View Full Version : Odd gaps and brake wierdness! ?

Moustachio
12-09-2010, 19:24
Hi folks, hope you can help with this one (actually two!!)...

the distance between the wheels and the arches is not uniform around the car! The front o/s and rear n/s are lower than the opposite sides! (Up to 1.8cm), quite noticeable just by looking, but I also measured from the rim to the arch.. any ideas? I've checked my springs etc, none are broken... drop links all look good.... could it be this threaded adjuster on the shocks (Koni adjustables) themselves?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/09/35.jpg

I checked both fronts and they seemed to be wound out about the same give or take half a mil.??

My other worry is after having replaced the brake pads and rotors myself... I've driven the car about 200 miles since doing... and they seem fine...but when investigating the above I noticed you can ever so slightly wiggle the calipers (ST165) on the front... is this normal? Or is it it a lazy piston or something? The rears are tight and unmovable (handbrake was off). The bolts are all tight as they can be.

???

Any help much appreciated

Jim-SR
12-09-2010, 20:58
those threaded caps are the gland nuts, they hold the insert into the case. its perfectly normal for thread to protrude, and its not always identical side to side. the tolerances on the inserts arent that great given that they are just for road cars, so theres nothing to worry about there so long as they are tight.

brake calipers can usually move a little as well. they are on sliders so its perfectly normal to have a little play. once the brake pedal is pushed down the play should all disappear as it will be clamping the disc.

different wheel arch gaps side to side isnt uncommon. it will most likely be down to spring sag. youve got ancient coil springs on there and they are just worn out. even with new springs there is usually a difference side to side, its an old road car after all. but it usually puts it somewhere closer.