PDA

View Full Version : What first?

BenV
29-05-2010, 08:24
Right i'm beginning to think about upgrading the suspension & chassis on my mk2 rev3 and have no idea where to start. What i want to end up with is a little more road feel and better steering response with out loosing too much ride comfort. Not too fussed about it being really low (bumper catching on speed bumps etc..) Whats the best place to start?

Jim-SR
30-05-2010, 15:12
assuming everything else is in good working order (e.g. ball joints, bushes, etc) then the most noticeable performance improvement youll make in the suspension is dampers, without a doubt.

whats your budget? because that determines which options are the best, but basically spend as much as you can on the dampers and youll yield the best results. poly bushes, springs, top mounts, etc are all pretty cheap by comparison, and are all very similar (spring rates vary, but they all cost basically the same regardless of rate). dampers are where the differences are made.

if ride comfort is still of importance to you, then dampers are even more important.

BenV
31-05-2010, 18:55
Well I was thinking of doing it in stages. But could wait and get it all done at once. was thinking of about £1k budget wise.

BenV
31-05-2010, 18:57
oh and yes ride comfort is quite important to me. would something like a set of yellow billies and some new springs (not sure what) be a good place to start then?

Paul_1972
31-05-2010, 19:55
Well my own plan for my mk1 is the Koni Sport spring / damper kit (just over £500), poly bushes (just over £100 for the lot from SBits) and eventually the Whiteline uprated anti-roll bars front and rear (£128 each from Camskill for the mk2)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m5b0s2404p14860

I'd suggest the springs / dampers plus poly bushes (anti roll bars are nice but maybe not worth it other than on a trackday use car??) and then make sure all ball joints / drop links / top mounts are in good condition as Jim says. Once you have replaced whatever you're going to then a proper 4-wheel alignment would be money well spent. I'd ensure all adjustment points are free'd up and copper greased before you go though - saves a lot of time and hopefully money.

BenV
01-06-2010, 22:52
Are the koni kits recommended for the mk2? seem like not a bad price for springs & dampers.