PDA

View Full Version : Can't get clutch to disengage 3SGE

Lee H
09-05-2010, 19:26
Just changed my 3SGE from a rev 2 to a rev 4 engine. I have used the rev 4 clutch but continued to use the rev 2 gearbox and release bearing.

The issue i'm now having is the clutch won't disengage when the pedal is down. The car can't be pushed so its like the release arm isn't moving enough?

I have been advised the clutches and release bearings are all interchangeable and I used the rev 4 one as it had double springs in the friction plate and more springs on the cover plate making it stronger than the rev 2 one.

I have spent several hours and various methods bleeding the system with no joy and have also tried the pedal in various positions. Its looking like the box may have to come back off but that is definitely a last resort.

Anyone any experience on this and can think of any reasons this combination wouldn't work?

Lee

Paul Woods
10-05-2010, 07:17
Do you actually have a clutch pedal though? Resistance in it as you press it? Is the slave cylinder actually moving?

Lee H
10-05-2010, 19:51
Yes, pedal feels exactly like it did before this engine swap. Slave cylinder moves what looks like quite a lot but obviously not quite enough.

Paul Woods
11-05-2010, 06:50
Try adjusting the clutch pedal a little

MR2Pagey
11-05-2010, 10:34
Did you align the clutch properly? It could be out of alignment

Did you ensure the fork was sat On the release bearing properly?

When you push the clutch pedal down, can you see the slave cylinder pin move the fork?

Are the linkage cables on properly? Try selecting gears with the clutch pressed, and using the shifter arms on the front of the gearbox.

If not I fear you're going to have to take the box back off and re-check everything. If I was close by i'd pop over and help.

Best of luck.

Lee H
11-05-2010, 21:48
Have adjusted the pedal all the way out so it's really high and it still won't release.

Didn't touch the release bearing from taking the gearbox off the other engine but I guess it could have been disturbed.

The slave cylinder moves the fork when clutch is depressed and gear cables are on and all gears select fine when engine not running.

Looking like gearbox off for a look this weekend. Looks like there is plenty of room without removing engine as well again.

MR2Pagey
12-05-2010, 07:08
Hi,

You don't need to remove the engine completely. You only need to remove the front, rear and driver side engine mount bolts and lower it on a jack. Ensure you remove the starter, air filter, earth straps first!

If your doing this on your own, getting the box back on can be a bit of a bastard, so get someone to help if you can. I'm going to guess your clutch isn't lined up properly.

Paul Woods
12-05-2010, 07:28
No the clutch has to be aligned otherwise the gearbox would not go back on.

My money is now on a back to front fitted clutch plate or release bearing has come adrift somehow.

Lee H
12-05-2010, 22:49
Clutch plate must be in the right way round otherwise the cover plate doesn't bolt flush up against the flywheel and I'd have noticed if I'd done that.

Can see taking this gearbox off being as much fun as taking the big heavy 6 speed off the Nova. Toyota 5 speeds are far heavier and bulkier than the Vauxhall 5 speeds I'm used to.

snowtigger
13-05-2010, 01:08
believe me the na gearbox is supriseingly lite weight compared to the turbo box as that is a proper ball buster, i can throw a na box but struggle to lift a turbo there just so god dam heavy.