PDA

View Full Version : 2GR-FE Insurrection.

MRV6
29-04-2010, 20:19
After much debate, discussion and cans of cider. Got to thank Paula and Johnny and Gouky for knocking some sense into me. I decided, well was told to go 2GR. Had to really, 300 + bhp out the box in n/a flavour.

Pre supercharged pic.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/293.jpg

Engine was put up for sale as a complete unit. In the end the supercharger was sold seperatly to Gidon and the engine package, manifolds exhaust were sold to Simon (Tripod 23).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/UK_MRV6/HDR/15Enhancer.jpg

Anth from Woodsport agreed to oversee the swap in return for a mountain bike, some sexual favours and a pot noodle. Paula and her trousers were also at hand in case we needed a cup of coffee.

Actual pic of Paula asking us if we want a cuppa.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/UK_MRV6/bring-out-the-gimp.jpg

So out with the eer new and in with newer!

The 2GR dressed up, Goukys headers and mounting kit. I have to say the workmanship on the headers and mounting kit is second to none.

Uber sexual 2GR.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/294.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/295.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/296.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/297.jpg

Engine hung.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/298.jpg

Subframe, drivedhafts, hubs, brakes hd wheels back on.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/299.jpg

Engine ensconsed No plumbing or wiring done. Car is ready to go up to A.A.S. Newcastle for an exhaust and mid section.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/300.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/301.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/302.jpg

Everything went pretty smoothly, the only downside was the rev 3 lsd box I bought. The support shaft that the release bearing runs along was snapped off, so in theory the box is Donald Ducked. Must have been taken off by some china in a shop full of bulls.

loadswine
29-04-2010, 23:16
Wow!!! Fantastic Phil. The beast just got beastier! :thumbsup:

MRV6
29-04-2010, 23:22
Thanks mate, I've seen Diesel Meisters car in action. You have to see these things to appreciate how bonkers they are. Bit dissapointed with the bloody gearbox though.

How's things with you mate?

loadswine
29-04-2010, 23:46
Its good this end thanks.
Yes that gearbox is a bit of a choker. Hope you get another sorted very soon. When I'm next up your way, you'll have to give me a ride in it!
I'd have loved a 2GR in mine, but don't have the funds for one right now. They are real pieces of auto art, especially with Gouky's manifolds ( headers)lol.

OlberJ
30-04-2010, 00:13
Top drawer Phil!

Be interesting to see how you feel this compares to the old setup.

You going for something special on the exxhuast setup with AAS?

MRV6
30-04-2010, 09:05
Its good this end thanks.
Yes that gearbox is a bit of a choker. Hope you get another sorted very soon. When I'm next up your way, you'll have to give me a ride in it!
I'd have loved a 2GR in mine, but don't have the funds for one right now. They are real pieces of auto art, especially with Gouky's manifolds ( headers)lol.

Yes mate, no problem. Hmmm a 2gr mk3 gets myvote.

MRV6
30-04-2010, 09:07
Top drawer Phil!

Be interesting to see how you feel this compares to the old setup.

You going for something special on the exxhuast setup with AAS?

Cheers Ollie, I've left it in Stuarts hands. I'm more than happy to go along with what he decides. Things ok with you mate.

Lee
30-04-2010, 11:35
Lovely stuff Phil, you kept this quiet!

You got an idea of when you're going to have it running?

MRV6
30-04-2010, 14:29
Hi Lee, well you should know what I'm like at decision making :).

I think it's going to be a good month or so before it's running. What exhaust are you going for mate?

Lee
30-04-2010, 15:18
I was going to go full custom and wanted a very similar style of backbox as what you have on yours. But with the rather expensive price of stainless it was going to be mega money. :icon_eek:

I came across another Fujitsubo Legalis R backbox on Ebay for £40. Figured with a catalytic converter which mine has to have, means it should be just right volume wise. Just getting quotes at the moment for the Y pipe/catalytic converter.

Are you not keeping the backbox on yours?

Edit- seen you sold it with the engine, you going for the same style backbox?

Diesel Meister
30-04-2010, 17:29
Awesome Phil - get some vids up soon mate :)

I hear from Paul you approved of my Mk1s accelerative ability :icon_lol:

MRV6
30-04-2010, 17:47
I originally asked Stuart to do a departure 2 style of exhaust. After talking to him this morning he said that he was worried about how loud the car would be because he could not fire it up to get a measure of the engine. I told him to go with he thought best, I don't mind the style I had before or a blitz nur spec style.

snowtigger
30-04-2010, 17:54
Looks well nice there, pita about the gearbox but these things are sent to try us.

This is now an uber sexy mk2 any plans body wise or are you leaving as is?

MRV6
30-04-2010, 18:49
Awesome Phil - get some vids up soon mate :)

I hear from Paul you approved of my Mk1s accelerative ability :icon_lol:

I tell you what mate, the cars that fast we went back to 1985. Paula had a curly perm, a crap moustache and a shell suit!

Seriously though mate it's mentally fast, your going to need a big footprint on the back to try and get some traction. The car snakes sideways when you put it into second until it get some purchase. It's going to kill some serious machinery at the lights. The video footage just does not tell the story of it's speed, I'll let you underpants testify to that.

MRV6
30-04-2010, 18:59
Looks well nice there, pita about the gearbox but these things are sent to try us.

This is now an uber sexy mk2 any plans body wise or are you leaving as is?

Cheers Tiggs, the gearbox might be salvageable. Just a big kick in the conkers.

Body wise I think this will be it I like the look of the car, might change the wheels.

When are you going ahead with yours mate?

snowtigger
30-04-2010, 20:00
as soon as paula has cleared the decks and given me the nod mate or the secret handshake shuffle, could be june/july/august not fussed realy as it gives me a bit longer to go looking at different rims for project sphincter, as the back will be 5 stud 114 mk2 spec i now have to go looking at different rimage it is a blessing realy as the momos wont fit over the st205 front brakes so i was going to get adamh to knock me a set of hubcentric spacers up but now i mite as well spend the money on new rims if i have to change the backs any way.

any thoughts of using goukys supercharger kit later, paul tells me the mk1 is just so rapid i wont need it yet.

MRV6
30-04-2010, 20:10
Good man, I'll pop over and kep an eye on her. I've seen her secret handshakes, when she thinks no-one is watching. Going to be interesting when choosing wheels.

Well the rotrex is sat in the garage. I got a shock just how brutal these cars are especially in a mk1. Defo need some kind of traction control. I suppose it would be rude not to supercharger her. You fancy putting on on:icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

snowtigger
30-04-2010, 20:41
yes just depends what mr bank manager says and how brown my underpants are after the first hard launch, i will probably pootle round in it for a bit then accidently one day think that prat in the audi tt is having some and frighten the willy off myself.

traction is just a question of how heavy your right foot is on the loud pedal, some one a few posts back was saying they can set up a doohickey to run independet abs of the back hubs and seeing as the cvs will are turbo with abs rings it would be a shame in the future to not utilize them.

Diesel Meister
30-04-2010, 23:16
I tell you what mate, the cars that fast we went back to 1985. Paula had a curly perm, a crap moustache and a shell suit! Comedic imagery overload :icon_lol:

Seriously though mate it's mentally fast, your going to need a big footprint on the back to try and get some traction. The car snakes sideways when you put it into second until it get some purchase. It's going to kill some serious machinery at the lights. The video footage just does not tell the story of it's speed, I'll let you underpants testify to that.

I look forward to it. I think the rear will need wider rims than I can get right now but I'll be having some custom jobs later on no doubt. And an underwear upgrade :icon_lol:

Keep the updates coming sir.

tripod23
02-05-2010, 11:09
your new 2gr looks top notch phil - was good to see you and paul again on friday and to meet anth, pity woodsport is so far away otherwise i think i would be down there more often , even if its just to get a soup and sandwich from the mobile van and to have the crack - everything is happening fast now after all these months of hanging around , good luck with the build mate keep the pictures coming .

MRV6
02-05-2010, 12:16
Hi Simon, good to met up again. Aye it's good crack over Woodsplurt.
I know what you mean about the time. I remember thinking it's months away and then all of sudden it's here.

Rowdan
02-05-2010, 16:27
Body wise I think this will be it I like the look of the car.

Quite right too, this is still my favourite Mk2. I was worried when you decided on the 2GR you might have put the whole car up for sale... I would have had to sell my surplus organs to raise some cash.:biggrin:
Anyway good luck with keeping it in a straight line when you SC it :cool:.

MRV6
02-05-2010, 18:36
Quite right too, this is still my favourite Mk2. I was worried when you decided on the 2GR you might have put the whole car up for sale... I would have had to sell my surplus organs to raise some cash.:biggrin:
Anyway good luck with keeping it in a straight line when you SC it :cool:.

Wow mate, thanks for the kind words. I've had numerous discussions with Paula and Jay about the TRD kit. Sometimes I really like the look of it and other times I think it's just too much. Well that and my wife would castrate me if I started buying more bodykit for the car.

I've bought a race logic traction control for it, I think it's a necess, a nesc a nesses any how it's a must for the engine.

snowtigger
02-05-2010, 23:20
That maybe the next phase in my project some kind of abs sensor traction control Thingame or just a light right foot.

I think this could be the ultimate black mk2, apart from a v8 conversioned convertible mk2.

MRV6
06-05-2010, 18:45
That maybe the next phase in my project some kind of abs sensor traction control Thingame or just a light right foot.

I think this could be the ultimate black mk2, apart from a v8 conversioned convertible mk2.

Thanks mate, I'll get you a pint in at the JAE. Yup defo need some kind of traction control on her mate!

Got the car back with the custom made mid section and exhaust. Have to admit I'm not too sure about the single exit exhaust, think I prefer the berk style. Might keep my eyes open for one.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

snowtigger
06-05-2010, 23:34
Don't forget the sound clip or even short video, I do like the big balls look at the back of the mk2 when it has a twin exit exhaust with twin round silencers, there's some thing quite threatening about that look on a black mk2.

MRV6
06-05-2010, 23:44
Shit Tiggs, might to have a rethink . I do like like the twin exit exhaust.

snowtigger
07-05-2010, 00:20
Its one of the reasons I whent and got a stainless mongoose for mr woods to fit to the mk1, I may go single big bore yet or the mongoose not decided yet as I don't whant it too loud as officer dibell doesn't like that sort of thing round our way or get mr woods to do two pipes from the same down poop location.
It's like the Rudy wheels one minute I think I've cracked the design I like for the mk2 rear 5 stud but they don't do either 17x8 in that design or a 4 stud front version, then I'm bamboozeled by tyres if it's 17x8 what's the maximum 235x30 235x45 argh all I know is my fronts are 17/205 as I'm keeping the front tyres as there's still tons of tread left.
If only I could find some wheels that go over the brakes and look fairly decent in a good size ho hum.

Have been looking at some rota grid drift and gtr alloys in flat black google em and let us know what you think mate as I value your opinion.

MRV6
07-05-2010, 00:50
Oh decisions, decisions. I like rota grids. It's a bit of a twat having to find a 4/5 stud combo.

Stu reckons single exit exhausts get more power????

tripod23
07-05-2010, 07:46
oh you have the car back phil great news - are you not happy mate - get some pics up then we can take a look at the the exhaust for you . while your at it can you take off those wiring blocks as iv been a bad lad and made a start with the 1mz , i know i said i wasnt going to but what the hell .

ps phil you need to clear your messages / inbox as i tried to send you a message last night and it wouldnt allow me to because your inbox was full or something.

Paul Woods
07-05-2010, 07:48
yeah phil, clear your inbox :)

snowtigger
08-05-2010, 19:51
So will we be seeing your good self at jae then this year I take it if there's a drink involved?
I'm bringing my 25 year old malt scotch whisky to toast the 2gr's birth in a new home.
Would be nice to have a gander at your lovely mk2 with the 2gr fitted.

MRV6
08-05-2010, 20:13
So will we be seeing your good self at jae then this year I take it if there's a drink involved?
I'm bringing my 25 year old malt scotch whisky to toast the 2gr's birth in a new home.
Would be nice to have a gander at your lovely mk2 with the 2gr fitted.

Yeah Tiggs all being well I'll be at the JAE.

Ohh man after my own heart, 25 year old malt.

MRV6
08-05-2010, 20:27
Some pics of the exhaust.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/221.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/222.jpg

nik
08-05-2010, 21:15
nice, subtle AND shiney..

snowtigger
08-05-2010, 22:18
i may bring a selection to jae then auchentoshan three wood triple distilled in american boubon oak then finished inoloroso and pedro ximenez sherry casks very smooth low land scotch,edradour the smallest distillery in scotland, highland park, and balvenie double wood some of my favourites.

as for the exhaust hmmmm looks lob sided to me needs either a false left side to even it up or twin exit, i can understand a single flowing more as theres less obstruction its a toss off realy against looks versus performance any how we need a sound clip of it running, doe's it float your boat that is the question is the sound mellow at idle and roarty at full bore?

MRV6
09-05-2010, 09:06
Thanks guys but I think I like the twin exit look.

tripod23
09-05-2010, 09:53
phil dont worry about it for the time being mate, it may grow on you in time once you get the 2gr fired up .looks to me like stuart has done a nice job.

you can always alter the look later on - once you have told the misses that its time for another engine swap .

now it needs plumbing and wiring so get cracking.......

MRV6
19-05-2010, 18:41
Had the mid section off the car today so Paula could weld in some lambda sensor bungs. Took some pics off and on the car.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/238.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/104.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/239.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/105.jpg

Paul Woods
19-05-2010, 19:00
Those knees are pure sex aren't they...

MRV6
19-05-2010, 19:08
Aye you got your new trousers just in time!

nik
19-05-2010, 19:09
i prefer the elbows (see what i did there?)

MRV6
19-05-2010, 19:51
Come to think of it, it could have been his moobs!

snowtigger
19-05-2010, 20:32
he is getting to that time in his life?

OlberJ
19-05-2010, 22:12
They don't miss with the pipework do they?

Looking good Pheel. :)

Paul Woods
20-05-2010, 06:45
AAS are masters at what they do in my opinion.

Garbe
20-05-2010, 07:29
This car Phil is going from good to great. The exhuast work is stunning, nicely tucked away under the engine with no chance of scraping it. This is definately one of my fav twos, especially with this new engine. Is this going to be the first mk2 2gr in the uk / Europe. If so Phillis hAs done it again.

Paul Woods
20-05-2010, 07:35
Garbe mate are you living on the moon? lol We've already built several, granted 355 replicas but we did do a Norwegian 2gr Mk2 before those.

snowtigger
20-05-2010, 10:27
It's okay paul the lads on a delayed timer next he will be sayin a mk1 v8 where did that come from, that was quick work.

Garbe
20-05-2010, 21:39
Really ! I've clearly not been paying attention - gets searching the Woodsport forum

tripod23
14-06-2010, 11:59
hi phil iv tried to message you but your inbox must be full - hows the swap coming along any progress on the 2gr weapon.

MRV6
14-06-2010, 18:11
Hi Simon how's tricks? I hope to have some news soon mate.

tripod23
14-06-2010, 18:14
i have phil iv made some good progress all the detailing work has come on nicely - how you going on mate

clear your inbox then i will message you

MRV6
14-06-2010, 19:22
Good man, I will clear my inbox so you can message me.

Paul Woods
14-06-2010, 19:24
Yes clear your inbox Phil!

MRV6
14-06-2010, 19:28
Paula as the great Mother Teresa once said, "fook off you gimp!"

Paul Woods
14-06-2010, 19:31
I will once you clear your inbox :)

MRV6
14-06-2010, 20:08
Tis cleansed Twat heed!

Gouky
22-06-2010, 13:39
wow, how did i miss this thread. it's looking absolutely gorgeous. that y-pipe is the best looking one so far!

if someone were to make a template of that exhaust and make them, i know there would be some sales.

MRV6
22-06-2010, 23:17
Hi Marc, how's things mate? I would imagine there was a jig made up when the mid section was fabbed up. I can ask if you like?

Gouky
22-06-2010, 23:49
yeah, get a price to if you would. i'd like one of those pipes, preferably with the last bend left off and no flange on the output.

also, ask if they are interested in doing any production runs. if they are, have them get a hold of me and i'll discuss it with them. I keep getting requests for a y-pipe and this one is very nice.

MRV6
19-08-2010, 21:16
Well a monumentous day today peeps. I had my first drive of a mk2 2gr..............................

and it was my car! I can't rabbit on too much cos I have to go to work. Any doubts I had about getting rid of a low milage supercharged 1mz have now been laid to rest. This engine is the boy, it's a bastarding total animal. Lights the back tyres up like they are made of butter and the road is made of castrol gtx on ice. So much so that I'm thinking of selling my supercharger and leaving the car as it is. I defo need an LSD gearbox though and a parachute.

nik
19-08-2010, 21:27
ooh sounds bloody marvellous, these 2gr's are impressing the hell out of me..!

snowtigger
19-08-2010, 21:36
Sooooo it's good then is it?

Good job then that I have an LSD fitted whistles a merry tune.

So your bringing the black beast to jae that's going to be a memorable trip this year if you do.

MRV6
19-08-2010, 21:37
Yup mate they are impressive, as said before I went from a supercharged 1mz but this thing is brutal in every sense of the word.

MRV6
19-08-2010, 21:40
Sooooo it's good then is it?

Good job then that I have an LSD fitted whistles a merry tune.

So your bringing the black beast to jae that's going to be a memorable trip this year if you do.

I hope to make this years JAE , I should be starting a new job early in September and I very much hope that it does not intefere with my JAE plans

snowtigger
19-08-2010, 21:52
I can't wait fingers crossed be good to compare the performance of the mk2 versus the mk1.

adamh
19-08-2010, 22:12
well done then!, have to say again that Y pipe just makes perfect sense of shape.

loadswine
20-08-2010, 09:16
Cracking stuff matey! :thumbsup:

tripod23
20-08-2010, 09:43
nice one phil glad everything has turned out well mate - right where do i get a 2gr ha ha

how does the exhaust sound phil are you happy now with it having a single exit as you had some concerns when it was first done

MRV6
20-08-2010, 13:49
Cracking stuff matey! :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, how's things with you?

MRV6
20-08-2010, 13:56
nice one phil glad everything has turned out well mate - right where do i get a 2gr ha ha

how does the exhaust sound phil are you happy now with it having a single exit as you had some concerns when it was first done

Hi Simon, the exhaust sounds ok but I like the symmetry of the twin tail pipes. I'm looking at getting a berk exhaust system for the car as opposed to a berk driving it!

loadswine
20-08-2010, 18:54
Cheers mate, how's things with you?

All good here Phil, keeping my 2 after all. Would love to pop a 2GR in there one day.
Enjoy yours mate, it sounds as if its totally brilliant.

tripod23
20-08-2010, 19:35
dont tell the misses phil otherwise she will have you balls off mate - what another exhaust i can hear her saying blah blah blah - get it ordered phil dont listen to her

MRV6
20-08-2010, 19:52
All good here Phil, keeping my 2 after all. Would love to pop a 2GR in there one day.
Enjoy yours mate, it sounds as if its totally brilliant.

Good man! A 2gr in a mk2 would be awesome mate, you would be able to travel to the far side of the universe. Be able to see Paul in his star wars bar.

MRV6
20-08-2010, 19:54
dont tell the misses phil otherwise she will have you balls off mate - what another exhaust i can hear her saying blah blah blah - get it ordered phil dont listen to her

Si she agrees with me, she like the symertry of the twin exhaust. Can't go wrong there mate.

tripod23
20-08-2010, 20:42
awesome stuff - so your telling me you have converted the misses as well as the 2

top work...ha ha

MRV6
20-08-2010, 21:15
awesome stuff - so your telling me you have converted the misses as well as the 2

top work...ha ha

She likes the car mate, she's into cars.

The only thing she has converted is our bedroom so we can get all her shoes in!

Rowdan
20-08-2010, 21:29
She likes the car mate, she's into cars.

The only thing she has converted is our bedroom so we can get all her shoes in!

I think my Mrs and her may have been separated at birth...like cars... but not as much as shoes. :rofl:

Lee
20-08-2010, 21:51
Welcome to the 2GR club matey. Looks like we're part of a pretty exclusive club.:thumbsup:

Only 2 roadgoing UK Mk2's as far as I know (Excluding Ferrari replicas and rally MR2's)

MRV6
20-08-2010, 22:15
Welcome to the 2GR club matey. Looks like we're part of a pretty exclusive club.:thumbsup:

Only 2 roadgoing UK Mk2's as far as I know (Excluding Ferrari replicas and rally MR2's)

Hi Lee, if people had a go in a 2gr engined car I don't think they would be exclusive for long. I'm totally blown away with it mate, it pulls like a one armed popeye on spinach having a wank!

MRV6
20-08-2010, 22:17
I think my Mrs and her may have been separated at birth...like cars... but not as much as shoes. :rofl:

Tell me about it mate, she has more shoes than a family of millipedes.

snowtigger
20-08-2010, 22:38
Sounds like my missus a shoeaholic, why do you need those shoes and the reply is "incase" incase of what says I " incase they match a dress I like".
We now have shoe racks and shoe wardrobes and if I could afford it she has seen one of these nifty shoe pull down racks in B and bloody Q.

MRV6
20-08-2010, 22:49
Sounds like my missus a shoeaholic, why do you need those shoes and the reply is "incase" incase of what says I " incase they match a dress I like".
We now have shoe racks and shoe wardrobes and if I could afford it she has seen one of these nifty shoe pull down racks in B and bloody Q.

We need on of those warehouses that's on Indiana Jones!

Lee
20-08-2010, 22:51
Hi Lee, if people had a go in a 2gr engined car I don't think they would be exclusive for long. I'm totally blown away with it mate, it pulls like a one armed popeye on spinach having a wank!

Think that's my quote of the month!! lol

I don't think it's possible to get across how amazing this engine is until you take them for a spin in it. I'm absolutely smitten with it :)

MRV6
20-08-2010, 23:02
Think that's my quote of the month!! lol

I don't think it's possible to get across how amazing this engine is until you take them for a spin in it. I'm absolutely smitten with it :)

Here here mate, Paula and Anth have been onto me for ages about the 2gr and how good it was.

snowtigger
20-08-2010, 23:35
Paul keeps telling me that in the mk1 I will not believe how fast it will go and that I just won't be prepared for it.
And thanks for the mental image of popeye pulling his pud mate.

MRV6
20-08-2010, 23:44
Paul keeps telling me that in the mk1 I will not believe how fast it will go and that I just won't be prepared for it.
And thanks for the mental image of popeye pulling his pud mate.

Tiggs it's a proper Star Trek moment. When they engage the warp drive/first gear then it goes beserk. You have no perseption of depth or distance cos the twat goes so quickly. Better practice your, "Scottie warp factor 9"!

snowtigger
21-08-2010, 00:06
She can a take it cap'n the delithium crystals are destabilizing Said in a dodgy scooted accent

nik
21-08-2010, 09:13
cant wait for a ride a JAE..!!

snowtigger
21-08-2010, 09:21
Hopefully this jae is going to be very memorable this year.

nik
21-08-2010, 10:09
everyone i've spoken to is very excited about this years event, more so than in recent years.! it seems people are feeling rejuvenated and positive. with some great original swaps and new cars to dribble over..beer, friends, cars what more do you need?!

MRV6
22-08-2010, 18:21
Well seen as I now have the car back, I've started to tidy up the engine bay as order by Mrs. Paula W.

Pics just after engine install.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/140.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/141.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/142.jpg

Bit of elbow grease.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/143.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/144.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/145.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/146.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/147.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/148.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/08/149.jpg

Need to paint the strut brace red and the fuse box cover. Might have an issue with the strut brace clearance.

snowtigger
22-08-2010, 18:36
Looking good there phill, is the strut brace too low stick a couple of washers under untill you can get a pair of plates made the correct thick ness.

MRV6
22-08-2010, 18:39
Cheers Tiggs, I have some washers on already.

Paul Woods
22-08-2010, 18:55
Phillis, just make sure it has PLENTY of clearance, that plenum is plastic, one tap on that brace could crack it very easily mate.

MRV6
22-08-2010, 19:03
Phillis, just make sure it has PLENTY of clearance, that plenum is plastic, one tap on that brace could crack it very easily mate.

Aye mate it's a worry, might be better just taking the strut brace off.

Paul Woods
22-08-2010, 19:06
I wouldn't risk it at all unless i was 100% sure it will clear, especially on the overrun when the engine pops back up at the back, just not worth the risk if it's close, imagine trying to get a replacement!

I can make you some sort of brace that clears if you are that needy of one mate.

MRV6
22-08-2010, 19:12
I'll take it off mate, I'll keep my eyes open for a one that has a bit of a lift in it.

adamh
22-08-2010, 22:14
looks the biz, a ton of work has gone into that bay.

Diesel Meister
23-08-2010, 12:49
Fright club is startnig to look a bit more healthy in the membership stakes lads!

We might have more roadgoing 2GR MR2s than the US at this rate.

Top class Phil :thumbsup:

Moustachio
23-08-2010, 13:24
Nice, you could eat your dinner off that :)

MRV6
24-08-2010, 01:05
Fright club is startnig to look a bit more healthy in the membership stakes lads!

We might have more roadgoing 2GR MR2s than the US at this rate.

Top class Phil :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, it's all a bit of an unknown quantity things like this. But hell fire they are awesome, they have to be experianced to be believed!

MRV6
24-08-2010, 01:06
Nice, you could eat your dinner off that :)

Thanks mate it's getting there!

MRV6
28-08-2010, 22:14
I've turned round the strut brace and I've got a 1cm gap betwix the inlet manifold and the brace. Is this enough Paula how much movement is in the engine??

snowtigger
28-08-2010, 23:10
I would take it of mate get some one to blip the throttle and see how much deflection there is of the engine, or loosely fit it and put some lipstick on the underside of the strut brace or on top of the plenum rev the engine and see if there's any marks on the plenum or strut brace which ever one you didn't put the lipstick on.

Lee
28-08-2010, 23:30
You'll get a decent idea of the movement when it's in gear, ideally a low gear coming off full throttle to over-run.

Have you uprated the torque mounts at all?

Personally if there's doubt, take it off it makes little or no difference to the car especially on the road. I've nothing on mine and I can't tell the difference from my strutbraced Rev2 turbo.

adamh
28-08-2010, 23:59
have you got room to lift the strut brace up say 8-10mm, and use as thinner nut & loctite above, if you do i'll smash off some thick washers for you like 8-10mm thick, 25 OD 8-10 ID.

MRV6
29-08-2010, 10:19
The strut brace now has 8 -10mm but I'm still not sure it's enough.

adamh
29-08-2010, 10:41
what im saying is do you want to lift it another 8-10mm, just put some thick washers (spacers really) under the bolt mounts, if you want, takes me about 5 min, just holla.

MRV6
29-08-2010, 17:05
That's gave me an idea, I can bolt the suspension down and if there is enough thread left I can bolt the brace onto that. Should give me enough clearance.

MRV6
04-09-2010, 23:28
Jay took some pics of the engine bay today. Had a little tickle in the car today and I'm in two minds. It's quite capable of interspace travel but I'm thinking a standalone might be next on the agender. The rev limiter kicks in too soon, I think an ecu would sort this our nicely. Plus if you do go supercharger, you would prolly need to go Stan Danlone anyhow???????

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/09/185.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/09/186.jpg

Ohh got some low rise quid lights as well!

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/09/187.jpg

snowtigger
04-09-2010, 23:54
Any idea which standalone your thinking of the solaris or what ever it's called this week, as they haven cracked the vvti code last time I looked.

After the ecu it would be bigger injectors then supercharger, I can't wait to give my car a spin round pauls yard.

MRV6
05-09-2010, 00:24
Tiggs it's hard to explain, I had a go at a high powered car today. I got killed but it's the fastest car I know of and in some kind of strange way Lucretia come out of it well. I wouldn't have any hasitation of putting her up against anything. Tiggs these engine are awesome, power all the time. My train of thought at the moment is the rev limiter, if you went standalone you would get more driveability. Plus you could combine the two and get traction control. Even some kind of piggyback?? It's defo not my field mate, haven't a clue.

Torero
05-09-2010, 14:16
Looks awesome Phil :thumbsup:

Gouky
05-09-2010, 14:24
Matt at monkeywrench racing has successfully raised the rev limit to 7600 on the 2gr. The HP does not climb, but it Does not fall either. Stays right around 300rwhp for the last 1300 rpms.

Aware
05-09-2010, 15:23
Lucretia come out of it well.

Ahh...that's her name...very, very apt... :thumbsup:

On ECUs...anyone able to control VVT yet(Gouky prob the best to answer this)??

'Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me'

Bad(as in badass) tune; bad vehicle... :icon_mrgreen:

Paul Woods
05-09-2010, 15:51
I call her "excretia"

adamh
05-09-2010, 19:52
that engine is probably cleaner then new! look forward to hearing it

snowtigger
05-09-2010, 19:56
Looks fantastic excretia like shit of a shovel.

dgh938peg
05-09-2010, 23:18
ECU wise, Rogue have had Thor Racing fit Link G4 Extremes on their two mk3 2GR race cars. Pretty sure the Solaris (Syvecs) would do it too. needs to be dual vvti capable.

(I've bought the G4 Extreme for my 3UZ)

snowtigger
06-09-2010, 00:18
From the reports I heard the links have the vvti locked on full bore, so not variable, syvecs have been working on sorting the vvti we live in hope.

tripod23
06-09-2010, 07:57
looking very slick now phil - theres a fair bit of spit and polish gone on that 2gr.

once pauls has finshed the mk1 i can see you two thrashing it out on the woodsport yard .

whats next on the list then phil are you going stand alone

im made up for ya mate.

Paul Woods
06-09-2010, 07:59
once pauls has finshed the mk1 i can see you two thrashing it out on the woodsport yard

Although our Phil is an extremely handsome chap i'm afraid i just don't swing that way mate!

tripod23
06-09-2010, 08:58
ha ha - yeah but what about phil

snowtigger
06-09-2010, 12:26
ha ha - yeah but what about phil

I think our Phillis swings his bat for the home team and not for the other club.

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:14
I eat "excretia"

So that's who orders the shit sandwiches???

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:17
Looks awesome Phil :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, I tried Jays Advan RZ on on Saturday. Very bloody sexiful type sexy wheels they are!

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/09/188.jpg

snowtigger
06-09-2010, 18:19
Wooooo sexy ass wheels there phill look stonking on your motor mate.

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:19
Ahh...that's her name...very, very apt... :thumbsup:

On ECUs...anyone able to control VVT yet(Gouky prob the best to answer this)??

'Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me'

Bad(as in badass) tune; bad vehicle... :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks mate, nice to see someone with some taste.

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:26
that engine is probably cleaner then new! look forward to hearing it

Thanks Adam it's getting there.

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:30
Matt at monkeywrench racing has successfully raised the rev limit to 7600 on the 2gr. The HP does not climb, but it Does not fall either. Stays right around 300rwhp for the last 1300 rpms.

Is that standalone Marc?

Paul Woods
06-09-2010, 18:34
Get Jays wheels off! :)

You better be going to JAE, i pulled my finger out and got that ready so you could go!

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:37
looking very slick now phil - theres a fair bit of spit and polish gone on that 2gr.

once pauls has finshed the mk1 i can see you two thrashing it out on the woodsport yard .

whats next on the list then phil are you going stand alone

im made up for ya mate.

Hi Si, next up is some bedroom furniture (that's not going into the car like) and maybe a set of wheels. I do like Jays RZ's. Jay says I need some fook owf brakes oop front. I'm not even sure the engine needs supercharging, it really is an all round brutal package.

Paul can keep his pork sausage where it is.

MRV6
06-09-2010, 18:38
Get Jays wheels off! :)

You better be going to JAE, i pulled my finger out and got that ready so you could go!

Should know by the middle of the week son!

You up for a game of five a side on Thursday?

DarkMousy
08-09-2010, 00:48
Is that standalone Marc?

IIRC it's a greddy piggyback (emanage?)

snowtigger
08-09-2010, 01:00
And how much is one of those I wonder.

Gouky
08-09-2010, 01:30
I get discounts on greddy stuff. But I'm out of town right now. I'll check ASAP.

MRV6
10-09-2010, 23:47
I get discounts on greddy stuff. But I'm out of town right now. I'll check ASAP.

Marc is the geddy e manage compatable with the supercharger?

Gouky
11-09-2010, 00:31
yes, i talked with Matt from MWR a bit and we're going to increase the rev-limit on my car and dyno it since it has my exhaust on it. we'll see if my shorty headers can do any better than his long tube headers. it'll be nice since it's on the exact same dyno that the elise was done on.

he said that the emanage can do the supercharger but the injectors might be too small for the job. we'll see once we do my car. i'm really hopping for 300~310HP to the ground(naturally aspirated). but i'll tell you guys in a few weeks.

MRV6
11-09-2010, 12:57
Cool keep us posted mate!!!

Gouky
11-09-2010, 13:26
honestly i really would have rather used the X-One. but the person i was in contact with there has started ignoring me for no apparent reason.

I can't just buy one and try it since their units are only 100% tunable by dealers and without a 100% tunable unit i'd actually be lowering the 2GR's rev-limit.

anyways, enough with that frustration. the e-manage unit is definately much cheaper but it does have it's drawbacks.

(take the following with a grain of salt. I haven't done it yet but this is the way I understand it to be)

-the 2GR rev-limiter is just a fuel cut.
-variable cam timing, ignition timing and knock control all work above and beyond the stock rev-limit. (and appear to be adequate to at least 7300RPMs)
-the 2GR's mass air sensor in a 3" pipe is not maxed out at the stock horsepower.

This means, all the e-manage needs to do is take over fueling at 6300RPMs which is where the ECU starts reducing power normally. everything else will continue to work as Toyota designed.

the good news is the e-manage continues to fuel based on the mass air sensor. the other good news is since the 6300-7300 rpm range isn't used unless you're really trying to push it, there's no reason to nut just go to a slightly richer/safer A/F ratio to make up for the ECU's lack of understanding all of the extra engine operating conditions.

As it stands I have made a new y-pipe to be equal length to both banks and use the Berk tail section. I'll make sure to get a before dyno chart just to see if the y-pipe matters that much.

The other bad news is I am currently out of the country so this will have to wait just a bit before I can get started. I'm currently in Brazil on a business trip, but not for very much longer.

Lee
13-09-2010, 10:02
i'm really hopping for 300~310HP to the ground(naturally aspirated). but i'll tell you guys in a few weeks.

After I've done 750 miles in the last 3 days in mine that sort of figure sounds awesome in n/a form. The way this thing demolishes long lines of traffic on single carriageway stuff is fantastic as it is! Certainly steers me away from the thought of supercharging as I think the figures you're quoting in n/a form is about my limit for UK roads. :thumbsup:

An increase in revs would be worth it just for extending the bellow it makes above 4000rpm, video clips do sanitise what it's really like!

MRV6
13-09-2010, 21:11
After I've done 750 miles in the last 3 days in mine that sort of figure sounds awesome in n/a form. The way this thing demolishes long lines of traffic on single carriageway stuff is fantastic as it is! Certainly steers me away from the thought of supercharging as I think the figures you're quoting in n/a form is about my limit for UK roads. :thumbsup:

An increase in revs would be worth it just for extending the bellow it makes above 4000rpm, video clips do sanitise what it's really like!

I'm on the same train of thought Lee, lift the rev limit. Very tempted to supercharge her though, imagine what it would be like?

snowtigger
13-09-2010, 22:01
I'm on the same train of thought Lee, lift the rev limit. Very tempted to supercharge her though, imagine what it would be like?

Undriveable.

MRV6
13-09-2010, 22:19
You reckon Tiggs??

snowtigger
13-09-2010, 23:04
From what Woodsy said to me 300+ is mental in na form on the 2gr, sc would just put it over the edge into nutter territory, then again that's in a mk1 not a flabby mk2 raspberry smiley.
Personaly I'm going to run round in it for a bit maybe piggy back ecu and gearbox upgrade first then think about sc or even turbo hmm intercooled let's just find out how it handles and drives and puts the power down, I can't wait for the vid round the yard mate.

Gouky
13-09-2010, 23:26

the soundtrack on this thing is intoxicating, isn't it? i'll down shift sometimes just to hear it.

Diesel Meister
14-09-2010, 17:56
I love the way it sounds completely different when the VVTi gets going above 4krpms. Feral.

That and the fact that it gulps air so hard it sounds like the whistle of a turbo :icon_lol:

Tiggs - trust me, it is scary fast in a Mk1, even in relatively standard form. You can gain 30-50mph stupidly fast, even in 5th!

MRV6
29-10-2010, 17:45
Ok peeps, ladies and gentleman and Paula. Had the car on the rollers today. Very happy esp with the torque figure.

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/10/166.jpg

The guy was saying that if we could get the rev limit higher it should hit 337-340 bhp, as it was still making power when the rev limiter kicked in.

Paul Woods
29-10-2010, 17:56
Yawn! i'd be more impressed if you'd had yer wallet weighed. :)

I blame the installer, if that had been done elsewhere it'd see 350bhp eeeeeasily!

MRV6
29-10-2010, 18:00
Yawn! i'd be more impressed if you'd had yer wallet weighed. :)

I blame the installer, if that had been done elsewhere it'd see 350bhp eeeeeasily!

Cheers Twat-Heed, where the hell would I get my wallet weighed?

Paul Woods
29-10-2010, 18:06
No idea, but i'd visit Dryburn Hospital first to have it surgically removed. :)

PS. Nice dyno result mate.

OlberJ
29-10-2010, 18:06
Cheers Twat-Heed, where the hell would I get my wallet weighed?

Well if you weigh a whale at a whale-weigh station, maybe the same place you'd weigh a pie?

MRV6
29-10-2010, 18:11
Well the last time I had the car weighed (without my wallet in) it was 1170 kg's, gives around 278 bhp/ton.

MRV6
29-10-2010, 18:12
No idea, but i'd visit Dryburn Hospital first to have it surgically removed. :)

PS. Nice dyno result mate.

Anyhow shouldn't you be out halloweening, you'll make a fortune this weekend!

Rowdan
29-10-2010, 18:18
Well the last time I had the car weighed (without my wallet in) it was 1170 kg's, gives around 278 bhp/ton.

That'll put you in between the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and the Mercedes E63 AMG, that may not sound that impressive 'til you see all the other cars below you on the list (http://www.letstorquebhp.com/rwd.asp?sort=BHP_Per_Ton). :eusa_dance:
Bizzarely you have to look all the way down at 207 bhp/ton to find the Lotus Evora.

jevansio
29-10-2010, 18:24
Awesome result Phil

Stop pissing around with a rev limiter for a poxy 10-15bhp and get that supercharger wacked on :)

Paul Woods
29-10-2010, 18:52
Anyhow shouldn't you be out halloweening, you'll make a fortune this weekend!

Says the man who still has his frigging carol singing money.

MRV6
29-10-2010, 19:05
That'll put you in between the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and the Mercedes E63 AMG, that may not sound that impressive 'til you see all the other cars below you on the list (http://www.letstorquebhp.com/rwd.asp?sort=BHP_Per_Ton). :eusa_dance:
Bizzarely you have to look all the way down at 207 bhp/ton to find the Lotus Evora.

Thanks mate, great info!

MRV6
29-10-2010, 19:07
Awesome result Phil

Stop pissing around with a rev limiter for a poxy 10-15bhp and get that supercharger wacked on :)

What are you trying to say mate, stop beating around the bush and say it! Hmm I shall have to think about that. I think new brakes are top of the list at the moment.

MRV6
29-10-2010, 19:10
Says the man who still has his frigging carol singing money.

I've still got my tooth fairy money.

snowtigger
29-10-2010, 20:47
Very interesting that the mk1 weighs slightly less than the vauxhall vx220 at mk1a 925 vx220 930 and a evora weighs 1350 I wonder what my car weighs now, must got to the tip and use there weigh bridge to find out.

MRV6
29-10-2010, 21:51
Weight reduction is something I've had a go at sinse I got the car mate. Be interesting to know the two different engine weights, still going to be a hell of a power to weight ratio.

Lee
30-10-2010, 21:39
Nice results Phil!

Are you going too put the supercharger on?

I was thinking about it and it's right on the edge of safe performance for me at the moment. It's accessible without being scarey and I jump in it knowing it will be fun to drive and i don't get the feeling the car wants to kill me (well a little bit). Anyway you're a braver man than I if you do go for it!!

snowtigger
30-10-2010, 23:10
Lee I know we all have 2 gr power but I wonder if diesel master and myself have the same experiance, our cars do feel like there trying to kill us lol sc hmmm trying to get over how violent in the mk1 this thing is.

MRV6
31-10-2010, 10:42
Nice results Phil!

Are you going too put the supercharger on?

I was thinking about it and it's right on the edge of safe performance for me at the moment. It's accessible without being scarey and I jump in it knowing it will be fun to drive and i don't get the feeling the car wants to kill me (well a little bit). Anyway you're a braver man than I if you do go for it!!

Hi Lee, the first thing I must do is to get an lsd gearbox fitted. The tyres are just lighting up in 2nd gear. I have an rev 3 lsd box that had the support shaft broken when it was er (cough cough) gently removed. I don't know if it's fixable or not. When I get this sorted, I have a race logic traction control to go on. From what I've been told these are a cracking bit of kit. Then I need some bigger brakes on the front. After all that if I'm not an octagenarian I think I will put the supercarger on. Have to mate cos Jay says

MRV6
31-10-2010, 10:42
Lee I know we all have 2 gr power but I wonder if diesel master and myself have the same experiance, our cars do feel like there trying to kill us lol sc hmmm trying to get over how violent in the mk1 this thing is.

It's violent all round mate.

tripod23
31-10-2010, 13:00
great results on the rollers phil - i did check that bearing shaft with the guys at my toyota dealership and there is nothing that shows up as being the part you need , looks like you may have to see if the casings are interchangable [ what a bastard ] but maybe doable.

Lee
31-10-2010, 13:55
Hi Lee, the first thing I must do is to get an lsd gearbox fitted. The tyres are just lighting up in 2nd gear.

You'll have non of that (in the dry) with an LSD box, mind I have 265 profile tyres on the rear but you do hear them scrabbling for grip as it squats down and goes :smile:

MRV6
31-10-2010, 15:44
great results on the rollers phil - i did check that bearing shaft with the guys at my toyota dealership and there is nothing that shows up as being the part you need , looks like you may have to see if the casings are interchangable [ what a bastard ] but maybe doable.

Aye mate, I have to say I'm a happy bunny. I might just keep my eyes open for a rev 3 lsd box mate.

MRV6
31-10-2010, 15:45
You'll have non of that (in the dry) with an LSD box, mind I have 265 profile tyres on the rear but you do hear them scrabbling for grip as it squats down and goes :smile:

I have 265 on my rears as well mate.

snowtigger
31-10-2010, 16:09
stop bragging i have lowly 245 but by christ when tha lsd rev3 box puts the power down it doesnt half go quick in straight line and drifts for fun.

nuk1ear
06-06-2012, 14:44
ever get any further on this one?