View Full Version : Looking for any mechanics to look over my MK1b engine, I live near M1 jct 23?

T-bar88
28-04-2010, 15:36
Hello to all, I have a MK1b that I changed the head gasket on last year. It started and ran ok, but I know that it was not set up correctly, and was not idling right.

It has been on my drive since last year, I tried to start it a few weeks ago but no luck. I wonder if there are any mechanics that live near Whitwick, a few miles from jct 23 M1. I would like some who understands the mr2 engine and can have a look at the engine for me, and would be able to give me some help or just advice as to get it running again as I have had it for 8 years and love the car.

I am willing to pay for any services,:eusa_pray: and would appreciate any recommendations, as I would love to get her running for the summer.

Many thanks to all for any replies.

Paolo

Jiff Lemon
28-04-2010, 20:09
So apart from "not idling right", what else can you tell us?

Does it rev cleanly (any misfires?)
Any stored fault codes?
Can it run and not overheat?
Video of it running?

T-bar88
29-04-2010, 11:06
Hi Jiff Lemon, last year the head gasket went so I thought I would try and change it myself. After assembling the top back and all other parts, I turned the key and she started up. I realised that the car would need to be setup after the work I carried out, I did have two fault codes 7 & 11 flashes. 7 is open or short circuit in throttle position sensor signal and 11 could be idle switch off, this would seem to fit with the way that the car was running. When I would start the car, it felt as if the cold start was not working and ran at low revs. After a few minutes I would give it some revs and it would cut out, did this a few times and did the same thing. There were no misfires but I know the timing was not spot on, and it did not appear to over heat but I know that when I filled up and bled the cooling system that it was not quite right. I tried to check some areas that I thought were causing the faults but I just did not now enough to sort it out. The car does not start, I think it could be the starter but I have not looked at it since. I really could do with someone with the knowledge to look at the engine, especially as it will not start now. I am not a skilled mechanic but I have done quite a bit of work to my Mr2.
Paolo

So apart from "not idling right", what else can you tell us?

Does it rev cleanly (any misfires?)
Any stored fault codes?
Can it run and not overheat?
Video of it running?

adamh
29-04-2010, 21:19
did you remove the throttle position sensor at-all when you stripped the head off, do you have a multimeter and feeler gauges?

T-bar88
29-04-2010, 21:50
Yes I did remove the sensor. I marked its position cleaned it and put it back as it was.

adamh
29-04-2010, 23:37
well, you should reset with feeler gauges and a meter, as per the manual, it can cause problems with throttling i.e dropping revs after throtling it if it not set properly but..., that will not stop it from starting,.... it will just give it a bad response when throtling.
I was just prying about your previous issues you experienced.

if its not starting..are you getting spark... , is it getting fuel up to the rail..., is the enigne turning over...