View Full Version : 1mz difficult starting when hot

tripod23
27-04-2010, 13:43
hi guys iv noticed my 1mz is difficult to start when hot - when i say its difficult its as if there is not enough fuel getting to the engine. if its left standing after getting up to temp for say 20 or 30 mins sometimes less when you come to fire it up it seem to struggle. then comes to life

now all this used to happen when the 3sge engine was in there which is leading me to think the fuel pump is not doing its job the pump has done 163 k miles and has never been changed

now when its cold say its been left overnight it fires into life very quickly.

can anybody just give me their input on this as i really want to get this sorted i still have the v6 camry pump which i could make fit . do you guys think im on the right path here .

cheers

snowtigger
27-04-2010, 17:33
Hmmm seems Paul changes the pumps to a walbro as a matter of course and you can plumb in a fuel pressure regulator, it's a distinct pissability that the fuel is atomising into vapour when it's too hot and there's not enough fuel to fire it up till it's been cranked over a few turns.

Have you smelt an excessive amount of fuel from the intake or nothing, check you haven't got an air leak as well on the manifold and it's fittings, just my two penth worth of thoughts.

Good luck taking the fuel tank out if you decide to take out the pump.

tripod23
27-04-2010, 18:38
cheers tigger - the 1mz is in my celica so taking the pump out isnt my concern really as its under the rear seat easy really, i have a regulator fitted at the moment im thinking its got a lazy pump plus i havent smelt any fuel at all ,and these are things im always looking for with it being a fresh conversion .

i think this vapour theory is something to think about if the pumps not upto the job as iv read something about this . i spoke to paul today he seems to think its fuel tank related pump etc .

im going to pop the v6 camry pump in there and see how it is then - like i say its always done it when the 3s engine was in and it does the same with the 1mz - so its got to be fuel related .fingers crossed