View Full Version : 2AR-FE in an MKI

Gouky
19-04-2010, 04:18
as mentioned in my other thread. i took out the MKI race car this weekend for it's inaugural race with the new drivetrain, the motor held up fantastically for 860miles covered during the race. even with the stock MKI radiator water temps stayed at 180* without ever moving and oil temps stayed between 225 and 235.

the stock heat exchanger is definitely adequate for any use, even racing.

we tried different octanes through the weekend, we did find more power in premium than regular fuel but there was no advantage to unleaded race fuel (100 octane).

the torque band is very wide. it has the same feel as the 2GR. it pulls hard from idle to redline.

my original plan was to dyno it this week, but after the race, the left rear tire is not even adequate for dyno use anymore. I'll have to wait for my budget to allow new tires for the race car.

Paul Woods
19-04-2010, 07:06
How well did you do marc? in the race i mean?

Gouky
19-04-2010, 12:21
it was a very competitive car, but they thought our motor was a bit too new so they penalized us quite a few laps.

it's ok, we weren't intending to win anyways. but we had a blast. the car was very competitive we were able to pull away from most V8 cars in the straits we just need a bit more work on the suspension to be able to handle the corners better.

Diesel Meister
19-04-2010, 12:25
Pulling away on the straights? Jeez. I realise your car is somewhat lightened (!!!) from factory spec but I'm gonna need a G-suit lol

Sounds like an awesome project Marc - the 2AR-FE and the 2ZZ seem to be the N/A weapons of choice unless you want that V6 noise :thumbsup:

Gouky
19-04-2010, 12:41
I'll have some in-car videos later. the noise on this 4 cylinder is quite amazing also.

we definitely need to work on the alignment. the front was pretty good, but the rear had 1.75* of negative camber and was getting more wear on the outside of the tire than the inside.

Gouky
20-04-2010, 15:48
needs more pictures :thumbsup:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/163.jpg

Paul Woods
20-04-2010, 18:00
It's wacky races! I see dick dasterdly is slightly ahead closely followed by penelope pitstop :)

snowtigger
20-04-2010, 18:12
And the redkneck buzzcut mobile is taking third followed by professor crackpot and the anthill mob, giving chase is the army surplus special.

Gouky
20-04-2010, 18:16
hehe, you guys thought i had the budget for real racing?

This is as close as i get. low budget endurance racing. we started with a field of 57 cars and ended with 28 taking the checkered flag. the other 29 suffered massive engine and/or transmission failures. there was only one contact incident and both cars were able to drive away, pretty clean racing.

but other than being in cheap beaters, it's all out racing.

as soon as my team-mate sends me the video, i'll post it on you-tube. you guys will get a kick out of it.

knightrous
21-04-2010, 00:01
Is this Chumpcars or LeMons 24hr?

snowtigger
21-04-2010, 16:46
At least it's not left turn oval red neck racing as bubba Ray calls it off Jeff dunham.

Gouky
21-04-2010, 17:35
Is this Chumpcars or LeMons 24hr?

24hours of lemons

knightrous
21-04-2010, 23:25
24hours of lemons

You weren't worried about getting the peoples curse with having a reasonably new motor and box in the car?

Gouky
21-04-2010, 23:58
You weren't worried about getting the peoples curse with having a reasonably new motor and box in the car?

i was a little concerned, but honestly we knew it was going to be very far from the fastest car out there and all the drivers were told to drive as cleanly as possible to not piss anyone off.

there are way too many teams hellbent on winning to be the team to truly piss everyone off.

there are lots of cars there that accelerate like they are around 9-10LBS/HP. we're certainly far from the worst offenders out there