PDA

View Full Version : mk1 1mz swap questions

smccullie
10-02-2010, 22:27
Never thought i would be doing a v6 conversion always planned on a turbo, but seeing as there is now a R reg camry sitting outside my house think i should get my head round a v6 swap.

So just a few questions for you all:
1. Do i need a 4v6 mount for a mk1 swap
2. I have tubby box am i right in thinking i will have to make a support shaft mount
3. Is there a jig to help with mounting
4. Are the torque mounts just the same as doing a 3sgte
5. Are there templates for the 1mz engine mounts
6. What small things should i remember to take off the camry i.e immobiliser ring
7. What fuel pump should i use? (will prob just keep the engine n/a)

Think thats about it for now, any other tips and things to watch out for would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Limeymk1
11-02-2010, 09:54
1. Yep, they're essential. You'll also need a Tubby engine mount for the o/s.
2. I made a bracket up for mine but I believe you can fettle the original support to fit the tubby drive shaft.
3. Paul has one which I borrowed, I'm not sure if he's fettled it a bit since though.
4. Torque mounts are put together with the same principle as the tubby ones.
5. Not that I know of.
6. IMO I'd get everything attached in any way to the engine, loom, the lot. Even if it's not used in the swap it may come in useful for something unrelated. lol
7. I used the turbo one, not sure if the stock Mk1 pump will hack it.

Some of the stuff in my swap will be relevant to yours.

smccullie
11-02-2010, 11:07
Thanks for the info,had a good read of your build last night was very usefull.
I am sure once I get into it I will have more questions

smccullie
18-02-2010, 19:35
Whats everyone's opinions on gearboxes for a n/a 1mz?

I have a turbo box and shafts sitting here for mine, but i have read that a mk2 n/a box could be a better option??

If the mk2 n/a box is all i would need then the turbo box could be more use to someone else (it needs a recon mind)

cassi
18-02-2010, 19:41
If you're keeping the MZ stock then I'm sure an N/A box will fit your needs nicely, just get the Celica supporfed shaft drive shafts for it (optional but a good idea IMO).

Added bonus of the N/A box is that it's lighter than the tubby one.:cool:

(Doh forgot to log Cass off, this is Limey BTW lol)

tripod23
18-02-2010, 19:43
the n/a box is lighter - and you can also fit a longer 5th and slip diff - all these things are a trade off in imo - but the n/a will handle a lot of power - just ask phil mrv6 as far as i know he had no issues with his n/a running on 1mz with a trd supercharger . the guys will give you their thoughts iv no doubt.

smccullie
18-02-2010, 19:50
Thanks for the input, i forgot about the longer 5th :thumbsup:
Am i right in saying a mk3 lsd can fit?

tripod23
18-02-2010, 20:19
yeah thats the one - i put the longer 5th in my celica st182 but i havent done the lsd but i could in the future - but also there is a thread about the early stages of a 6 speed box - but its not plug n play so its early days with that one.