PDA

View Full Version : 3vzfe import wiring

328FTW
22-01-2010, 13:27
Hey guys I've been lurking but can't seem to find any specifics on a little issue I've hit in my 3vzfe swap The pinout on my ecu is well completely not what I would of expected it to be. See this is what I would have expected

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/225.jpg

and I have something more along the lines of this

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/226.jpg

Now trolling the internet I found something with the same pinout here

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/227.jpg

^ That is a 1mzfe pinout and is the same as my 3vzfe plug pattern and in fact some of the pins references (like STA signal) line up the same but of course not ALL of them. I got some of the ecu wired up found the STA signal was in fact not on the 4th plug but on one of the others basically like an MZ. I'm sure the ecu will work with some messing around but just looking for some input I might have overlooked, maybe someone has seen this before? Also hit the strange issue of that when the main black and orange battery feeds are hooked up the 5V reference line jumps up to 12V this is not a body side issue I took a fresh direct line to the ecu and powered them up and got 12V on the 5V line all of a sudden. Maybe there is a missing reference line somewhere as when I plug it into my es300 to test the car starts and runs flawlessly. In fact I can unplug the 4th and 3rd plug on the ecu of the es300 and it will still run with the efi relay jumpered which is kinda funny.

I'm not at the OMG WHY WON'T THIS THING WORK!!!111one!!! stage just throwing ideas about since I don't have a specific wiring diagram if I had the EXACT pinouts rather than interpretations and a big wiring spread I could just mull it over in my head and rework things. Oh car is a New Zealand Jap import with traction control etc etc

Any thoughts I'm open if someone has the diagrams or something I've missed chip in I'd rather look stupid than have a car that doesn't run.......well it will run I have a stand alone sitting in the same room as the car but don't want to put it on for fear of a supercharger going in with itlol Trying to avoid getting that carried away.

tripod23
22-01-2010, 13:54
have you not downloaded the 3vz - How to wire it up it may be of some use to even if its not all the same it may help you - look on the left hand side of the home page its their in pdf format.

328FTW
22-01-2010, 22:25
^ Yep I downloaded that was some help but I basically know what pinouts I need anyway just finding them is an issue without diagrams. I'm sure what I'm missing is in the 1st and 2nd plugs even without the 4th and 3rd plug my es300 works fine bar the relays not engaging which I can jumper seems there would be a sinal or power source I'm missing and since there is no spark or fuel I wonder if it is a bad distributor signal or something.

AlunJ
23-01-2010, 04:10
If it's any help Toyota ECU's frequently have the pins labelled internally, printed on the pcb where the connector is soldered to the ECU board ;)

328FTW
23-01-2010, 04:57
^Yep I cracked it open before and had a look but couldn't find much useful info. Doesn't matter my trusty beaten old multimeter and initiative got it sorted the problem was the AFM didn't have earth it wasn't earthed to where the other sensors were it went off on a tangent and I found it and earthed that then I found another earth on the body side that went off on a tangent. Once that was hooked up when I connected the battery 12V lines on the Black/Orange wires the 5V system stayed 5V rather than jumping to 12V like before at which point I went hmmmmmmmm and cranked it and on half it turn it caught and fired away pig rich from no O2 hooked up and many vacuum leaks as well as a missing vacuum line on the FPR so REALLY rich but I smiled it started.

I'll say thank you to everyone that has posted wiring info on this site and others I used MZ writeups, Paul Woods idiot guide and a bunch of others. I might post up some of the differences in the wiring and what I did later I've seen a few cars with wiring like mine but there is no info on how to wire it and there are a couple key differences twas a mammoth task to figure it out my brain was starting to sizzle.

Paul Woods
23-01-2010, 14:17
Glad you got it sorted, we have seen those import/JDM plugs before on Windoms and the like, we usually bin the harness and go for a UK harness/ECU instead due to the complexities of getting JDM stuff to work properly.... the ECUs report more codes (CEL on) and generally more finicky to wire up than a UK ECU.

328FTW
24-01-2010, 13:18
Glad you got it sorted, we have seen those import/JDM plugs before on Windoms and the like, we usually bin the harness and go for a UK harness/ECU instead due to the complexities of getting JDM stuff to work properly.... the ECUs report more codes (CEL on) and generally more finicky to wire up than a UK ECU.

And don't I know it:p the car is running now though still rich only one O2 hooked up I'm getting there though I took the first drive today and with the porting, headers and exhaust I'm running this thing hauls some serious ass I thought the clutch was slipping then saw the speedo was clocking really fast so I said some impressed expletives haha

As I said before the big things I found was the AFM earth went off to the middle of nowhere so just chopped and earthed properly then the STA signal was on the first plug so found that then I found an earth that stopped the car starting randomly laying in the middle of the loom who knows how/where that came from. To top it off some of the big black/orange wires that were meant to have power on them didn't so I drew power off the white/red ones for the efi instead. Not the first time I've done some quirky wiring my mk1.5 with the gen 2 JDM 3sge from a celica was interesting as well.

The thing idles like a dream which was kinda unexpected was thinking I would have to track down a few leaks first but I plugged the obvious ones and it sat at about 800rpm for about half an hour untouched. Once I have the O2 sorted I'll pull the codes and see if it is as finicky as you say here in New Zealand all we really got is imports in fact the one I picked up as the donor I was kinda hoping had USDM wiring because it was an American import of all things but it appears I got a Jappa that simply passed through America then shipped here later on who knows I buy the weirdest crap consistently it seems.

Here is the vid of the first drive. I'm a typical young guy it's been running for about an hour total after redoing everything and it's sitting on limiter:p At least I'm not sniffing glue and causing trouble I'm too intelligent for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrEnLSbqm8

Yes I know the exhaust leaks on the front header getting there getting there I did everything myself and am proud to say it built headers, did the porting and made the end mount. The wiring I wired by basically the seat of my pants and knowing the general toyota colour scheme. When i get around to it I'm going to pull this engine back out to do some things and I'll take some measurements of my mount it is not pretty like the 4v6 one but it works flawless and I'm happy to post up dimensions somewhere on the 2 sites the only reason I didn't was I pulled a 24 hour stint when I put this engine in and forgot to measure it but as much as I love the MR2 community I wasn't pulling it back out my knuckles were bloody enough I would have used a 4v6 myself but I'm a uni student that lives at the bottom of the earth so was a bit out of reach. Follows the plastic and even keeps the stones out.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/229.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/230.jpg

Because I'm quite smug about it and have already gotten off topic the final product thanks to all you guys:thumbsup: (yes I lurk a lot)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/231.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/232.jpg

I got a bit off the topic of wiring there didn't I lol I think I'm just sp happy it runs at last been 2 years in the making this car brought as a wreck and now is almost showcar quality I just dearly hope no one backs into it or runs a red I would be shattered.