PDA

View Full Version : D-pegs V6 Scion supercharger kit

Pages : [1] 2

Paul Woods
21-01-2010, 18:32
Hi folks, it's no secret that i have been working on an alternative supercharging kit for the V6 for the last year or so.... well the planning and research started a year ago but most of the actual mechanical work has been in the last few days.

The plan here is to supply a total kit that will allow the Scion TC unit to bolt straight onto a 3vz-fe and 1mz-fe as a DIY fitment with every single bracket, pipe, fitting, hose and component supplied except for the supercharger unit itself.

The Scion TC unit is readily available on US ebay for anything from $250 to $1000 ,i picked mine up for around $300 if i remember right, and it has very few if any miles on it, so there will be no problem at all with supply of these units unlike the TRD camry one which is costly and has big limitations in terms of cooling and tuning scope.

I will be supplying everything else needed to make this SC work, including a new intercooler, blow off valve and boost control. The kit will also include a modified upper sump casing with the oil return plumbed in (1mz) or modified steel sump for the 3vz versions. It will all be completely plug and play and will fit Mk1,Mk2 and Mk3 v6's.

What you will not get is injector or fuel control upgrades to exploit the most from this unit. In its current form it is capable of supplying much more boost than a stock v6 can take both mechanically and fuel delivery wise, so my kit will have its boost control set to a minimum "low blow" set up that will fuel fine on a stock set of v6 injectors and ECU. If you want to take it further you will need a head gasket upgrade, forged pistons, rods, injectors and a standalone ECU. Expected power from such a build is unknown but the low blow basic install should return at least what the TRD camry unit does ( i honestly expect it to deliver more due to it being intercooled and a more efficient set up)

The good news is this unit should supply up to 14psi if you really wanted, but obviously you will need to build the motor/fuelling to cope with that. This kit will make the supercharging aspect very easy indeed, i am basically taking all of the hard work out of it.

All kits will come with step by step fitting instructions and will be supplied on an exchange basis for your old 1mz-fe upper sump casing (easy to remove) or 3vz-fe steel sump.

Pricing for the kit is unknown at present as i have only just started its manufacture.

Here are some pics of where we are at the moment, the first kit i develop will be for the 1mz-fe with a 3vz-fe kit to follow after that. The supercharger is fully mounted with all bracketry completed.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/221.jpg

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/312.jpg

I will update this thread as the kit develops further, any questions just ask, cheers paul.

biteme
21-01-2010, 18:41
Excellent work Mr Woods. This is the huge boost that the V6 early adopters have been waiting for. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Paul Woods
21-01-2010, 18:54
I think it will go and sound pretty well! There should be lots of strange noises coming from the bay from SC whine to boost control flutter to BOV dumping on higher boost applications.

The best aspect is the cooling for me though, and my boost control method will mean no messing around with pulley sizes.

aussiemr2
21-01-2010, 18:58
Paul you are the man :-)
Hope you have the 3VZ kits sorted by the time I finish building my engine up
I can hopefully be the first Aussie to try it out
Just a quick question though, do you think this will work with aircon on the 3VZ?

Paul Woods
21-01-2010, 19:04
Yes i should have the 3vz kits done within a month or so of the 1mz kit, it's just hard to find time to devote to these projects.

Yep it will definately work with AC equipped v6's, i just need to supply a different belt with those.

Gouky
21-01-2010, 19:17
Paul, I don't mean to second guess you, but is there really room in the MKII chassis with the charger mounted there? is the 1mz/3vz that much smaller than the 2GR?

If I could mount the rotrex there my life would be so much simpler.

tripod23
21-01-2010, 19:23
paul would this kit fit in my celica gen 5 1mz

Paul Woods
21-01-2010, 19:26
Paul, I don't mean to second guess you, but is there really room in the MKII chassis with the charger mounted there? is the 1mz/3vz that much smaller than the 2GR?

That is not 100% known at the moment, i am expecting it to be tight, but we won't know until we try.... worst case scenario the front firewall may need "adjusting" ahem!

paul would this kit fit in my celica gen 5

Yes it should, with maybe a rad fan relocation and battery relocation yes i think it will.

Paul Woods
21-01-2010, 19:34
Looking at some of my earlier Mk2 v6 engine bay pics i think a front heatshield modification is going to be needed at the minimum, it's going to be tight!

brianbooth
21-01-2010, 19:40
That is not 100% known at the moment, i am expecting it to be tight, but we won't know until we try.... worst case scenario the front firewall may need "adjusting" ahem!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/222.jpg

DIY folks, be sure you have the proper tools for that step lol

Well done, Paul. This is every 3.0 owner's dream.

dgh938peg
21-01-2010, 19:50
You git Paul! Beat me to it!

Still designing my brackets for the 3vz lol!

Well done mate and echo Gouky's thoughts. It will be bloody close like that PW! I can get the measurement from the corner of the front bank cam cover to the firewall on the 3vz and 1mz if you like?

This is as close as mine got to fitting LOL!!!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/223.jpg

loadswine
21-01-2010, 22:21
Wow! Brilliant Paul :thumbsup: I'm guessing by the colour of that pictured 1MZ, that a Roadster will be the first recipient of this. If it fits in a Mk3, then it'll go in all the Mks probably.
I am glued to this one and have have to say it looks a winner to me. Nice!

brianbooth
21-01-2010, 23:01
Wow! Brilliant Paul :thumbsup: I'm guessing by the colour of that pictured 1MZ, that a Roadster will be the first recipient of this. If it fits in a Mk3, then it'll go in all the Mks probably.
I am glued to this one and have have to say it looks a winner to me. Nice!

supercharged 1mz in mk3 = :clap:

SlipSlide
21-01-2010, 23:03
And here was me about to sell up two 3VZFE's , g /boxs & ancillaries for a Mrk I & II conversion so I could start a 2GR-FE war chest, and now you do this.

Damn you Woods, Damn you to hell.

biteme
21-01-2010, 23:04
Damn you Woods, Damn you to hell.
We refer to it as Durham matey.

snowtigger
21-01-2010, 23:07
Or turdsdale.

SlipSlide
21-01-2010, 23:17
We refer to it as Durham matey.

Is it that cold in hell, and it didn't look like hell in the snow sled video, but thats the trouble with hell, you don't know you there till its all gone to far and then its pay up day.

One soul for sale, going cheap as it has no mileage left in it, pm me!!

Good on you Paul, looking forward to seeing the finished product and the cost.

In the voice of Wimpy from popeye, I would gladly pay you a 3VZ for a Supercharger today.

Paul Woods
22-01-2010, 06:59
Thanks for the support folks but i'm now looking at my set up and pictures of v6's in engine bays and there is a doubt now as to wether it will fit like this. Of course a little firewall modification and of course it will fit, i was just hoping to make it a little more user friendly than that, i guess i will find out when the time comes to stick one in. Also looking at pics i think this will fit the Mk1 v6's easiest of all and i do think a Mk3 is going to need some doctoring in the firewall area. Looking at it closer the Mk2 may have an issue with the heater lines being in the way, that might be a biggy (but not impossible).

Nige this engine is indeed going into a roadster (colour was a giveaway eh!) but not with the SC, i just took the opportunity of having a 1mz at hand to mount the SC before i hang the engine.

There is no other location for this shaft driven SC unless you bin the inlet plenum, mount it in the Vee or further back and then of course we need a custom plenum which is big bucks. I think firewall modification (if needed) is a small price to pay to get this to work.

Progress on this might be slow as i need to do this as a sideline project so bear with me, i will update the thread with the kits development as i go.

Dan i think your 3vz top rad pipe design is going to get in the way of yours mate, that will need a rework, i've got a mk2 v6 here i can take measurements from but cheers anyway bud.

Sorry about messing with your head slipslide! :)

Garbe
22-01-2010, 07:45
Whooohooo finally an alternative SC - well done paul

Goes and logs onto Ebay motors

GregLeBon
22-01-2010, 07:52
Paul, great work (as usual!).....!

I saw this and started dreaming of all those horses....

...but then reality kicked in, and unless I'm willing / able / can afford to strip the engine down,and do all the mods to the internals, its not really worth it for me....I'd certainly want a bit more than "low boost" on a setup like this...!

Anyway, enough of this tinkering, Mr.Woods...!!! :naughty:

Keep focused: A U D I V 8 M k 1...!!!!! :D

dgh938peg
22-01-2010, 08:34
Dan i think your 3vz top rad pipe design is going to get in the way of yours mate, that will need a rework, i've got a mk2 v6 here i can take measurements from but cheers anyway bud.
:)

You're right paul - it is completely in the way! I have all the measurements i need to design the brackets to fit the 3vz (aside the block which i am detailing tonight). Then it'll be laser cut brackets and trial fitting in a few weeks time on topgun's engine (yes the old TuRD boy is going all v6 on us!!)

Mine is off to the bodyshop next week so can't afford to start ripping coolant pipes out. But when it's back it'll be straight on with the charger. The waterpipe i was thinking of taking through the vee and making a custom alloy pipe that pick up on the two bolts where the electrical conduit fits to presently. I have got into a bit of CF moulding and was considering making a custom Carbon Fibre centre cover to go over the pipe. :thumbsup:

dgh938peg
22-01-2010, 08:59
As another note Paul,

We had a lookie at intercoolers and have got two of these off eBay USA - though there are similar ones in UK. I'ts a 12" x 12" x 3" thick core with 3" in and out.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/224.jpg

This is the closest i can find although the ones i have are 3" in and out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRacing-Intercooler-18-x-12-x-3-ECLIPSE-PRELUDE-Saab_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51858cb3c1QQitemZ3 50132941761QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

Hope this helps bud!

MRV6
22-01-2010, 19:31
Good work Paula, I don't know how you managed to keep it a secret for so long. (cough cough)

It's nice to see an alternative to the trd unit.

MRV6
22-01-2010, 19:33
As another note Paul,

We had a lookie at intercoolers and have got two of these off eBay USA - though there are similar ones in UK. I'ts a 12" x 12" x 3" thick core with 3" in and out.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/224.jpg

This is the closest i can find although the ones i have are 3" in and out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRacing-Intercooler-18-x-12-x-3-ECLIPSE-PRELUDE-Saab_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51858cb3c1QQitemZ3 50132941761QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

Hope this helps bud!

Oh er Missus that's a sexy engine bay.

Koji
22-01-2010, 23:39
This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm absolutely in for a kit once you get it sorted.

vish
23-01-2010, 02:14
cant wait to see results of this :) it may be a wee while till i can afford it but i'm defo in! cant tell you how pleased i am to hear that paul is making this kit- cant get much more piece of mind than that!

Paul Woods
23-01-2010, 09:30
Thanks for that dan, i think i am going to supply a chargecooler option with the kit instead, the twinpass design of them is more user friendly to the kit plus it offers the best cooling option. Something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIQUID-INTERCOOLER-AIR-WATER-CHARGECOOLER-FREE-UK-P-P_W0QQitemZ180457898698QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsP arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a042102ca

biteme
23-01-2010, 09:38
One of those would be pretty good, when you consider the price of Cinquecento radiators
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-CINQUECENTO-SPORTING-SEICENTO-CAR-RADIATOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ280431148768QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414affbee0

Chargecooler pump
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVT-Bosch-Chargecooler-pump-Ford-Focus-RS-Replacement_W0QQitemZ270515677185QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efbf da801

You're talking about £220 for materials, for a complete CC setup. Just the labour then.

Would the Cinqy rad fit in the Mk1/Mk3 front?

Could the CC core be fitted in the bay down by the passenger vent or is that too tight?

Portgordon
23-01-2010, 09:39
Oooh I'm very excited about this one! This is the way I've always wanted to go with my 3VZ, so now that I know there's some potential in this kind of SC package, it'll be easier for me to blinker the 2GR!

Marvelous work as always Mr Woods. Hopefully it won't need to much butchery to get it into a mk2.

Paul Woods
23-01-2010, 10:06
Yeah i think it would fit down by the passenger vent although to be honest the aircooling effect from the vent won't really do much to the chargecooler... can't hurt though. Yep the cinqy rad will fit both Mk1 and Mk3, we've fitted them to Mk1's in the past.

More measuring yesterday confirmed that a Mk2 is definately going to need the heater pipes altering and also a little "relief" given to a specific area of the firewall, there is just not enough room for a straight install and the SC location is the only place it will go on the engine. Still i think a few other mods are a small price to pay for getting this to work.

I really do want this kit to be as complete as possible, while that may drive the cost up in terms of parts it should be easier to DIY. I also fancy supplying a dual boost/afr gauge with the kit to keep everything monitored...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/228.jpg

dgh938peg
28-01-2010, 21:33
I have just about finished my 3D work and am about to start drawing the brackets up for laser cutting. Because of the size and shape of the 3vz over the 1mz it fits snugly in there. Im about 6mm clear of the starter motor with the outlet pointing down toward the firewall.

What i am saying is you will not need to alter the firewall for the 3vz install. I do agree the heater pipes are in the way and will need altering. Don't really want to tell mr2big that as he's just spent out on brand new ones!!!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/01/247.jpg

So as far as i can tell so far as i can tell the mods only need to be to the heatshield and the heater pipes...

Paul Woods
29-01-2010, 06:50
Dan, not wishing to rain on your parade at all but i'm pretty sure you can't mount the main body of the charger in that orientation mate. Reason being the oil drain is not at the bottom of the unit, unless there happens to be another blanking plug down there? or if you planned to drill/tap another?

It will be great if the Sc can be mounted that close on the 3vz to get more clearance though, i've yet to play with my SC on a 3vz.

dgh938peg
29-01-2010, 08:25
Dan, not wishing to rain on your parade at all but i'm pretty sure you can't mount the main body of the charger in that orientation mate. Reason being the oil drain is not at the bottom of the unit, unless there happens to be another blanking plug down there? or if you planned to drill/tap another?

It will be great if the Sc can be mounted that close on the 3vz to get more clearance though, i've yet to play with my SC on a 3vz.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/04/249.jpg

Yes there are (3) ports Paul. I would imagine if you took the TRD nameplate off there'd be one under there too. It's a good thing too, as it keeps our mounting options flexible......

Right.... Obviously i am gonna have to knock a set of these up Paul, do you want me to do you a set while i am there? The laser is gonna cost me nothing (i can also send you the CAD files for when you get the kit done ? :respekt:

Paul Woods
29-01-2010, 09:13
Right.... Obviously i am gonna have to knock a set of these up Paul, do you want me to do you a set while i am there? The laser is gonna cost me nothing (i can also send you the CAD files for when you get the kit done ?

That would be fantastic dan, that is saving me having to repeat all of the work on the 1mz fitment that i'm on with now.

It looks like this kit is going to be better suited to the 3vz in terms of space etc, my mounts for the 1mz kit are not CAD'd up, i've just got jigs to make from the original mounts i made, so if you want some 1mz versions of the mounts let me know mate.

dgh938peg
31-01-2010, 20:49
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320481437644&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AGB%3A1123

BARGAIN!!!!!

dgh938peg
02-02-2010, 09:05
Finished the SC Compressor Mounting bracket design last night.

I need to tap another hole in the casing but there's an additional lug there to do this.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/02/9.jpg

Typical me thinking of most things ;) i have had to remove the lifting hook for the engine so added a pair of holes to the bracket for this purpose.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/02/10.jpg

Going to finish the front end pulley bracket at work today...

Koji
25-02-2010, 01:05
This still alive? It's been a while.

o1gagt
25-02-2010, 03:25
If anyone was curious here is a MAP of the V-5 F Trim compressor map:

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2010/02/193.jpg

Paul Woods
25-02-2010, 07:02
Yes of course it's still alive, but this is a side project for both dan and myself, it will happen eventually but these things take time.

aigochamaloh
25-02-2010, 07:21
You guys are evil. Subscribed and will be looking for a TRD unit in prep for this perhaps. Gotta get my swap done first I suppose.

dgh938peg
25-02-2010, 08:41
Yes of course it's still alive, but this is a side project for both dan and myself, it will happen eventually but these things take time.

I should be cutting the first brackets for the 3vz next week. Like you say Paul it's a side project at the mo. I really have to get mr2big's 1mz Auto swap finished first. Just about got his engine mounts done now :)

dgh938peg
01-03-2010, 16:20
Hi Paul,

It wasn't till i was down Michael's (mr2big) that i spotted the issue with the 1mz and fitting this charger. The heads are a good 40mm longer as the timing gears are on the end! i had never noticed it before.

If this is the problem that is causing the firewall to be cut to install this how about i price up some machined parts to make the drive shaft and cover longer?

The d/s is a straight bit of bar with a key on each end
The cover a tube with two machined bits on each end (could have the plug welds drilled out and re-used.

Will take me about an hour to do some engineering drawings.....

this should make the difference between cutting the firewall and perhaps a little light metal work on the heatshield and heater pipes....

waddaya think?

EDIT;

Received just this very minute! Iteration-1 of the 3VZ supercharger brackets.... One end i expect to fit fine. the other is a trial to see how it goes. I will probably have a look at these this weekend.....

Paul Woods
01-03-2010, 18:07
Hi dan, i had a good look at it and even with an exteneded shaft drive we would only gain about 3/4" of space around the charger, so it would still mean a bulkhead mod of some sort.... so if we need to mod that area at all it seems pointless making the shaft extension, although i'd be 100% all for it if i thought it would mean no mods at all.

I need to take another look at that and see if the effort is going to be worth the gain mate.

dgh938peg
01-03-2010, 18:51
I'll be slinging mr2big's in this week (Wednesday) so should be able to hold the compressor up along side and see where it sits.

But of course the other biggie with the 1mz is timing belt sprocket being on the exhaust cam (inlet cam on 3vz)

dgh938peg
11-03-2010, 14:03
Had a bit of a brainwave (or maybe a brain fart - who knows) :)

mr2big is adding a filter relocation kit along with a cooler. The kit he got was MR2 fitment and goes on both the 3vz and 1mz no problem.

My thinking is adding in a line.

Run from the relocator boss to the filter, then add a line in to run to and from the SC then on to the cooler (then obviously back to the relocator....

would save on having to work the sump?

Waddya think PW?

EDIT;

The other thing, particularly with the 1mz, how about putting the SC through the middle of the Vee? like Gouky is doing with the 2GR...... May save firewall mods...

Paul Woods
11-03-2010, 18:19
Are you talking about T'ing off the oil relocation line to feed the SC? That will work if it's T'd off, but not inline.... basically because you will starve the rest of the engine of oil because the SC feed needs throttling back. There is still no return path from SC to sump as both sides of the relocation kit are high pressure.... you need an ambient zero pressure return to sump.

The Vee mounting idea will only work if the shaft was extended considerably and of course a new plenum made i think, i think the SC would foul the throttle body.

All good though thinking of new stuff.

RandomHero
13-03-2010, 17:00
so, should we start scooping up trd chargers now?

RandomHero
13-03-2010, 17:04
ps: when browsing ebay what exactly do i search for if i want to browse the scion supercharger? i searched scion supercharger and got BS results.

my cousins wants to do this on his scion, and i had no idea they were so cheap. which is why i wanted to browse them.

levi
14-03-2010, 03:50
ps: when browsing ebay what exactly do i search for if i want to browse the scion supercharger? i searched scion supercharger and got BS results.

my cousins wants to do this on his scion, and i had no idea they were so cheap. which is why i wanted to browse them.

Search for "TRD Scion Supercharger"

RandomHero
31-03-2010, 09:24
any updates/news on this? im really excited about it.

and idea on what its going to cost?

dgh938peg
31-03-2010, 09:38
I have 3vz mounting brackets cut but am a good few weeks away from trying them - have a lot on at the moment. I don't think Paul is any further ahead with the 1mz either.

For both of us these are longer term projects.

oteck
31-03-2010, 23:41
I looked into this before and looking at it now it wont clear my wide ass vvti head :(

aigochamaloh
01-04-2010, 00:07
If test fitting is needed for the 1MZ, i gladly volunteer my car.

Paul Woods
01-04-2010, 07:19
As Dan said, we both have other priorities at the moment, so this project has to take a sideline until we are ready to give it 100% attention.

Ironically i may end up fitting the first one to a customers car, at the moment that would be the only way it would happen sooner rather than later.... but it will definately happen one way or another.

dgh938peg
01-04-2010, 08:53
I had my first "engineering lookie" at slapping this baby on a 1mz last night at Michael's.

- Because of the additional length of the heads - i can see why you positioned it as you did Paul. I am waiting on Michael slapping up some pics but i think i have a better location - and may even use the same principle on mine too.

- Split the SC at the gearbox (3x 6mm a/key bolts) and separate it off from the flex coupling.
- Remove the v-bank cover.
- Lay the SC drive pulley on top of the waterpipe, you'll note with a bit of jiggling it lines up spot on with the alt/ac belt...
- Now wiggle the SC & gearbox into alignment at the other end.
- You will find the assembly to be approximately 25mm short.

My plan is to remake the centre drive shaft and drive shaft cover - lengthening by said amount and fitting it that way. My thoughts are for the sake of £40 machining on a new drive shaft and probably £25 for the bit of outer SS tube (re-use the end bits as they're on plug welded on) - i think it's a far better option than cutting the firewall Paul....

I know Marc's on the 2gr is all custom but it's where his is going....

I'll slap a pic on once i have it from mr2big...

dgh938peg
01-04-2010, 09:08
C'est la!

Sorry Dan, I almost forgot................LoL..... as if :) :)

Dan bought the Supercharger over last night; this is where it is going to sit.

The business end of the Supercharger rotates and there will be just enough room under the engine cover to fit it.

As soon as we put it on top of the engine I think Dan and I both smiled, we could see the final phase coming to life :D :D :D

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/6.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/7.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/8.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/9.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/10.jpg

MRV6
01-04-2010, 09:12
That engine bay's pure sex.

dgh938peg
01-04-2010, 09:17
I wish i could take the credit, i only assembled it. All the love was put in by Michael.

the more i look at those pics the more i think i have to swap my position, as on the 3vz will mean little or no alteration to the engine or bay.

Paul Woods
01-04-2010, 18:33
Will you be able to clock the compressor housing to get it all under the stock lid dan? Or will it mean a custom lid?

I like that position, just the compressor height and orientation/plumbing i worry about...

dgh938peg
01-04-2010, 20:10
The housing is fully clockable to any position whatsoever PW. It is bloody close, i think the N/A lid is probably a no-go but the tubby lid (without fans) should be a good fit..

dgh938peg
01-04-2010, 21:03
Just thinking again.....

I am pretty sure it misses the lid anyway but surely putting a bulge in the engine lid would be a small price to pay for not having to alter the firewall....?

On the 3vz - i will try the brackets first on Mick's engine for fit then on mine for the bay..... BUT..... The current position i have i know fouls the heatshield ...... and that metal vertical pipey thing off the fuel tank ...... and the heater pipes...... and is bloody close to the starter. That lot of alterations alone should be enough to put off the idea of altering the firewall PW.

So... Tomorrow i will attempt to knock up some plywood brackets to fit the compressor housing on the gearbox end of the 3vz. Then try to close the N/A engine lid....

One thing i KNOW wont fit is the stock X-Brace...

Ah Fuck it, im gonna get the other SC out the garage and have it apart ready :rofl:

jasongtr
02-04-2010, 13:56
i have just bought Oohmatrons car (well deposit paid and delivery will be arranged for sometime next week) ill gladly offer my car up to work on if you like (3vz engine) as i planned to sc it anyway

dgh938peg
02-04-2010, 18:33
Been out and whipped off the X-Brace and it would appear that the 3vz will have to run across the front as i had originally planned. Because the cam pulley is on the inlet cam it leaves no room for the SC pulley head unfortunately. It would have made the install much easier but hey!

So original plan sticks.

- Build up Micks engine
- slap on my SC brackets and check for fit and alignment
- try SC compressor on my engine in car. check for interference issues
- get Micks car finished and out the way
- drop my engine out of the car
- Fit the SC and throw that baby back in!

loadswine
02-04-2010, 19:16
Do the engines have to be out to fit the SC?

dgh938peg
02-04-2010, 22:43
Unsure..... it would certainly be easier... obviously.

Mechanically attaching the SC will not be the issue but hooking up the oil feed and return lines may be tricky. To be honest it probably can be fitted in the car but the amount of arsing around required it would save a bucket-load of time to whip it out.

OlberJ
03-04-2010, 13:10
It's only an hour's work tops to remove the V6 anyways, they're a doddle!

Been looking at ebay.com for one of these chargers, think it's gonna have to be done sooner or later.

dgh938peg
03-04-2010, 19:13
Agreed Olber!, single handed managed a removal - first time in 2 1/2 hours tops.

vinnny
04-04-2010, 01:14
oh god i want one.

loadswine
04-04-2010, 16:59
That's good going,, but I have only my driveway, so rather hoping for an engine - in install.

dgh938peg
04-04-2010, 18:08
Like I say; I would imagine it possible just harder going is all :)

dgh938peg
07-04-2010, 15:38
PW;

The point we're gonna use to pick up oil on the 3vz engine... on the end of the filtery brackety stand-offy thing..... Any idea what thread that is?

I am getting in place now the oil lines.
I am ordering a 1/8" NPT to 4-AN adapter, a 4-AN straight connector, some 4-AN braided oil line, 4-AN 180 degree bendy bit and 4-AN weld on adapter....

Off the top of your head, which one would you say is the feed from the oil filter brackety bit, top or bottom? (not sure which way the oil flows through it..... as the line to the SC needs to be pressurised....)

Oh, i have the TRD Scion Tc Supercharger fitting instructions if you want me to email them over to you :)

For the return i had intended on getting a bit chopped out of a 3sgte sump but the size is overkill compared to the Scion. Only need be 1/2" i/d max.... the GTE is 3/4" return IIRC

Paul Woods
07-04-2010, 22:30
I have no idea on the thread size dan, in the past i have taken the bung out, drilled a hole in it and welded my own fitting onto that to make an oil feed adapter.

The one that leads to the centre of the filter is the feed, but as far as i'm aware both are pressurized.

dgh938peg
07-04-2010, 22:35
Cheers fella! Then i shall mod the centre one.... I found a supplier of weld on AN fittings - so proper pukka oil lines.... :D

aigochamaloh
16-04-2010, 03:16
On the oil supply to the charger, would a filter sandwich adapter work, with the drain going back to the sump? Actually, in this case, is there a problem plumbing the return from the charger into the OEM oil cooler and then back to the sump as usual?

I am looking for units here, and some on craigslist range from 300-700. At the least, all we need to supply is the actual unit correct? Brackets and etc will eventually be made?

Thanks for the work you guys put in this, even though it is a side project!

dgh938peg
16-04-2010, 08:59
A 3sgte filter relocation kit fits the 1mz so would imagine it fits the 3vz too. Should cost something in the order of £150 for a complete kit... £300 for a charger is pretty good. The two i have for Michael and myself are brand new & unused! We paid £350 & £400 for them.. :)

aigochamaloh
16-04-2010, 16:10
Wow where did you get chargers for that price brand new? That's awesome!

dgh938peg
16-04-2010, 16:22
to be fair - specified as brand new and unused. There's a few "knocks" on them here & there but otherwise would appear new. Certainly no oil in either gearcase..

Would also like to point out who makes these for TRD....
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/view.php?pcat=19

Is basically a V5 with different trim. The ones on the vortech site have 8 blades while the TRD unit has 10.

dgh938peg
28-04-2010, 23:25
Landmark day today

THE SUPERCHARGER FITS :yahoo:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/240.jpg

Bolted up to the bracket (needs 3/8" UNC as the SC is American)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/241.jpg

Plenty of clearance between the SC, block and starter to get the water pipe through
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/242.jpg

Nicely tucked under the rear screen - right by the drivers ear!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/243.jpg

And exactly as i had drawn.... 6mm clearance between starter & SC
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/244.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/245.jpg

Pulley needs to go further in - as toward the gearbox more - that will mean moving the charger over about 4mm but no biggie
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/246.jpg

Super plus point - the stock X-Brace still fits :yahoo: i didn't think it would! :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/247.jpg

About 4mm clearance here
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/248.jpg

Water pipe routing
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/249.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/250.jpg

SlipSlide
28-04-2010, 23:32
Ohhhh, thats all I can say for the minute, and nice work Dan.

OlberJ
28-04-2010, 23:35
What's the clearance like from SC to firewall? Are you going to clock the outlet?

Looks right at home there so it does :)

Gouky
29-04-2010, 00:30
i can't believe it fits in there at that position, cool!

aigochamaloh
29-04-2010, 05:54
Damn, great going. That's on the 3VZ? I don't have room in my MKI bay for that SC in that position, what a damn shame.

Paul Woods
29-04-2010, 07:53
I don't feel like this was my idea or my project anymore because Dan has taken the concept and run with it whereas i can only crawl with my project ideas due to my workload.

It looks great sat there Dan, just as i first envisaged, i can see this being a popular upgrade once the finer details are ironed out, well done mate.

nik
29-04-2010, 09:05
wow, what a great solution..love the imagination and expertise with this one..
its hard to see from the angle of the pic but the casing wont foul on the brace under acceleration will it..? it a lovely snug fit..

dgh938peg
29-04-2010, 09:17
Cheers Paul! I remember my original post "will this work" when i'd rumbled what you'd been planning for a while :D

Only managed to get on with it because - out of my own stupidity - i have no working MR2 (big ends) so this project should move along quite nicely now. Knowing it fits in the bay now - i can pull the engine and move forward. I'm going to do the oil feed like you say - weld a 6AN nipple onto the a/key fitting in the oil cooler and run up from there then add a return into the sump. I have bought a rather large 12" square x 3" thick intercooler - measures 18" overall length. I had planned on using this but is just too big. I am now opting for an XS Power unit mounted sideways and slung in behind the fuel filler pipe with a bit of shrouding to it.

As i said PW - once i have the brackets both ends sorted out i'll gladly send you a built set along with the CAD files to make up from laser cut parts so you can put your kit together (as i know you're opting for a CC - with i may go at a later stage - just not yet - IC will see me up and running quicker)

WATERPIPES!! i have had to cut the ends off the 19mm (that 3/4" to you Marc :) ) heater matrix pipes that run above the fuel tank. I intend on switching these over to rubber through to the frunk end anyway as i think mine are weeping (minor coolant loss)

HEATSHIELD!! This clashes with the charger too so will simply cut to suit.

@ Olber - yes the snail is 100% clockable - just not in that in the MR2 bay. you have about 6mm clearance between starter and SC and about the same between SC and strut brace. I dont see an issue with the SC exit low then off to the IC/CC thru an elbow anyway tbh.

@ Gouky - cheers Marc! yeah i was pretty amazed myself :) i need to fettle it a bit, nudge it over toward the gearbox side more to get the belt in position but have the clearances exactly what i expected - just with the bonus of the strut brace fitting :)

@ nik - yes that is a concern but if it "rocks only it'll be fine - if the engine lifts then there will be a clash as you say! Personally i think it's a little close for comfort. I think im right in saying that under load the engine kicks back not forward? is so will move away from the brace.

EDIT; just redone my membership lol! didn't realise it had expired!

aussiemr2
29-04-2010, 13:12
Hi Dan excellent work , bit of a coincidence my charger arrived yesterday, not in very good shape but internals are good so going to refurb it a bit, going by your orientation i think we will need to drill another oil outlet hole below the original one, might pay to visit Scionlife and read some of the posts on there seem these chargers are very prone to failure of the bearings if mountings are not done correctly in the original application
Also did you grind off the flange on the compressor housing for the original TRD inlet? Looks lots better and we are better of connecting filter direct to inlet anyway
I got my charger without a pulley so I was going to just get an aftermarket one, are the number of ribs the same as the 3VZ pulleys?

I,ll be up for a kit or at least the brackets once everything is sorted out

dgh938peg
29-04-2010, 13:23
There is already a hole in the base of the charger. Remember this is a Vortech V5 unit effectively so is originally designed for multiple mounting orientations I think TRD made it from the back side of the gearcase to the pulley. This would explain the imperial UNC bolts in the gearcase and charger and the long shaft and pulley being metric stuff.

I have also seen quite a bit of bearing failure too on these. Fortuntely not a biggie to replace and is usually in the pulley nose mounty bit too. I will make sure this is simple to service. because it is a simple self aligned, double row ball bearing jobby (a) its cheap to replace and (b) there's probably a needle roller bearing alternative (alot more reliable). I wouldn't put this down as a TRD design fault or even an installation fault - just a lot of belt stress on one bearing.

Yep - cut the TRD inlet flange off - looked wucking fank! :icon_lol: going to mirror polish the snail up and make an alloy adapter to fit an apexi filter. The Scion uses a 7k wedge belt system where as the 3vz (and 1mz) is 6k so you end up with an empty v on the pulley but hey - again no biggie - gives adjustment. If you're going aftermarket - Non Stop Tuning are doing pulleys for these but sure there are others out there available too.

aussiemr2
29-04-2010, 13:59
There is already a hole in the base of the charger. Remember this is a Vortech V5 unit effectively so is originally designed for multiple mounting orientations

So do you think we will need to open the bottom hole up a bit as it is a lot smaller thread to accomodate putting the inlet oil sprayer in that position, also there is not a hole under the TRD plate as mine came with the plate missing, also inside input shaft gear runs very close to this side, I have completely stripped down the charger to replace the bearings and seals so getting pretty familiar with it

Getting very excited as im still building my motor and might need to change direction a bit and throw some stronger internals at it while its apart

dgh938peg
29-04-2010, 14:20
Stick some pics up Aussie if you can! I am very keen to see the internal but yet to break down. I had intended on drilling the base hole from 1/8" NPT up to 1/4" NPT/BSP. then do the return line in 8AN.

aussiemr2
29-04-2010, 14:24
Will get some pics up tomorrow morning UK time , quite easy to pull apart really, just heated the alloy in hot water a bit to make the bearings pull out easier, theres also a good tutorial on line I got somewhere, will try and find it for tomorrow as its bedtime here lol

aussiemr2
30-04-2010, 13:08
I took some photos Dan but the web site link below is far better, notice that the Vortech has 3 options for oil outlet pre-drilled whereas the TRD one only has one as they didnt need to give flexibility in mounting as it was only designed for 1 car

I think this would be a better option than redrilling existing inlet

http://www.starrland.com/Supercharger%20rebuild%20instructions%202-22-08.pdf

dgh938peg
30-04-2010, 13:16
Cheers matey!

How about drilling what will be the bottom port out to 1/4" bsp (OD is about 13mm) then making a special fitting to screw up inside it and keep a bit of lube inside? I'll do a sketch after lunch :)

aussiemr2
30-04-2010, 13:22
We need to be careful of that as I did read mention on the Scion forums about some people having issues when the oil was not draining out properly into the sump, causing drag on the bearings I think

I dont think we need to keep oil in the casing as its sprayed in under pressure directly onto the output shaft gear, so its getting thrown everywhere inside at pretty high speeds

Only thinking this stuff because thats what Vortech have done and it seems to work ok

dgh938peg
30-04-2010, 14:11
Good point indeed! I know exactly what you're saying. I keep forgetting the oil is pressurised. So perhaps drilling the base out to 1/4" NPT and using a 1/4" to 8AN oil line to drain would be the ticket.... You're kind of governed by the space on the charger to fit it. The line on the Scion charger is 1/2" ID at the moment (mine still has the fittings on it). I will have a look see if it's possible to jump from 1/8" to 3/8" which would open us up to the possibility of 12AN for the return....

dgh938peg
26-05-2010, 22:26
Big Update time.....

Engine on stand means i can complete the Supercharger fittings.

I had to scrap my front mounting plate - absolute waste of time but hey - if i didn't do it i wouldn't have known :laughing

The bracket mounting the charger is designed to put the nose in such a position that (1) of the existing bolt holes lines up DIRECTLY with the alternator pivot bolt. So here it is :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/168.jpg

Using the alternator bolt hole i will also add in an additional idler to keep the belt nice 'n' tight around the charger pulley.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/169.jpg

Just to show alignment with the top of the front bank cam cover - about as near as it needs to get.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/170.jpg

Then looking down - slightly out here but have corrected this now :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/171.jpg

With both idlers in place - i have every intention of using this left over GE timing belt pulley unless anyone than think otherwise... ? Or i may have made another alloy one the same as on the left... :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/172.jpg

Just to give some idea of belt alignment... pretty much spot on. I need to move the charger only 1mm further away from the block so quite happy i am only that far out :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/173.jpg

Finally the Alternator is now in a FIXED non adjustable position - penned in by the charger nose so am adding this auto belt tensioner in. Ford Mondeo unit (i think) but may opt for one with a longer arm to give greater thrust against the belt... The Scion has something similar to this on it hence i know it'll be fine :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/174.jpg

Happy days...

Now i shall probably, next week, take the engine into work so i can finalise the bracketry. The plate already on the charger nose is stainless so it makes sense to keep it the same - which i have zero ability in welding :D

Lime-Light
14-09-2010, 16:44
I've been looking for TC superchargers since I saw this thread a few months back, since they are discontinued it has become difficult to find them for sale. Any idea how much modification to your plans would be required to use the Vortech unit?

PW, do you have a rough estimate what this kit would cost once it's all said and done? Need to know when I should start saving my pennies :)

aussiemr2
18-09-2010, 06:33
Paul, I know you are flat out with other projects but any sign of a release of the supercharger kit, I have one burning a hole in my workbench since your announcement :-). Seems like Dan has slowed down on his too after he had engine problems

Paul Woods
18-09-2010, 08:06
Yes the kit will still be done, it's just taking longer to achieve with having a busy garage to run, everyone wants a piece of me at the minute but i'm afraid there is only so much i can give.

If i can get a clear run at it the kit won't take long, but my garage must take priority as that pays the bills.

MRV6
18-09-2010, 19:49
everyone wants a piece of me at the minute but i'm afraid there is only so much i can give.

Can I have your coco pop and your left ear mate?

dgh938peg
18-09-2010, 20:41
PW has the mk2 bracket now. Improved fit etc etc blah blah blah. I gave it to him 10 miles before my hg's gave out! :D

I will be back on mine over winter mate. as soon as i have something to help Paul out further with the kit i will pass it on. With all my engine grief i just wanted to have a bit of fun in the car before i started pulling it apart again - I'm sure you can understand that bud!

Anyway, only really gotta figure out a few more supports at the front end, and fab up the IC pipes (i know PW plans on CC'ing it) Just got so much on i need to finish a few little projects here and there!

Lime-Light
24-02-2011, 15:56
is this dead? :icon_tumbleweed:

snowtigger
24-02-2011, 16:18
No I think it's having a sabbatical, because the people involved need to earn a living while developing it, and it has run into a few complications and redesigns but it's getting there.
When its ready those involved will no doubt post up the results, maybe there hoarding used scion superchargers to make kits in readiness for all the v6 conversions people hammering on there doors for them.

dgh938peg
24-02-2011, 16:30
Should be up and running by April 15 - big update then :)

Paul Woods
24-02-2011, 18:42
Dan and i are very busy people with a lot going on in the background, this will get done, but we need to prioritise things like earning money and seeing to customers etc

It's definately not dead, just needs more time putting into it.

Lime-Light
23-03-2011, 03:41
Meant no disrespect, I understand that you need to earn a living, and I have the utmost respect for what you do to earn money! BTW you need to update your Location to add V12, you nut

aussiemr2
23-03-2011, 12:12
Maybe we should start a fund or put our names down for a deposit to give Paul the incentive to finish it, we dont even know how many people are waiting on this kit being developed

dgh938peg
23-03-2011, 15:28
To be fair Paul is kind of waiting on me.

Paul Woods
23-03-2011, 19:10
Both Dan and myself are responsible for the lack of progress with this, it's very much a part time project for both of us, i wish we had limitless hours for this kind of thing but life just isn't like that.

This will happen, it just isn't a priority for Dan or I right now, the basic mechanics of it all are done and dusted, there should be no obstacle to making it work, just a matter of getting some workshop hours thrown at it.

OlberJ
23-03-2011, 22:44
Talk to me.

What needs done to prove the theory?

BBJ needs a boot up the arse.

Paul Woods
24-03-2011, 06:32
We need to mount one onto an engine with some basic boost control and run it with an AFR gauge and a boost gauge to see how it runs and what fuelling adjustments possibly need making if any.

There are going to have to be some mods done in the engine bay to fit this unit, moreso on the Mk3 i think, parcel shelf cutting, that sort of thing.

I think sooner or later i'm going to need someone to dive in and let us have a go to get any real progress made, a test mule to carry out all of the R&D work.

OlberJ
24-03-2011, 09:54
Well i've been meaning to re-do my access panel anyways so nowt to stop us cutting a bigger hole and re-working the panel to fit around the charger.

Is it just height or you think it will intrude on the front firewall too? Bare in mind mine isn't hung off a jig either so could be a bit further forward or back than your own.

dgh938peg
24-03-2011, 10:38
Right ok - i'm gonna go for it an provide all the info i can on this charger set up so hopefully will apease some folk for a while. I will list out where i am and whap a load of pics up on the end of my ramblings.... :)

From a mk2 perspective.

- It will fit the 3vzfe with minor alteration to the pulley end aluminium casting to get it on the alternator pivot bolt in line with the v-belt.
- The charger is too narrow to fit across the 1mzfe and nor is there space to move it further forward without modification of the firewall.
- The SW20 intercooler fits nicely in the air intake side recess, i have brackets drawn up for mounting it, tho guess most will opt for CC's
- The biggest restriction to power with this kit will be the stock intake plenum. PW and I are working on this also.
- We have the bracket made and in hand for mounting the SC to the head.
- Alternator - will no longer be used for belt tension as it has no room to move - becomes static!
- I have yet to figure out additional bracing for the belt end bracket for the SC
- I have yet to figure out tensioning for the SC - though i do have (2) different types to play with once i have my engine out.
- Oil feed will be taken from the cooler and return via a custom bracket - i have these made already for mine
- Intercooler pipes, i have not made these yet but have enough blanks to figure it out.
- Crankcase ventilation - this WILL need addressing - i have!!! Well known on boosted apps that stock PCV is not man enough
- Headgaskets. you should be ok with good quality stock items, though i have fitted 5vz-fe mls items (please no debate) and ARP studs
- Injectors - cannot comment if stocks are ok but i am switching to 440cc 7m-gte items which fit with a couple of o-rings and a little metal fettling
- ECU - cannot comment if stock will work ok. I am switching to a Link G£ i've had unused for a few years, coupled to wideband and also knocksense for added peace of mind.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/172.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/171.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/157.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/158.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/242.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/240.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/246.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/04/247.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/159.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/160.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/161.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2010/05/168.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/03/162.jpg

The big updates will come next month. This is when i will be installing and running this kit .... finally!

Moustachio
24-03-2011, 12:18
Awesome stuff Dan.

I was planning on booking my mk1 in with Paul at the end of the year for this conversion (he doesn't know this yet (well I guess he does now!), although he does know how keen I am to supercharge as we went for some preparatory work on the 1mz install (decent gaskets etc))... can't wait to see more progress :)

dgh938peg
24-03-2011, 12:34
The beef with the 1mz is quite large Moustachio. the head will not fit within the constraints of the charger. If you look at my pic above, the back end of the charger is pretty much where the oil filler cap is. This is not insurmountable. With adam possibly making a 40mm thick alloy spacer and a 40mm longer flexible coupling it will straddle the 1mz in the position shown above.........

........BUT....

We are then blessed with another big issue. The 3vz cambelt is driving the inlet cam. this keeps the belt all nice and compact. For some reason on the 1mz (probably to do with further development and the later vvti version) they switched the belt drive to the exhaust cam. Now this is quite insurmountable! The SC's nose is about where the 1mz cam pulley is if you look at my pic above.

All is not lost though. .... ..... thankfully. The ideal location changes from outside of the front bank to inside of the front bank. It will fit (with the spacer i mentioned earlier) in the vee but will mean relocating some of the vsv's that are sat in there already. I have sat the SC in this position on mr2big's car. it will fit there :)

Goldy
24-03-2011, 16:19
Is there any space to mount towards the bottom of the engine, in a similar location to the standard MK2 alternator position on the 1MZ?

dgh938peg
24-03-2011, 16:22
Very little room with a V6 in there Si. don't forget the V6 is canted backward so the rear bank is pretty much in the standard alternator position.

OlberJ
24-03-2011, 19:23
Ah, i see now, that makes it a bugger for the Mk3's then. as that will want to sit in the V right at the back of the lid.

Hmmmm.

MR2_NA
25-03-2011, 18:15
We need to mount one onto an engine with some basic boost control and run it with an AFR gauge and a boost gauge to see how it runs and what fuelling adjustments possibly need making if any.

There are going to have to be some mods done in the engine bay to fit this unit, moreso on the Mk3 i think, parcel shelf cutting, that sort of thing.

I think sooner or later i'm going to need someone to dive in and let us have a go to get any real progress made, a test mule to carry out all of the R&D work.

My car and bank account is waiting :) Bottom end re-built!

I'd prefer over a 2gr in all honesty as my blood went into the swap.

Lime-Light
30-03-2011, 15:48
I'm in for a kit, whenever it's done. I was looking to start out with stock injectors and ECU to start with, so I hope it works.

petec
19-04-2011, 22:22
Looking forward to the results of this, good work guys !

dgh938peg
07-05-2011, 23:14
Big update folks!!!!

Had a mega day on the car today - i really cannot believe the progress in one day :D Everything just seemed to come together :thumbup:

Firstly - crank angle sensor....

Run into a little grief here but I'm either gonna proceed as is with a smaller VR pick up wheel or possibly use the 5VZ-FE pump and pick up instead...

So first off, cut off part of the belt drive for the p/s pump
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/113.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/114.jpg

Lined up the pick up wheel
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/115.jpg

The trouble is the pickup wheel clashes with the lowe cover. So my thinking is to laser-cut a smaller one

Supercharger.......

Get the custom bracket bolted up to the block....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/116.jpg

It uses the 2 bolt holes from the lifting hook
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/117.jpg

and one for the loom housing
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/118.jpg

Coolant line....

Gonna do something a bit different. I'm running it through the centre of the V..
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/119.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/120.jpg

So now an overview :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/121.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/122.jpg

Belt tensioner

As i have no A/C, the auto tensioner is going here
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/123.jpg

Stroke of luck

The hook for lifting the engine fits on the opposite corner!!!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/124.jpg

.... and have built a lifting eye into the SC bracket
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/125.jpg

Now.....

...... for something bling!!!!

This is my custom plenum. I've taped it together to check fitment of everything
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/126.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/127.jpg

Enlarged PCV has plenty of clearance!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/128.jpg

Here's the front one over the top of the custom waterpipe
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/129.jpg

and with the V-bank cover on....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/130.jpg

Big ass throttle body!!!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/131.jpg

Obsessive this shaving thing - I've cut off a through coolant line that's no longer necessary.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/132.jpg

As i am ditching the AFM i will fit a mini filter to the intake.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/133.jpg

I've also demolished the loom back to labelled components as well. It's amazing how much cr*p you can ditch !!! I'll post some pics tomorrow!

thanks for looking!

hmmmmm
07-05-2011, 23:39
Wow now there's an update! Nice work mate :)

That intake plenum looks like a beast! Im very curious about the inside though, are you going to use thrumpets or just weld the box on the runners?

dgh938peg
07-05-2011, 23:47
Thanks!

To be honest, anything is better than the standard plenum!!! I am not putting trumpets in but will flute it as best i possibly can to give a smooth transition.. :thumbsup:

Gouky
07-05-2011, 23:49
oh, i'm going to save you a bit of time and debugging...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/123.jpg

you want the tensioner to be on the side of the crank that is feeding out instead of in. otherwise your tensioner has to work extra hard and your supercharger will slip & sequel.

dgh938peg
08-05-2011, 00:01
Thanks Mark!

..... not sure how i'll achieve that tho....

what would you say to ditching the auto tensioner, using the idler wheel and mounting it on a slider with a tensioning bolt instead? Do you think that'd be any better?

Im struggling to think how to fit one on the other side of the belt...

Gouky
08-05-2011, 00:03
yeah, going for a manually tensioned setup at the same location would be just fine. i'd suggest something like the 3s-gte stock setup where there's a bolt to set the tension and another to lock it in.

just don't overtension it, that's just as much of a problem

Paul Woods
08-05-2011, 09:35
I still can't believe how stock that charger looks in situ, it really does look meant to be for this engine, fantastic work mate.

Jiff Lemon
08-05-2011, 10:39
Thanks!

To be honest, anything is better than the standard plenum!!! I am not putting trumpets in but will flute it as best i possibly can to give a smooth transition.. :thumbsup:

Well, just to hurl some more ideas at you, what about adding a charge cooler to the plenum, jaguar styleee?

Paul Woods
08-05-2011, 10:48
Good shout that Jiff, wham a couple of laminova cores in there and you can do away with your IC :thumbsup:

http://www.thinkauto.com/laminova.htm

vish
08-05-2011, 15:15
awesome progress there!

OlberJ
08-05-2011, 16:53
Thanks Mark!

..... not sure how i'll achieve that tho....

what would you say to ditching the auto tensioner, using the idler wheel and mounting it on a slider with a tensioning bolt instead? Do you think that'd be any better?

Im struggling to think how to fit one on the other side of the belt...

Is it possible to make up a new arm for the tensioner that will sit behind the belt?

That way it's mounted down where the AC was, runs behind the belt and pulls it back down on the correct side of the belt track?

dgh938peg
08-05-2011, 22:52
Cleaned up the fuel rails today (weather was too good to be stuck in the garage all day)

roughed them out with a 4" 80grit sander them flatted them by hand
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/135.jpg

The completed rail setup (though i will alter the position of the return pipe to the pressure reg)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/136.jpg

The oil feed location for the charger
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/137.jpg

Dunno about the belt Olber - I'm a way off that yet. :)

sketchy
09-05-2011, 07:35
couldn't you do something off the front mount...for the tensioner?..tab it off the block to mount bolt, and line it up with the bolts from the chassis part of the mount?

just a brain fart...probably of no use

dgh938peg
18-05-2011, 08:47
Here's my Mr2 N/A shaved ISCV :)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/207.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/208.jpg

Importantly with this it's a 3-wire unit (opposed to a 6-wire unit on the Camry engine) which means i have 3 spare outputs from my link ECU to configure for other purposes! :)

I didnt have facility to plug weld the holes up so cut the coolant barbs off, flushed them down, tapped the holes and fitted a couple of short M6 A/key screws. As it's on the underside of my plenum now i see no reason to take detailing it any further.

dgh938peg
25-05-2011, 11:17
Few more cut parts turned up today

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/05/246.jpg

From top right clockwise (all parts laser cut)
- pick up ring for crank VR sensor
- cap for distributor (stainless but will be powdercoated)
- blanks for O2 sensors (Link G3 does not need them)
- positioning ring for mounting VR pick up ring (to aid finding TDC as it has +/- 60 deg marks)

dgh938peg
01-06-2011, 09:13
Just got my custom made spark plug leads. :yahoo:
I needed the toyota plug end and a Ford EDIS-6 on the other (using a wasted spark coil pack) all to custom lengths.... :shocked:

Big thanks to Jason at Rallynuts who was able to sort me out really quickly! :th:

So here the coil end
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/7.jpg

and as most may recognise; the plug end
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/8.jpg

I had (obviously) a set of each, which i sent off to Jason and he passed onto his builder to make me a custom set of leads..

So i get back a set of 6 numbered leads with the correct ends! :yahoo:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/9.jpg

Fan dabby dosy! :D

dgh938peg
01-06-2011, 09:14
Not much happening this weekend unfortunately. g/f's birthday so best for my health i spend it around her. though i did get some done on saturday morning while she was at work.

The fly off the turbo, now down at the machine shop to have the holes sorted :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/10.jpg

Supercharger support now complete. Does not move at all! :th:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/11.jpg

Started making my new loom. labelling the ends up as i go.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/12.jpg

dgh938peg
01-06-2011, 09:15
Done a fair bit this eve. Sump is now baffled somewhat so cornering starvation risk should be lessened.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/13.jpg

Oil return fitting done

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/14.jpg

New spark leads fitted Coil position sorted (bracket to be made)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/15.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/16.jpg

Front side wiring loom completed :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/17.jpg

aussiemr2
01-06-2011, 10:15
This is making me want mine done even more now :-)
Lookin good

Paul Woods
01-06-2011, 18:01
Coming along very nicely indeed mate

adamh
01-06-2011, 22:46
superb work on the charger. Are you using the existing bottom end baffle with your new sump placed one?

dgh938peg
01-06-2011, 22:59
Thanks Adam.

Yep this added baffle works with the existing plate beneath the crank. My bottom end failure was simply from being mid-way between H & L marks and a hard, long left hand bend. There are 2 sizeable holes in each corner of the baffle to allow oil through but should stop (or at least ease the potential possibility) extreme sloshing :)

GONE IN 4.5 SECONDS
04-06-2011, 19:33
:emot-master::emot-master:Hi paul. will you be making a supercharger for the V8 project ?????????????????????????

Paul Woods
04-06-2011, 19:36
No i'm afraid i won't be, it's mad enough! Welcome to TB by the way.

Dan if it's ok with you i'd like to rename this thread "Dpegs Scion Supercharger build" because you are the one really running with this one mate, i don't have any time to devote to it at all, especially with all the Lotus stuff about to explode.

GONE IN 4.5 SECONDS
04-06-2011, 19:49
That,s a shame paul, as it will my caryou fitting the V:icon_biggrin:8 too.

dgh938peg
06-06-2011, 09:04
@ Paul - by all means mate! if you wish to rename - go for it. You know these brackets and info are all yours once i am done with it....

---------------------------

Been raining beans & sausages today so kept the doors shut and completed the loom today :th:

Repaired the plastic conduit for the loom (you'll like this one PW). The two plastic ears always break and so it doesn't sit in the right place. This'll never break :)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/45.jpg

And on the car

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/46.jpg

I'll stick some pics up of the completed loom an & off the car tomorrow :D

aussiemr2
06-06-2011, 12:15
Would like more details on what you did to fix the conduit, I am in the process of sorting out my loom and one of my lugs is broken too
Also do you have a template for the sump baffle?

Paul

dgh938peg
06-06-2011, 12:26
I'll take some more pics of the support brackets on the conduit tonight Aussie. Very simply put, they're 1.6mm folded sheet, cut & drilled to suit then pop-riveted to the plastic.

If you pm me your email addy i can send you a sump baffle template :)

aussiemr2
06-06-2011, 12:57
I think I get the idea, will give it a shot, mine has only gone on the right hand side probably due to oil leak from dizzy, my wifes camry had an oil leak from the dizzy when we bought it and the conduit on it is broken in the same place as well so must be a really common problem, pity cause if it had of been intact i was swapping it over:-)

aussiemr2
06-06-2011, 13:36
I just noticed on your fuel rail setup you have the fuel damper on the opposite end on the inlet fuel rail, if you leave it there then the first 3 injectors will not be receiving dampened fuel pressure
Remember it is there to even out the pulses from the fuel pump

dgh938peg
06-06-2011, 13:41
Hi Paul,

I know a lot of folk ditch it. I am putting a supply onto each end of the rail. I figured it'd be better to keep it on one end rather than lose it altogether.

aussiemr2
06-06-2011, 13:51
you might as well ditch it then, its probably not doing much where it is
I left mine on and used an earls banjo fitting to keep it in the original position

dgh938peg
06-06-2011, 22:42
Love this pic just for sheer "Roflmao" :laughing

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/47.jpg

Anyway, the completed loom...! I'm done back as far as the rubber grommet to the boot. Well pleased with it and is probably 2/3 the weight of the original - albeit including more kit :th:

So an overview of the loom all hooked up.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/48.jpg

Front bank injectors and earth bonds

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/49.jpg

Rear bank injectors and coolant temp sensor for dash!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/50.jpg

Here's the EDIS coilpack, ISCV, TPS, AIT and dizzy (now just a cam position sensor)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/51.jpg

Here's the knock, reverse switch, hardwired wideband, and starter solenoid

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/52.jpg

Finally, alt feed, alt signal, t/stat temp, oil pressure, oil level & crank angle sensor

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/53.jpg

The loom off the engine

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/54.jpg

The repair brackets for the conduit

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/55.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/06/56.jpg

Happy days! :D

Paul Woods
07-06-2011, 06:42
Outstanding work, the repaired conduit is great, they are often broken and that's a great way to repair it :thumbsup:

dgh938peg
07-06-2011, 08:18
Want some brackets paul?

Paul Woods
07-06-2011, 18:44
Only if it's not too much trouble mate :thumbsup:

dgh938peg
07-06-2011, 21:44
No worries pal! i'll measure them up tomorrow eve and send them down the laser cutters - I'll get you 20 sets done mate!

roseward
23-07-2011, 22:23
Has this come to a grinding halt or is it still bubbling away somewhere in the background, just that i've had my charger for a while now, just sitting there waiting for pauls kit ?

dgh938peg
23-07-2011, 22:26
God tell me about it. The plan was to be finished ..... with a bit of luck .... in time for Japshow!!!! I still don't have my parts back from the powdercoaters!!! Called him Friday and to be fair he has a MASSIVE job on and is working 6am - 6pm. But i've told him i must have them for tuesday morning.

So then it's on with the rebuild.. :)

dgh938peg
18-08-2011, 11:16
PW - haven't forgotten about the brackets - just not had time mate. I'll pattern them up tonight and get some cut for you as soon as :)

Update time

One big ass green subframe!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/174.jpg

Exterior shot of the side vent internal plates
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/175.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/176.jpg

And from the inside
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/177.jpg

Pretty pleased thus far :cool1:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/178.jpg

Fan on and vac pipe connected (vac valve polished as well)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/179.jpg

Will run the fan wires back along the driver side chassis.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/180.jpg

IC and Fuel filler pipe in
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/181.jpg

Fresh looking heatshield
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/182.jpg

Breather for the fuel tank ... lol green! :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/183.jpg

Pair of rebuilt torque mounts.... the colour combo could be better! :puking:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/184.jpg

It's the little touches :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/185.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/186.jpg

Anyway had the day trucking round picking up a few bits... first stop was the powdercoater.... settled up my bill (£200 for the lot which included £80 of shot blasting!!!) and here's the results...

Kermit's replacement fronts. my existing 2 are buckled. They're good enough for the trailer but not too clever for hooning on. requiring 110g and 150g of weight to balance.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/187.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/188.jpg

I've realised i've not stuck up any pics of the parts done before i went away... so here they are.. This is all the suspension parts, little engine brackets, alloy parts, bits, stuff and things... :D . On some part i opted for a sating finish - others high gloss...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/189.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/190.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/191.jpg

Next was round to butterworths to collect my freshly plated bolts. This i couldn't get my head round.. Said on email that there was about 3kg of bolts and quoted me £30-40.... which i was happy with. So got Jessica to take them in for me before we went away on holiday. Seeing as i was having them done i had all the suspension bolts and odds 'n' ends in there.

So knowing i had way more weight in there i popped into get them. Had no idea there was 14.5kg and feared the worst.....! a big wallet bumming... I did a proper double-take when he said £25 :blink: :blink: :th: :th: :th:

And here we are!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/192.jpg

There are a few that haven't survived but nothing major so far and should have plenty of spares i can get re-done if needed. :th:

I also have the lightweight flywheel modded and back with me so i am pretty much all parts available. :D

So i had a couple of hours in the garage this evening but nothing heavy as am pretty shattered and it's back to work tomorrow.

The sump is back on (makes such a cleanliness difference working with "fresh" bolts)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/193.jpg
Will note here Mr T told me uncategorically that the sump has no gasket and use sealant only.

Next the return fitting for oil from the SC.....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/194.jpg

..... and fitted
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/195.jpg

Now the oil feed for the SC. This is a modified allen-key bolt with an AN-6 fitting welded to it though the exact fitting is available on the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AN6-06-M16x1-5-Metric-Straight-Adapter-/160549656811?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25618158eb#ht_500wt_922
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/196.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/197.jpg

So it's starting to take shape now :)

adamh
20-08-2011, 16:21
looking awesome there, i like the bolt plating idea that's good for those pesky rusting fasteners

dgh938peg
20-08-2011, 22:09
Have to say Adam ... i was blown away how cheap it was..... Very pleased indeed :)

hmmmmm
20-08-2011, 22:47
Nice touch on the oil feed, easier then welding alu :)

dgh938peg
25-08-2011, 10:02
Rebuilt cam covers...

As i had these shot blasted (i have seen powdercoating flaking off very easily due to improper surface preparation - particularly on car parts) i drilled out the alloy "rivets" holding the PCV baffles in place. Tapped them out M5 and now thread-locked in a load of M5 pan head screws. Those babies are not coming out! :laughing

So pleased with the finish on these... :cool1:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/241.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/242.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/243.jpg

Shall fit these tonight and close up the engine for the foreseeable (touchwood) :zip

-------------------------

Bit more bolting up this eve.

Cam covers on :cool1: totally in love with this look... :D
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/244.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/245.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/246.jpg

Colder grade of plugs fitted.... Sourced by JP4mance :th:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/247.jpg

New custom Ford/Toyota hybrid leads fitted (along with the partial plenum for show)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/248.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/08/249.jpg

Goldy
25-08-2011, 10:39
looking good dan!

dgh938peg
25-08-2011, 11:03
I only wish i could take better pictures Si. I'm using the iPhone (path of least resistance - or more importantly i am a lazy git & can't be arsed to buy more batteries for the camera) which doesn't do too well in low light.

Next week will be spent welding up a few parts.

Having an adapter welded to the base of the SC body to form a drain pool for the oil ... do not want gears dragging

Also making an adapter to directly couple a SARD fuel pressure reg onto the rail .... meaning one less line to possibly leak and one less bracket to mount

And finally should be getting the plenum welded up ... that i am really looking forward to seeing done :)

aussiemr2
25-08-2011, 11:50
I only wish i could take better pictures Si. I'm using the iPhone (path of least resistance - or more importantly i am a lazy git & can't be arsed to buy more batteries for the camera) which doesn't do too well in low light.

Next week will be spent welding up a few parts.

Having an adapter welded to the base of the SC body to form a drain pool for the oil ... do not want gears dragging

Also making an adapter to directly couple a SARD fuel pressure reg onto the rail .... meaning one less line to possibly leak and one less bracket to mount

And finally should be getting the plenum welded up ... that i am really looking forward to seeing done :)

Hi Dan , do you mean put your FPR on the rail like this?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/07/37.jpg

Also what sort of adapter are you welding to the SC body?

Paul

dgh938peg
25-08-2011, 13:55
That's pretty much the plan Paul. Though i cannot seem to find an M12 x 1.25 to 1/8" bsp adapter. So will take the two parts i have, bit of machining, bit of alloy welding and hey presto.

The adapter on the SC... Basically i had no success tapping the casing M20 x 1.25 for the AN10 adapter so we have drilled this out further to leave a little "pool" for oil to sit in before going down the return line. I've heard these SC's can drag their gears if immersed in oil so this is my attempt to "cure" it somewhat. So over the "pool" i'll weld a 10mm thick plate with the hole pre-tapped in it for the fitting.

The 3vz fuel rails polish up lovely don't they Paul! :D

aussiemr2
25-08-2011, 14:39
Yea really makes it all look shiney :-)

Looking forward to seeing the result of this, I probably wont push mine as hard initially but I will still mount everything the same way, at least my internals should handle anything this SC can throw at it

dgh938peg
25-08-2011, 16:44
I haven't done anything with the block on mine for good reason......

From Vortech i have on order the F-trim (i think) compressor and housing. What we have is 7psi the new one flows 14psi and a shed load more air obviously! Hence making the whopping great inlet.

However i have no intention on using a stock block and pistons. Which is why i am sourcing another engine to have the cams done, Low Comp pistons, forged rods, toughened crank and ACL bearings.

dgh938peg
23-09-2011, 11:13
nothing major this evening.

Dipstick all done though - missed this off from last week :blush:

Basically, in the stock position, it would be right through the centre of the SC driveshaft. So had to cut the original top mounting bracket off, tweak the pipe and weld on a new bracket. Oh and paint it of course :D

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/133.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/134.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/135.jpg

dgh938peg
29-09-2011, 23:16
Not really related to the supercharger but a big part of the overall build

had this adapter made to attach the SARD fuel pressure regulator directly onto the fuel rail. My mate has done an excellent job on it for me :D

And the adapter works a treat - well happy with it! :D

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/322.jpg
__________________________________________________ _

Right .... f**k it... balls to the wind time!

I ordered CBR900 pencil COP yesterday, it turned up today and was pleasantly surprised.. These things are proper compact! PW thinks there's no reason why it shouldn't work so pinkies crossed here.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/323.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/324.jpg

I think this will work... so compare lengths assembled with plug
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/325.jpg

One minor problem is the plugs need the threaded top but am sure i can source them. Already checked with with PW and he's sure i'll be able to source them no bother.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/326.jpg

Fits down the hole nicely. though the rubber has to come off so need to make a cover there or new rubber there.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/327.jpg

length comparisons....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/328.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/329.jpg

both together
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/325.jpg

exploded view
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/330.jpg

so just need to find a threaded top version of this plug
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/331.jpg

First batch of CBR coils and connectors have arrived today. It's going to work a treat!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/09/332.jpg

To connect the plug to the coil i have ordered the spring clips that you normally find in plug leads. I will then make a screw in adapter to fit the coil that will have the clip on the bottom of it so no modifications to the engine as is. Really excited about this :)

Goldy
01-10-2011, 14:35
Thats a great mod... coil on plugs great idea, what ECU are you planning on running it all with again?

antnkel
01-10-2011, 22:58
Hi Dan, thought you'd have had yours up n running by now. What bhp you going for now?

dgh938peg
03-10-2011, 12:05
@ Si - I have a Hydra Nemesis 2.5 ECU that i picked up for a song! :D

@ Ant - we're nearly there but i keep getting these little ideas that are sooooooo much easier to incorporate while the engine is out. Especially when you're trying to hide as much engine guff as possible - particularly the loom - HATE seeing it.. Another that means stripping down (again) further is the 5vz oil pump. It has a built in mounting for the VR crank sensor. Another thing hidden :)

Power-wise Ant, I've got to the point now where i really am not all that fussed. If i see 300hp great, but if not so be it.. i will still have a totally unique car & engine (for the time being anyway). If i have my figures right then 300 should be totally achievable. But i just want the car back & running now :)

the_torquefather
03-10-2011, 12:54
Great install btw looks uber neat! Whats the reason for going coil on plug? Better spark quality or just to hide away the coils and have a neater install? Are you still going batch fire these (as in wasted spark ignition) or aiming for fully sequential ignition?

dgh938peg
03-10-2011, 15:05
The reason primarily behind COP's was neatness. I have an EDIS-6 (Ford setup with custom plug leads) Wasted spark bundle that i was planning on using but the coilpack is a monster & something else i need to mount/hide. So I've lost the plug leads now and can simply remake the loom again integrating the connectors for the coil supplies.
I'm pretty sure i can go full sequential on the nemesis but am struggling to find any full & complete pin-out diagram for the ECU. I am hoping Sumo Power will be able to do something (going there saturday for a chat). Tracktive can but am not sure i want to go to them...

dgh938peg
03-10-2011, 16:11
Now i am proper fucked off!

emailed Hydra...

Hi there,

I am working on a project where I will be using your ECU (Nemesis 2.5) and am kind of hoping you can help me a bit. Basically I have little left on the engine that is standard and wiring is my last big challenge. The car is a 94 Toyota MR2 that I myself have converted to use the 3VZ-FE engine from the Camry/Solara. In addition, I have fitted a different oil pump from the 5VZ( to include crank angle sensor, parts from a 1MZ engine a supercharger from a Scion Tc and Individual Coil on Plugs from a Honda CBR900RR motorbike. A friend has a Nemesis on his V6 Mr2 but this will be a lot more involved as far as I can tell.

I’m not after a wiring diagram as such but if you have a pin-out diagram that would be a massive help to me. I have found bits and pieces on Miata and Lotus forums but nothing that gives me a full list.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Proper nice and polite i thought.......

..... only to get this response!

We no longer provide free support for the Hydra2.1-2.5 platforms. We can provide wiring schematics for your use for $100.

a hundred bucks to email me a pin-out diagram they WILL have on file!!!! They can f**king bite me!

snowtigger
03-10-2011, 16:42
Tis a bit steep for a diagram the cheeky t##ts, $10 maybe otherwise is it coming written in blood with gold leaf edging.

I think you need some one who has fitted a hydra 2.5 before or an ecu specialist .

Sent from the arse end of nowhere/another planet.

the_torquefather
03-10-2011, 17:46
Assholes! That's no way to run a business! I'll never buy anything from them now that I've heard that.
Isn't there a manual with all the ECU pinouts in it somewhere on the net? Maybe appeal on one of the bigger forums where people are running that ECU to see if the members there have a pinout diagram?

Jiff Lemon
03-10-2011, 21:08
Maybe appeal on one of the bigger forums where people are running that ECU to see if the members there have a pinout diagram?

And then publicise it everywhere you can! :icon_evil:

dgh938peg
03-10-2011, 23:26
It's not so much the charge it's that they didn't even lube up before trying to stiff me!

Had they have said something along the lines of
"That sounds like a really interesting project and cannot wait to see/hear it running. We'd love to help but company policy is bla bla bla"

Sounds a lot better than "$100 or fuck off" (basically)

I think i am going to have to appeal to a couple of forums.. I've emailed Tracktive but imagine i'll get the same response (as they'll want to charge me £175 for a loom adapter - albeit i have no plugs whatsoever on the ECU end....). The Miata boys love this ECU along with some of the Lotus lot too. I will try a few of them. They both have excel documents on their sites that list what goes where specifically to their engines but kinda need a generic 100% pinout list.... we shall see how this pans out....

Paul Woods
04-10-2011, 06:40
Dan that sucks arse mate, but a word of advice, don't use the Hydra anyway, we have experience using it from 5 or 6 years ago. It was recommended to us as the best way to go for an aftermarket ECU setup, but what we weren't told was that Tracktive are the only agent in the UK, so they are also the only ones that can Map this or provide support.

Now in general i wouldn't class this as a major problem, but i have had bad experience with Tracktive, they fecked up the mapping on a couple of our hi spec V6 builds and provided a terrible service, in one case leaving the original AFM on the engine in a bid to save £30 for the IAT sensor that they could have plumbed into a new induction pipe, they also rang me to find out why the car would not run for longer than 3 seconds after fitting the Hydra, which was down to them cutting the AFM wiring (which houses the COR circuit as you know).

Just plain shite mate.

vinp182
04-10-2011, 08:12
Can't Ryan @ 2bar help Dan?

dgh938peg
04-10-2011, 08:43
Bollocks.....

mrT
04-10-2011, 09:48
Lyndon might be able to advise , but haven't seen him online for a long time. I hope he is in good health

headcase
04-10-2011, 10:12
Now i am proper fucked off!

emailed Hydra...

Proper nice and polite i thought.......

..... only to get this response!

a hundred bucks to email me a pin-out diagram they WILL have on file!!!! They can f**king bite me!

dan you got the model of the ecu and what it was for i know some one that fitted these he has a big library of pinout data for them if u got that i try him .
patrick

roseward
04-10-2011, 13:48
You got all this stuff right ?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4892809/Installation-and-tuning-instructions-for-the-Hydra-Nemesis-ECU

dgh938peg
04-10-2011, 15:57
dan you got the model of the ecu and what it was for i know some one that fitted these he has a big library of pinout data for them if u got that i try him .
patrick

It's a Hydra Nemesis 2.5 - If you have or can get something that would be superb thank you Patrick! :thumbsup:

You got all this stuff right ?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4892809/Installation-and-tuning-instructions-for-the-Hydra-Nemesis-ECU

Yeah, got the Miata stuff and the lotus stuff. there's also some Excel Spreadsheets on the sites that have partial pinouts too.

Seeing as it's a US ECU i would probably benefit from asking on some of the US MR2 forums too.

Rest assured i will post it up where-ever i can as a big "Fuck You very much Hydra"

headcase
04-10-2011, 16:26
It's a Hydra Nemesis 2.5 - If you have or can get something that would be superb thank you Patrick! :thumbsup:

Yeah, got the Miata stuff and the lotus stuff. there's also some Excel Spreadsheets on the sites that have partial pinouts too.

Seeing as it's a US ECU i would probably benefit from asking on some of the US MR2 forums too.

Rest assured i will post it up where-ever i can as a big "Fuck You very much Hydra"

right emailed him hes going to look for u and email me back (luck have it hes in the states as well ):thumbsup:

Michael20
11-11-2011, 08:57
Has anyone this Kit ready and installed?

dgh938peg
11-11-2011, 12:38
Nope, but getting there Michael.

I have been to speak to Sumo Power in Rye - West Sussex. They're more than confident at getting this engine up & running with the Nemesis. In fact they seemed extremely knoweldgeable on it and well aware of it's "quirks"

The plan is to have the car to them before or the week after xmas.

noodlez
04-01-2012, 08:06
any updates on this project??? :icon_mrgreen:

dgh938peg
04-01-2012, 08:43
Well.... by my last post .... no! not a hope of getting it to them.

Bought another car - this time a family wagon, 2001 BMW 330d Touring. Lovely car, while it worked.!!! Feel proper done over on it. during my month and a half of ownership i have replaced....
- MAF Sensor
- Clutch
- All Filters (still had the original BMW air filter after 80k (which killed the MAF) despite a FBMWMDSH)
- Front discs
- Front pads
- OSF caliper
- Diesel filter
- glow plugs
- Turbo VGT solenoid

Still to do,
- minor diesel leak (pre high pressure pump)
- replace rear diff bush (knocking on gearchange)

So into this one for £1500 odd and hasn't helped my pre-Christmas enthusiasm to get on with the MR2. Going to get back on it next weekend with a bit of luck..

Paul Woods
04-01-2012, 18:46
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/15.jpg

Whore of Babylon
04-01-2012, 21:37
:d :d :d :d

dgh938peg
05-01-2012, 09:58
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/15.jpg

LoL!

What with the car and being forced to finish the bathroom (which i started 16 months ago) i haven't had an ounce of spare time.... I'll update where I am in the next day or so!

Moustachio
05-01-2012, 13:53
well its certainly looking good to fit a 1mz in a mk1 engine bay ;) Just hope the internals can take it!

dgh938peg
06-01-2012, 14:21
This is where i stand now...

Was not happy with the full on direct pull on the BATB so I've machined a few bits up, welded a few bits on and come up with this.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/47.jpg

It's the Camry setup with a lot of the un-necessary guff removed and adapted to work on the BATB.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/48.jpg

For 50% of throttle pedal travel it opens the BATB approximately 15%. It'll make driveability much better. :th:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/49.jpg

Update time!

Picked up parts from Mr T today .... My new crank timing pulley :D

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/50.jpg

This is from the 5vzfe and permits use of the integrated vr sensor

Michael was kind enough to lend me a spare 1mz vr sensor - this pic confirms it will not be suitable

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/51.jpg

The parts are easy enough to get from Toyota but would have been nice if there was a UK car we could get used parts off. The timing pulley was £58 alone

I now have the VR sensor for 5VZ Crank and Cam. confirmed they will work fine.

I need to drop the sump off the engine again, fit the new 5vz pump, plug the hole in the pump for the 5vz dipstick, modify the 3VZ pickup to suit the 5VZ pump (using bits of old 3s pickup)

Then mod a spare timing belt cover back (that foxy-stoat was kind enough to sling my way) to accept the VR cam sensor & make a bracket.

Then mod the pulley wheel to add a pickup much like this per the 5VZ
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/52.jpg
to allow the cam sensor to pick up.
Will be hidden under the rear bank so unseen (i will weatherproof it of course :thumbsup: )

Then knock up a tensioner for the belt - due to SC position this can no longer be done with the alternator & will need an independent tensioner (the alternator is fixed position)

Then all that's left is rebuild the loom with all the goodies in it.. :)

Ah - PW do you happen to have a spare blank for where i will be removing the dizzy mate? I'm sure i can get one from Mr T but thought i'd try scrounging first!

the other thing i am struggling with is the plugs for the VR sensors... If anyone can help here i would be grateful, can take pics of the connectors if necessary.

dgh938peg
09-01-2012, 21:08
With the new sensors i need a couple new plugs to rebuild the loom (again). Shouldn't take too long if/when i get them. These are 5vz cam and crank sensors. I'm kind of hoping that maybe we can identify them to be the same as turn of the century 1zz or something similar..

Both sensors require the same plug.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/58.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/59.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/60.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/61.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/62.jpg

EDIT;

Wire is not an issue, i have plenty of shielded cable to replace with just need the socket with a bit of wire so i can splice in.

headcase
09-01-2012, 21:28
I can have a look for u i know i get wires with the little connections on the ends as there the same as a vx repair wires for camsensor .
Patrick

dgh938peg
09-01-2012, 21:37
That would be cool Patrick. Thanks

headcase
10-01-2012, 10:26
http://connectorsfast.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15

any of these look right
patrick (got the local toyota dealer looking in the stock for dead products but hard to see when not got the sensor to try in ) still looking

dgh938peg
12-01-2012, 09:32
Mainly for Patrick's benefit but here's the measurements of the sensor.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/119.jpg

I have now sourced these from JimKing and mr2big ..... thank you very much fellas!

headcase
12-01-2012, 13:03
sorted plugs be with me monday if u still pushed will have part number for furture ones(got 3 pairs coming )

Patrick

dgh938peg
13-01-2012, 09:06
Tell you what Patrick, I may take a pair off you just so i have spares! Do you need any screened cable?

headcase
13-01-2012, 13:46
Tell you what Patrick, I may take a pair off you just so i have spares! Do you need any screened cable?

when i pick up on monday i pm u and send your address, or i put a set in the car and give to u when i see u up to u mate .screen no that ok i got rolls of it cheers any way nice to help peps

patrick

dgh938peg
13-01-2012, 15:01
Great!

Gonna look to getting the mechanical side done this weekend then & early next week then work toward re-jigging the loom a bit :)

headcase
16-01-2012, 09:49
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/246.jpg
Here we go
Patrick

dgh938peg
19-01-2012, 10:29
Update 1/2

And so I'm back on it. Took a few bits off and now the 5vz oil pump and crank sensor are fitted
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/292.jpg
Also plugged the 5vz dipstick tube in the pump

Here's the little bit to overcome...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/293.jpg
The pickup attachment is in a different location - gonna get a bit more tube tomorrow from the trailer donor & finish off

Here's where the cam sensor will go (rear bank)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/294.jpg
Will be making a custom bracket & cutting a hole in the cover..

dgh938peg
19-01-2012, 10:45
update 2/2

bit more done last night!

Firstly ... big thanks to Patrick aka headcase for sourcing me the connectors for cam and crank sensors! Brand new too!

Here's the measurements of the sensor
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/119.jpg

and here's the part # for the plug only.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/295.jpg

so individual plugs can be bought from Mr T if needed!

Modified oil pickup fitted
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/296.jpg
Uses the stock pick up position 80% of the stock pipe, a new stainless flange and a new bit of tube in the middle. The pickup is exactly the same position as a stock 3vz to within a few mm.

So the sump is back on and closed up again.... for the last time :)

Now the bottom belt cover is not the same - mainly due to the VR sensor. However it is possible to hack a bit out and make it fit. This is temporary as am not 100% keen on it and i will source a 5vz belt cover too.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/297.jpg
It does still seal up but i know it's not 100% right ;)

Next ... cam sensor... bit of a moobag really!

Crafted this from a 40mm lump of polyethylene with only a drill and a sander/angle grinder lol!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/298.jpg
Has to be plastic (or non ferrous) as the VR sensors are magnetic. Any steel would affect response.

then cut the area out in the cover
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/299.jpg

Checked the housing fits the hole also check relative position of the timing gear to this hosuing before drilling the mounting hole.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/300.jpg

then at home - check positional fit on the engine.... bob-on this way
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/301.jpg

couldn't have done it better!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/302.jpg

final step.. bond it in place with poogee!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/303.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/304.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/305.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/306.jpg

so now i need to add the tag on the cam pulley for this sensor to pick up on.

Which is where i am not 100%...
Crank pulleys are 60* away from TDC (before i think) on a V6 90* on a 4 cyl, 45* on a v8 and 30* on a v12.... you get the idea.

But where should the position of the cam sensor fall relative to TDC? I have no idea!

Help would be appreciated :)

sturobturbo
19-01-2012, 11:54
continues to be a very interesting read!

Lee
19-01-2012, 14:22
Dan, do the plugs have tails on so you can solder them into the loom or do you have to buy pins and crimp the wires to them before inserting into the plug?

Nice to know you can get them from Toyota rather than an entire loom..

headcase
19-01-2012, 14:45
i think but i have to check the old brain not what it used to be if on tdc then the camshaft has to be on number 1 cylinder and mount there . as it is for ref and sync , i check tonight through all me old paper work .

patrick

dgh938peg
20-01-2012, 14:26
I took the view that it's a standalone ECU & you can tell it where ever this tag is.... That said, we stuck it at TDC on #1 anyway :)

Tag done!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/315.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/316.jpg

Gotta grind it to shape. Set at TDC (roughly)

how the 5vz ones look..

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/52.jpg

though it's clear this one sits on the outside of the rear bank pulley... I did not want that... There is 4mm of room all round so that is what i'll have :)

Timing belt back plate complete...!
Refitted.!
Timing belt back on!
Bottom pulley painted!
Engine mount back on!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/317.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/318.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/01/319.jpg

Tomorrow night it's tackle the wiring loom :) Or make a start :th:

headcase
20-01-2012, 15:18
looking good

yes found paper work set to tdc comprission and fit sensor on number 1 cylinder inlet then in the ecu software set in there to trigger .
are u going wasted spark with the cop or going full sequential that why u fitting a cam sensor or does the hyda need it

patrick

dgh938peg
23-01-2012, 13:16
I'm going full coil on plug patrick hence the cam sensor. Hydra 2.5 (so Sumo Power are telling me) can do whatever i want ... it's just knowing the lingo. It is a very capable ECU but more a case of knowing it's complexities!

sturobturbo
29-04-2012, 20:52
just read from start to finish, well done on having the balls to give all this a go.

stu.

Moustachio
30-04-2012, 12:17
Thought you all might be interested:

This is where I am with it so far (in a mk1) all work has been carried out by Rogue...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/04/357.jpg

It was running fine, although the intake air temps were just a little high (bearing in mind this car is a trackday car), so its now getting chargecooled.

Hopefully not long now til its done!

dgh938peg
30-04-2012, 12:21
Yeah - i posted on the Rogue Facebook wall about this one... Was difficult to contain my disappointment in a way! But fair play all the same. It is pretty much as i anticipated it would fit to a 1mz; lengthened shafts and all that :)

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 12:24
So has this been fitted into your mk1 then mustachio I thought this was going into a mk2?

Moustachio
30-04-2012, 12:35
Sorry Dan, didn't mean to steal any thunder etc. and fair play to you, you've done yours all by yourself, massive respect to you... and keep at it, first signs of power are very promising.:icon_wink:

Moustachio
30-04-2012, 12:35
yep into my mk1. Dan's is going into a mk2.

dgh938peg
30-04-2012, 12:37
Nah - no problem at all mate - all in the good of pushing things forward....

so come on ... out with it, how promising? and what injectors are you using? :)

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 12:55
Yes spill the beans lets hear is it 2gr power levels?

dgh938peg
30-04-2012, 12:57
Very true tiggs..... this could be the viable alternative to the totally un-achievable 2gr mk1.....

*rofl*

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 13:05
Shhhh who says a 2gr will fit in a mk1 it'll never happen are you mad, next they will say a supercharger won't fit a 2gr in a mk1.

Moustachio
30-04-2012, 15:28
Well on the original 1mz injectors it was fuel starving badly (wouldn’t rev beyond 5000rpm), and as mentioned intake air temps were a little high... but it made 250hp and 246ft/lb torquies.... measured at the wheels.

It now has Supra injectors, just waiting for the chargecooler set-up before it can go back on the rolling road.

dgh938peg
30-04-2012, 16:19
Excellent ... that follows my calcs too.... I hope the top end sees the same as my calcs (as in a shade over 300 on 95ron with a safe map)

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 16:53
I wonder if this kit would fit a 2gr mmm.

Moustachio
30-04-2012, 19:17
Yeah, even with severe fuel starvation its making 287hp at the fly (approx), so I imagine with the upgrades going on now, it'll be perfectly capable fo making 300hp.

Its only on 8psi too! (think it goes to 11... err I mean 14 or there abouts assuming your engine can take it!)

Tigger, anything can be made to fit! But ffs, you can't be bored of a 2gr'd mk1 already!?!?!?!

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 20:30
Not bored as such with the power, only you can never have enough power and this is tb after all with great power comes great responsibility and better brakes plus good suspension.

It's about icing on the cake sort of thing better gearbox better suspension better brakes, when do you know it's enough to stop modifying it that's the question.

MRV6
30-04-2012, 21:24
I wonder if this kit would fit a 2gr mmm.

I think the scion unit would be at it's limit. Why would you want to know if it would fit a 2 gr? I thought you had a mk1???

rbuckingham
30-04-2012, 22:49
From when I was looking at info on the vortech website the charger capable of 20 psi, producing 700 cfm at an impeller speed of 60,000 rpm. I will one day finish getting mine bolted on my 1zz.

MRV6
30-04-2012, 22:55
Anyone know what cfm a 2gr consumes?

snowtigger
30-04-2012, 23:37
Anyone know what cfm a 2gr consumes?

Lots (what's cfm) and whos got a 2gr to find out?

MRV6
30-04-2012, 23:41

We can only dream Tiggs.

MRV6
30-04-2012, 23:42

CFM means Paula is a cnut

snowtigger
01-05-2012, 00:17
CFM means Paula is a cnut

Ah didn't know Paula sucked cfm then.

Paul Woods
01-05-2012, 06:49
Thought you all might be interested:

This is where I am with it so far (in a mk1) all work has been carried out by Rogue...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2012/04/357.jpg

It was running fine, although the intake air temps were just a little high (bearing in mind this car is a trackday car), so its now getting chargecooled.

Hopefully not long now til its done!

I have to say that is pretty awesome looking mate, hats off to Rogue there, that is pretty much how we first saw that fitting, either ahead of the front bank or in the Vee, fantastic stuff.

rbuckingham
01-05-2012, 07:53
Cfm stands for cubic feet per min

dgh938peg
01-05-2012, 08:19
From when I was looking at info on the vortech website the charger capable of 20 psi, producing 700 cfm at an impeller speed of 60,000 rpm. I will one day finish getting mine bolted on my 1zz.

AFAIK it's max boost is only 14psi (hardly seems worth it :D ) but shoving through an impressive 750cfm of air at 52000rpm. The TRD M62 Eaton unit is 395cfm @ 7psi with NO INTERCOOLING POSSIBLE. Which is why Moustachio's figures were no surprise to me. I look forward to his further testing on the CC to see what that thing can hit......

...... May even convince me to change to a CC also eventually.

Gouky
01-05-2012, 09:16
1200hp per kg of air per second is a good flow to power estimate when you don't have application specific numbers. it should give you a number that's attainable if you don't need to tweak with an over-rich mixture or pull back the timing too much.

so, 325-340hp = 270-285g/s and there's about 36.53 grams per cubic feet (making pressure and temperature assumptions) so 444-468CFM

and, if you want to hit the magic 400hp to the ground, you're looking at 468 at the flywheel which is 390g/s or 640CFM

but that's the easy part. you need fuel, spark and cam timing now.

dgh938peg
01-05-2012, 09:42
Thankfully i'll be happy at 300-fly Marc as i feel heads (though i have worked them) and cams will be the hold-back factor.

Moustachio
01-05-2012, 12:17
I look forward to his further testing on the CC to see what that thing can hit......

...... May even convince me to change to a CC also eventually.

I wanted to go intercooled rather than CC'd due to its simplicity and lightness etc, but there just wasn't anywhere decent on a mk1 for good air flow to put an intercooler...

Moustachio
09-06-2012, 12:30
tee hee, 330bhp. :)

graphs to follow soon.

Paul Woods
09-06-2012, 13:15
That's 2gr territory, very well done :thumbsup:

snowtigger
09-06-2012, 13:18
330bhp coolio now i wonder if the same formula could be used for the 2gr 100bhp more, if only i could get it to the new evora 440bhp.

good going cant wait for the graph, is there any more room for improvement or was that at max?

Moustachio
09-06-2012, 15:32
plenty left to go but the engine is on stock internals... probably not going to last very long ... going to have to source another 1mz and build it up ready for when the current one dies!

All credit has to go to Rogue though, I just sign the cheques!

dgh938peg
09-06-2012, 21:45
330..... Fantastic! That's bang on the figures i worked out... :thumbsup:

*takes the kick up the pants and will now crack on*