PDA

View Full Version : Standard battery for V6

antnkel
17-01-2010, 23:39
The battery I have currently is for the 2L n/a just wondering if it makes any difference with having the v6, just after having the conversion the battery went and I replaced with another the same and to be honest it just doesn't seem to fire up the same as when I had the tubby engine in.
Does this really matter or is it just me.

snowtigger
18-01-2010, 00:04
This a good question you need a battery that is the same physical dimensions as a normal fitment to an mr2 but with enough cranking power for a 3 litre v6.

Best bet is to find what battery cranked over the v6 as standard fitment to the camry.

Gouky
18-01-2010, 00:08
i haven't found any issues, i find the 3.5 actually cranks easier than the 2.0L did.

the MR2's have quite a long run from the battery to the starter. your problem might not be the battery, but the cables or the connections.

antnkel
18-01-2010, 00:35
Well like I said when it had the tubby engine in it seemed to crank pretty fast since the v6 has been in it's slower and a little inconsitant, don't get me wrong it's always started fine ( apart from when the old battery went ) it just takes a little longer and just doesn't sound quite right don't know if I'm just looking for things to be wrong though.
If it was a problem other than the battery I would of noticed it before the swap wouldn't of I ?

sketchy
18-01-2010, 05:57
also consider your compression ratio, an NA V6 will be higher than your tubby
and being a 6 not a 4, there are more compression strokes per rotation, gonna slow it down a little.

so its gonna sound difference anyway

aigochamaloh
18-01-2010, 06:47
Wondering about this as well, but the 1MZ cranks over just fine with the standard battery for the 4A. I am going to buy an Odyssey lightweight battery, and I hope it has enough juice to crank the engine over. It's only 300 CA at 32 degrees F, but the coldest it ever gets here is like 50.

Paul Woods
18-01-2010, 07:10
Ant your 1mz sounded like it was cranking nice and fast when it was here mate, we have never seen an issue with the 2ltr battery not being up to the job.

In some cases on Mk1 conversions where space is tight we fit a SMALLER, lower rated battery , code for that is 055 type, they are the little jap style batteries with small poles as fitted to nissan micras and the like. They too crank a 1mz over no problem at all.... so i don't see an issue unless you have a lazy starter motor or poor earth strap.

antnkel
18-01-2010, 15:23
It fires up alright, just sounded like it was struggling a bit and thought it could of been the battery but by the sounds of the replys I think it's probably just me.:doh:

snowtigger
18-01-2010, 17:32
Try your earth straps as I had problems a long time ago with an astra, bad starting lights flickering etc, loosen them of clean them stick them back on try it you never know.

antnkel
18-01-2010, 19:01
I'll have a look when I get it back just be on the safe side.:angel:

biteme
18-01-2010, 19:14
Halfords battery on mine - starts on the nose!