View Full Version : MKII MR2 developing tail wagging at highway speeds.

Gouky
18-12-2009, 14:04
my 2GR-FE MR2 is starting to give me a small issue. at 60-70mph if I'm not accelerating and not turning, the car starts to waive the rear around enough to feel quite concerned about. it honestly feels like i'm running a bit of toe-out on the rear, but the alignment rack says it isn't.

the only thing i can think of is worn suspension bushings from the 2GR-FE thrashing.

is this a common issue that anyone's heard about? is there an easy fix?

Paul Woods
18-12-2009, 14:21
The front tie rod bush on the rear is the one that usually suffers on a v6 over time with repeated thrashing, also check for freeplay in your shockers, we saw one car recently that had really worn the shock insert out to the point of being able to rock the suspension a good 4 or 5mm from front to back.

Gouky
18-12-2009, 14:45
i know i'm due for new shocks. i've been on the fence about which ones to get. i've bought TRD lowering springs and i just need an insert. any good suggestions? this car gets driven aggressively on the road but it isn't a race car. i save race duty for the '86

as for the front bushing, is there a good upgrade path or will a stock replacement last a good long time? (afterall, the current ones have 102k miles and 17years on them)

Paul Woods
18-12-2009, 15:12
We stick polybushes in the front ones sometimes, they do a great job, much better than the stock ones.

As for which shockers, i think that is probably a good question for JimSR who is our resident suspension guru.

Gouky
18-12-2009, 15:30
We stick polybushes in the front ones sometimes, they do a great job, much better than the stock ones.

As for which shockers, i think that is probably a good question for JimSR who is our resident suspension guru.

where can i buy those poly bushings?

Paul Woods
18-12-2009, 15:54
There's a complete rear kit here, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Mk2-SW20-Polybushes-Poly-Bushes-Rear-New_W0QQitemZ300377455310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45efe43ace

If you buy that and send it to the garage i will throw them into your gearbox crate :thumbsup:

Jim-SR
18-12-2009, 16:10
if you just want something fairly cheap and inserts then you can never go too far wrong with Konis. given that its a mk2 youre probably not running much more engine weight than stock, if at all. the 3S-GTE isnt a light engine by any means.

being a mk2 though it gives you plenty of other options. youve got some decent coilover options such as KW, Ohlins, Bilstein, etc. Konis are probably about $600 at a guess in the US, the other options are probably going to be $1500+, or less used.

if its just a road car then Konis will probably do the job though.

Gouky
18-12-2009, 16:34
Paul, i'll see if i can get those in the US first, but otherwise i'll get them sent to you.

if you just want something fairly cheap and inserts then you can never go too far wrong with Konis. given that its a mk2 youre probably not running much more engine weight than stock, if at all. the 3S-GTE isnt a light engine by any means.

being a mk2 though it gives you plenty of other options. youve got some decent coilover options such as KW, Ohlins, Bilstein, etc. Konis are probably about $600 at a guess in the US, the other options are probably going to be $1500+, or less used.

if its just a road car then Konis will probably do the job though.

I've actually lost 100lbs over the rear axle with the 2GR conversion, but some of that will be coming back with the supercharger. I'm really not looking for a coil-over for this car, i just can't justify it given what i do with the car.

I'll take a look around see what kind of deal i can get on the konis, Thanks for the tip.

hopefully this and the poly bushings will restore the ride to what it was before (i know it will be a bit harsher and i'm fine with that)

fredhoon
19-12-2009, 08:44
Have you tried Twosrus? The Koni Sport (adjustable) inserts are $350 a pair.

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_55&osCsid=081bd0c988d0c9340cd1c5d65aea8311

Tha also have poly bushes...
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_61&osCsid=081bd0c988d0c9340cd1c5d65aea8311

and other suspension realted gear (tie rod ends, ball joints etc.)
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_96&osCsid=081bd0c988d0c9340cd1c5d65aea8311
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_32&osCsid=081bd0c988d0c9340cd1c5d65aea8311

Jiff Lemon
20-12-2009, 13:50
I know its going to sound obvious, but you've checked everything is tight?

Had two MR2's display the same trait and both times, the bolt holding the lower arm in place wasn't tight.

Worth checking the obvious before spending that hard earned cash!

aussiemr2
20-12-2009, 14:11
Yea, I had the same issue, ended up being one of my rear lower ball joints was loose, tightened up the bolts and all was good, quite scary actually back end would kick out for no good reason

Gouky
20-12-2009, 15:10
I know its going to sound obvious, but you've checked everything is tight?

Had two MR2's display the same trait and both times, the bolt holding the lower arm in place wasn't tight.

Worth checking the obvious before spending that hard earned cash!

yeah, i've been under there with a wrench making sure everything was tight. but that doesn't mean the actual ball joints aren't worn out.

at this point it isn't really wasted money, the car needs new shocks anyways and the new springs are sitting here waiting to be installed. the poly bushings are debatable but the stock rubber pieces are probably quite worn by now.

rtech95
21-12-2009, 03:50
Hey,
I had same issues but only really notice on right hand sweepers or exit ramps.

The car will zigzag its rear end but not enough to spin out

I replaced everything but lower ball joint and i hear it may be a
collapsed ball joint on dr side . It will affect entire rear end ..

I am replacing all 4 ball joints and steering rack joints this week.

nikwills
21-12-2009, 08:44
I had a similar problem with my mk1 at about 70-80mph, I got rid of the mcpants stock anti roll bar and replaced it with the vastly superior mk2 turbo item + new bushes and mounting brackets.