View Full Version : Could i do a mk1.5?

Pekwah1
15-12-2009, 19:23
Hi Guys,

Well basicaly i've always liked the mk1 but have ended up with 3 mk2 mr2s instead.

The last one i had i've managed to plant into a tree which has proven quite fatal. I've still got the car now which actually still starts and drives, but the chassis is dead. Basically i've been toying with the idea of stripping it and building a mk1.5 instead.

I'm fairly mechanically minded, i've done an engine swap on a mk2 golf before, but obviously that's a lot easier, it bolted straight on and just had to do the wiring loom.

The major let down is that i cannot weld, at all. So would need someone to do the engine mount part, but i've got a complete mk2 tubby sat in my garage and it seems a waste not to do something with it!

Should i give it a go?

Cheers,
Andy

OriRacer
15-12-2009, 19:43
I think if you can get a good mk1 not a rotten round the arches then go for it.

If you start with a cheep rotten one, you could be throwing money at it for a long time.

I am sure you could talk someone into welding the mounts with the jig.

podge
17-12-2009, 10:25
do it! i did! you shouldnt have much of a problem with this swap aslong as you follow the guides. i know you cant weld but you can always get someone to do that part for you as it is only a small part of the swap. youve also got almost all the parts there and if you do get stuck theres alot of help here all the best with this podge

Shadeh
17-12-2009, 11:02
I would do it aswell mate. Plenty of help available round these parts, I'd love to help aswell but the mk1a I have spare is sadly a bit rotten but if you ever need any parts let me know as I am hopefully gonna start breaking it soon.

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 12:13
yeh still not sure.
I'm in two minds about doing it or just selling up what i've got and buying something else instead.

krussel
17-12-2009, 14:44
I think a lot depends on having time and a place to do the work. If you can take it on as a project and afford to take your time go for it! If you need the car on the road asap thats not so much fun.

Shadeh
17-12-2009, 15:23
That is also very true Krussel. Pekwah, if you have a daily driver to get you by that would also help, then you can spend the time on getting the conversion spot on. I'm pretty sure I bought some parts off you to get my conversion done a few months back (thanks).. whereabouts are you again? could see if there is some local help available too

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 15:32
Yeh i thought i recognised the name shadeh!
I have a daily drive so that's not a problem, the current issues are:
1. very small garage
2. garage has no light or electricity

i'm not too fussed about the time scale really other than the fact that my mates all have nice cars and we used to do regular track days which i'd like to get back into.
I just don't want to start another project that i'll never get finished

Shadeh
17-12-2009, 15:49
How small is the garage? I think just a plug extension can sort the electric like this http://tinyurl.com/ybaweex I know what you mean about starting something you don't think you can finish.. I'm currently a bit like that with my V6 project.. but it's happening, slowly but surely. I just have a driveway and no garage at all which is a real shitter so can only get work done on dry days, not that we have many now. In terms of the mk1 you will just need to find a good solid one, and if it has an engine in there, they aren't too much work to take out at all. An engine hoist would help, but a mk1 engine can come out pretty easy with 2 trolley jacks and axel stands etc. It's just the tubby engine is a lot more heavier/tricky to get in. Essentials are, your socket set and spanners, angle grinder, trolley jacks etc. If you can find a welding man, your onto a winner :thumbsup: I don't think I've really felt another car that shifts so nicely than a mk 1.5.. yet anyway :D

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 15:54
yeh i'm really keen on doing it. If the power issue was that simple then it would be ok, but i live in a block of flats and my garage is not exactly close by, so no chance of an extension cable unless it was about 100m long and ran all along the pavement past the other flats! Not sure they'd be too keen....

I would definitely invest in an engine crane if i was doing it. I've changed engines with a trolley jack before, but that was in a golf, quite easy when you can take the whole front end off and then just roll the car out the way! not quite as simply with the 2s.

Well i'm giving it some more thought, i've already got my turbo engine package advetised for sale, so if someone offers me a good price then i might sell and find a complete car, but i'm still considering my options....

Shadeh
17-12-2009, 16:12
Oh thats a bit a crap about the electric issue :( maybe add one of these on your Christmas list http://tinyurl.com/y88ejhf (generators are a bit more expensive mind). I think I've seen your engine up for sale too, but it is hard to get asking price, especially this time of year. Anyway have a think.. I have a feeling it will grow on you :)

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 16:14
yeh was thinking about a generator, but again as most work will be done at night/eve i don't want a group of pissed of neighbours bitching about a generator going away next to them!

Shadeh
17-12-2009, 16:19
heh, I excel at pissing off the neighbours.. especially as we live on a cul de sac.. oh well :D

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 21:04
well i think i've changed my mind again...
thinking more about it and i think i do want to do the conversion
gonna do a load more reading up on it but seems a shame to sell off all my bits when it's ripe for a mk1

adamh
17-12-2009, 22:58
what you will be best doing if you have no access to power is performing the fabrication part of the swap somewhere set up for work like that with mains power and room to work, you will struggle in a garage with no elecy that is small for all the work.

find somewhere and someone away from neighbours and possible noise pollution who is an experienced welder, and get the fabrication part done there.

then perhaps you can move it back to the garage once the engine is mounted and the exhaust is done. then using a small 650-850w MAX , gen , if its away from houses, will get you through with at a power source for a light and a grinder when you need. that is not all the time either, just during the winter months. in the summer it stays light late and you dont need much else apart from spanners and a gas soldering iron. or buy a couple of rechargeable lanterns.

what you find is as soon as you start work you'll need the john, i was 20 miles from home in my garage with no electric. but work was approximately 1.5 mile away (i remember crossing my legs and squeezing cheeks often lol ) you have to wait until the urge go's and then get in the car and fly to the nearest bog!. like clockwork it was!

if you want to do it , you'll find a way, many of us have endured the same.

Pekwah1
17-12-2009, 23:02
haha yeh!
Luckily i'll be about a 30 second walk from my flat, so toilet breaks won't be a massive problem for me!
As for the welding, i can't weld anywhere so i was always planning to take a jig and some engine mounts to a garage with the car and get them to do it.
I think a small generator is the best way forward, like you said, i'm sure i'll find a way!

adamh
17-12-2009, 23:08
i paid £70 for a 650w gen. sound proofed it, used a fan to draw in cool air , and a pipe to pipe away the nasty dangerous carbon monoxide, it was quiet as a mouse and it never over heated, and did me for a light over winter. here (http://www.mediafire.com/?zzxjgenjmnm)
and here (http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/hutchisonphotos/gen10.jpg)