PDA

View Full Version : BC Racing Coilovers

biteme
10-12-2009, 11:32
Anyone got any opinions on them? First hand experience?

I like the sound of them - but I'm thinking I might need to have the rear spring rate increased to cope with the extra weight of the 5VZ in the back...

Here's the info on the ones I'm thinking of. Thoughts anyone?

RM Series Inverted Coilover : Type MH
For Fast Road and Pro Circuit Use

Specifications
Front Coilovers : Inverted Shock - Camber Pillowball Top Mount.
Front Spring Rate : 5kg/mm (279.3lbs/in)
Rear Coilovers : Inverted Damper -Inc Pillowball Top Mount.
Rear Spring Rate : 8kg/mm (446.9lbs/in)

Information

The BC Racing RM series feature high quality damping adjustable monotube inverted dampers at the front or front and rear, depending on vehicle. The RM coilovers offer the majority of the features of the BR series but with the additional benefit of the inverted damper unit. Inverting the damper unit brings with it a number of advantages.

Unsprung weight is reduced by moving the oil and gas reservoir way from the hub and attaching it to the shell. Unsprung weight is vital to a cars performance as a lighter wheel and hub assembly which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip when tracking over an imperfect road.

wardie
10-12-2009, 13:12
whats the cost? and whats the standard spring rates of the mk2?

biteme
10-12-2009, 13:18
They're £849, and I don't know the stock rates!

Jim-SR
10-12-2009, 15:46
on paper they dont look an awful damper. for £850 youd certainly seem to be getting your moneys worth (they look a lot better than D2/F2/KSport/G4/etc), provided they last and dont wear out prematurely. youve also got the benefits of an inverted MacPherson insert arrangement. my main concerns would be with longevity, but thats something you wont know until someone tries a set on an MR2 for a couple of years. their reputation still seems to be ok amongst Evo owners, who are usually a pretty tough crowd to please, but the same did apply to D2/KSport originally until everyone started having issues with them further down the line.

if you end up buying a set il happily stick them on the damper dyno for you so you know exactly what youve got. i offered the same to Nik as he was buying a set for his mk1.5 but then he sold it and never did.

P.S. I dont think youll need to go stiffer on spring rate for a road car. id probably go softer!

biteme
10-12-2009, 15:51
I need compensation for the extra weight of the engine. I might think about keeping the rear as-is and seeing if they change the front to 250ish?

What would you recommend?

dgh938peg
10-12-2009, 16:46
Stuck a set of HSD HR Monotube coilovers on mine about 4 months ago (did the driftworks group buy) The build quality is excellent (comparing them to my D2's). Ride is a little stiffer than stock on the softest damping setting. Personally i think they're the best ive been on. (over stock, jdm black billies, koni's, D2 and HSD). £760 for a set i think.

BTW; HSD are rebranded as Buddy Club and Meister R :)

Garbe
10-12-2009, 16:57
I need compensation for the extra weight. What would you recommend?

A diet :thebird:

Diesel Meister
10-12-2009, 17:39
I realise that comparing an FWD saloon to an MR sports car is apples to oranges but FWIW, I had a kit that was 8kg front and 6kg rear. Far too stiff even allowing for the harshness of the damping. Naff all lateral grip in slippery conditions. Zero roll though lol The car was >1400kg with most of that at the front....

But I'd be interested in how you come out with these (and specifically whether they have a Mk1 variant with appropriate spring and damping properties).

Jim-SR
10-12-2009, 17:47
I need compensation for the extra weight of the engine. I might think about keeping the rear as-is and seeing if they change the front to 250ish?

What would you recommend?

id probably run about 250/350, if you like it on the stiff side then maybe 300/400 to 350/450.

they basically come with 275/450, id either drop the rear rate to 350, or up the front to 350. either way, id buy a set of 350 lb springs and (assuming the lengths are the same, they should be really) try all of the 3 possible combinations that creates (275/450, 275/350, and 350/450) and see that works best.

MRV6
10-12-2009, 20:22
Dunno if this is of any use to you mate but when I bought my tein superstreets off Stuart. I had him order a set of lighter sprung rears, because the car was lighter than a standard mk2. I can ask him what spring rates are available, should be alot cheaper than replacing your coilovers!!!

Diesel Meister
15-12-2009, 23:44
What spring rates might work on a 2GR Mk1? I'm assuming the car won;t be massively heavier than a 4AGZE powered Mk1, allowing for the SW20T box / diff / shafts etc. I would hope under 1200kgs, although the distribution is likely to be a bit different!

250/300? Lower? Not after a rock hard ride - pref the car to be compliant if possible as a calm ride = better drivability and thus potential speed on our crap surfaces imo.

This would be a while down the road for me though as I'm thinking about (a) the cost of the conversion work and (b) how long in view of (a) it would take to save up for some really special suspension... asssuming the stuff already on there (no idea what but clearly a bit stiff than factory) will do at all!

shinny
16-12-2009, 00:57
I've just stuck a set of normal BCs on my tubby - got the car back from the garage this evening. First impressions are good, although I'm comparing to the absolutely shot set of KSports that came off the car before hand. However for £545 + p&p I'm rather happy...

Koji
22-01-2010, 23:15
I ran these for over a year on my WRX but changed them out for a more gravel oriented suspension. They were a great handling improvement over just springs/struts. I'd run four different spring/strut combo's before trying these out so I'd consider my reference point fairly informed. If I wanted a street only car I would have kept them on but as it stands I want to be able to go up into the mountains and the dampers/springs just weren't meant for that sort of road.

They've got a good reputation in the Subaru community excepting a few batches of dampers blowing out three years ago. Later versions haven't had this happen so much as far as I'm aware. They're honestly a good value product.

I know a WRX isn't the best reference point for comparison but it's the only car I've used them on. They were good enough that I'm considering putting another set on my MKII.

Koji
22-01-2010, 23:22
I don't know if you guys have something similar across the pond but there's one seller of these in Florida that does a heavy volume and consequently doesn't have an issue swapping out springs of different rates for nominal (if any) cost. I've already had a couple conversations about this but I decided to hold off till I've finished a swap. I'd post a link but I'm not sure the etiquette of such a thing here (sorry, I'm new).

Jim-SR
23-01-2010, 19:39
theres a few stories floating around the various UK owners clubs about failed units now. ive not seen anything for myself, so i wont go too far with the criticisms as its just other peoples experiences. but it certainly looks like my initial fears are going to be confirmed over the next year. but you really do have to ask yourself how good the quality of an £800 set of adjustable coilovers can be. and monotubes at that!! (much more complex than old twin tube designs).

theres a reason why Koni inserts only are £500, without coilover casings, or springs, or top mounts.

but as of right now its probably a few dozen cases ive heard of out of a few hundred sets of dampers. time will tell if there are more problems. im not going to hold my breath, i think there are plenty more issues to follow yet, the same has happened with every other set of Taiwanese coilovers prior to these and that trend isnt likely to end anytime soon.

Koji
23-01-2010, 22:40
I completely agree. Koni inserts + springs + adjustable top-hats is the favorite setup I've ever owned on any of my cars. I was just trying to point out that if someone needs/wants cheap coilovers, I'd personally go BC before K-Sports or Megans as I have first hand experience that they're better performing and built than those two options.

Jim-SR
24-01-2010, 12:41
the damper valving also looks a lot better in the BC Racing coilovers than it does in the KSport/Megan/D2/G4/F2/etc options. by most accounts the performance of the BC Racing setup isnt too bad when they are brand new. still a little on the harsh side, but an improvement over the earlier Taiwanese manufactured product.

i still think that people put far too much stock in coilovers for road cars though. its totally unneccesary. you can get a "good" suspension drop (not good for performance, but for those who care about looks) from coilover sleeves (e.g. ground control), run spring rates more suited for the road, and run high quality insert dampers (e.g. Koni). coilovers only even come into play for track use, and still then most people running Koni + GC will outperform people running cheap coilovers. corner weighting isnt as important as some people will have you believe, especially not for a road car (damping is 10 times more important). most drivers would be hard pressed to notice the difference on a car with rubber bushes and soft'ish springs.

just as a comparison to illustrate my point about cheap coilovers - BC Racing coilovers for an Evo X are £650 for the normal struts, and £725 for inverted struts. Ohlins released their new Road and Track range at the end of last year, which offers basically the exact same basic features as the BC Racing kit (single adjustable, independant ride height and preload adjustment, camber adjustable top mounts, inverted macpherson strut, etc). the Ohlins setup costs over £2500!!

that isnt just because Ohlins slapped a premium on it for the name, and it isnt because they are produced in small numbers (they are very much still mass produced). its just because quality materials, accurate manufacture, and impeccable quality control costs that much money. hence my doubts about an £800 monotube setup. a KW twin tube setup still costs 60% more than that!

Torero
24-01-2010, 19:28
you can get a "good" suspension drop (not good for performance, but for those who care about looks) from coilover sleeves (e.g. ground control), run spring rates more suited for the road, and run high quality insert dampers (e.g. Koni). coilovers only even come into play for track use, and still then most people running Koni + GC will outperform people running cheap coilovers.

Jim, I was interested in the BCs as well but reading this I am reconsidering. I have a rev5 Mk2 with stock suspension and my intention is to go V6 at some point but I am no boy racer and it will not be used for track days either, what I want is strong responsive handling on the road and moreover, good damping when I change to 17" or 18" wheels.

Will the Koni damper inserts and lowering springs do the job for me??? There is a Koni "Sports Kit" advertised that does this for around £500. I'd appreciate your opinion.

Koji
24-01-2010, 22:29
Trying not to thread jack but this is a good discussion - does Ground Control even make sleeves for the MKII? I've been searching and it doesn't appear they do. If I could get height adjustable sleeves over some Koni inserts I'd be a happy guy.

Are there versions made for other models that are known to fit? I've come up with nothing thus far.

Jim-SR
25-01-2010, 12:42
Jim, I was interested in the BCs as well but reading this I am reconsidering. I have a rev5 Mk2 with stock suspension and my intention is to go V6 at some point but I am no boy racer and it will not be used for track days either, what I want is strong responsive handling on the road and moreover, good damping when I change to 17" or 18" wheels.

Will the Koni damper inserts and lowering springs do the job for me??? There is a Koni "Sports Kit" advertised that does this for around £500. I'd appreciate your opinion.

on the mk1 the Konis are probably the best sensibly priced option available at present. the mk2 however does have some additional options. youve got all sorts of kit available, with Koni and Bilstein both offering inserts, Ohlins, Bilstein, KW, Tein, etc all offering coilovers. £-for-£ the Koni's are probably still the best option. aside from the Ohlins, the other coilovers are no better in performance than Konis, they are just coilovers as well (KW's are 2-way adjustable, but the adjustment isnt amazing and its not really beneficial over single adjustable for most people). Ohlins have offered complete struts in both fixed platform and coilover versions, but they are tricky to get hold of nowadays and are mostly only available used. they are excellent dampers though if you can get a set in good condition.

for road use a set of Koni inserts and Eibach springs will probably give you what you are looking for for about £800. if you use the car on track then youll probably want to look at coilover sleeves, or possibly complete coilovers, but then youre looking at £1300+. generally look to avoid Asian brands though, European manufacturers tend to offer a much better product.

Trying not to thread jack but this is a good discussion - does Ground Control even make sleeves for the MKII? I've been searching and it doesn't appear they do. If I could get height adjustable sleeves over some Koni inserts I'd be a happy guy.

Are there versions made for other models that are known to fit? I've come up with nothing thus far.

i have no idea if anything else fits, but id bet if you get in touch with Ground Control theyd be able to tell you straight off. i cant imagine theyve never sold a set for a mk2, im quite surprised they dont offer anything off the shelf to be honest. i wouldnt be at all surprised if mk1 sleeves fit straight on, the struts are extremely similar in many ways, its just a question of body diameter really.

Torero
25-01-2010, 13:40
for road use a set of Koni inserts and Eibach springs will probably give you what you are looking for for about £800.

Thanks Jim, they are spot on for my budget. Are you aware of the "Koni Sport" packages being sold for £500? They are listed on eBay.

PaulM
25-01-2010, 14:34
Now I don't know what to get !

biteme
25-01-2010, 14:40
Now I don't know what to get !

The car driving first - then go for the suspension? :P

Jim-SR
25-01-2010, 18:11
Thanks Jim, they are spot on for my budget. Are you aware of the "Koni Sport" packages being sold for £500? They are listed on eBay.

ive got a Koni Sport setup on my mk1. usually its just a set of 4 inserts, plus a set of 4 springs. in some applications it is a complete strut, but i dont think thats the case for any of the MR2's (certainly not the mk1).

personally i think the Koni springs are way too soft initially and way too short. the car sits really low, and the progressive springs dont really support the car enough on initial movement. so under braking, turning into corners, the car moves too much before it takes a set. i also dont like how low it sits the car, especially at the rear which is lower than the front. it suffers badly from understeer in low speed corners, but is much better at higher speeds, where youre transferring the weight faster, because it takes a set more quickly.

however i dont know what the rates will be like on the mk2. Eibach generally get it close to spot-on with their rates for road use. i know of mk1 guys running the Koni + Eibach setup in the US even singing its praises for occasional auto-x use!!

so id probably get the Koni kit just because its cheaper than buying the inserts seperately, but sell the springs on eBay and get some Eibachs anyway. the springs are made by Lesjofors who are a highly reputable spring manufacturer from Sweden, and they are of a high quality. but the specified rates just dont meet my approval on the AW11 set.

PaulM
25-01-2010, 19:39
The car driving first - then go for the suspension? :P

:thebird: :boogie:

Torero
25-01-2010, 19:50
Great advice Jim and well explained. Many Thanks :thumbsup:

Apologies for leading the thread astray Johnny but this is excellent info :good:

DanH
11-09-2010, 12:55
What are people's thoughts on the Bilstein B6 Inserts with Tein springs? Apparently a common setup over on IMOC, with the Billies allegedly offering 'the best' fixed rate damper for the MK2?

Obviously it will be subjective and all boiling down to what the car is likely to be used for, but would like to hear some of you guys thoughts regardless.

Dan