PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Ultra Racing wing braces

Monkeyra
29-11-2009, 15:13
Has anyone on here fitted these? Fitted mine today, but not sure what to do with the top fixing mount! There is nothing to bolt to it... I could weld it, but I don't have a welder. I could bolt it, but the inner wing appears to be a hollow box section of some sort, so it's compress if I tightened up a long bolt on it.

OlberJ
29-11-2009, 15:27
Any pictures cheif?

AlunJ
29-11-2009, 15:30
I could bolt it, but the inner wing appears to be a hollow box section of some sort, so it's compress if I tightened up a long bolt on it.

It's supposed to be a brace to cut down on chassis flex, if it's not bolted to something fairly solid it won't be able to do it's job. And the wings of an MR2 are neither solid nor structural.

Monkeyra
29-11-2009, 16:04
Here ya go. From what I have read elsewhere, it might be a case of welding it, or drilling a hole in the wing to get some nuts inside.

MartG
29-11-2009, 18:46
Pop-rivet ?

Jim-SR
29-11-2009, 19:20
Pop-rivet ?

or riv-nuts.

those braces really dont strengthen anything at all. it bolts from one chassis rail straight to another where there is already plentiful amounts of rigidity. its just not an area of the car that will flex that much. the bolts holding it down will flex more than the chassis anyway.

Monkeyra
29-11-2009, 19:56
The rivnut looks an intresting idea, I'll bear that in mind for the future. I haven't come across anything yet though which looks like it'll give the kind of strength I'm after. I think welding at the local garage might be the best option.

sketchy
29-11-2009, 23:04
youd be surprised at the difference an extra gusset in there can make....and with a good strut brace it will tighten it up even more, though if you hit things it doesnt crumple anywhere as good as "Mr T" intended...lol

though I did that to one of my 2's for load bearing reasons as opposed to handling...

Monkeyra
30-11-2009, 06:46
My car is fully braced up (is also having a rollcage fitted soon) top and bottom, so it just leaves the sides to do :)
I've read all the reviews on them, some people think they make a difference, some don't. I'll make my own mind up on the matter, rather than listen to internet keyboard warriors who haven't tried them out :thumbsup:

Monkeyra
03-12-2009, 21:05
Purchased some rivnuts. I'll hopefully get this fitted over the weekend and will report back to see if it does the job or not. If not, I guess I'll have to get it welded.