View Full Version : 1mz-fe immobiliser problem

aladins78
10-11-2009, 17:20
Hey Guys

I've got my engine mounted and wired up, and it kinda lives, for about 3 seconds!

Now i think its the factory immobilser thats the problem, my engine came as boxes of bits, i have all the immobiliser parts, but i suspect that maybe its faulty or i have the wrong keys, is there any way or checking if it is that or another problem?

Thanks

Gavin

Paul Woods
10-11-2009, 17:30
If you have wired up the transponder correctly it is more likely that you have not connected up the COR holding wire or powered up the AFM.

aladins78
11-11-2009, 21:04
i'm 95% sure thats all ok, but i will double check at weekend.
is there anyway to check the immobiliser? as it does the same thing even if i have haven't got the key in the receiver ring.

Paul Woods
12-11-2009, 07:24
It will do, running for 3 seconds is the most common v6 swap non starting problem when people get it wrong somehow, that is because there are numerous things that can give the same symptom.These include...

Immobiliser not wired correctly
AFM not powered up (1mz)
AFM FC circuit not earthed (3vz)
COR not wired correctly
Fuel pump not connected or faulty pump
Massive air leak on the intake side

The list goes on.... there is a way to check the immobiliser but you have to wire in an OBD2 socket into the harness (something we do on all our 1mz swaps), then you have to use a very specific OBD2 scanner (we have the correct one, but only this one out of many scanners tried works on a 1mz).Then you can scan the ECU and it will report a faulty immobiliser signal if that is the case, mind you it will also report it as faulty if you haven't wired it up right or if you did not have the key attached to the receiver.... it just reports no signal, not the actual reason for no signal.

If you cross everything else off the list that is the only other way to test it, if you post up which wires you have joined on both the engine and the immobiliser i will double check your work and let you know if there is anything missing or a problem, that is the best i can do really.

aladins78
12-11-2009, 17:08
Ok well i've been and looked and the immobiliser is wired as follows

White/Red = Perm 12v
Black/Red = Ign 12v
White/Black = Neg Earth
Yellow/black = yellow black 4th ecu plug (was already connected when i got it)
Yellow = yellow on 4th ecu plug

blue/red, pink, green/white, red/blue, and blue all go to the receiver (again these were already shortened and connected when i got the engine)

AFM has 12v and earth. i assume on the right pins, will try check later.

fuel pump is pumping and we have about 2.8 bar pressure.

later i will check the cor,

Thanks very much for your help with this so far, its much appreciated.

Paul Woods
12-11-2009, 17:53
Are the two immobiliser wires going to pins 20 and 21? Or is it 21 and 22? can't remember off the top of my head, either way the wires are right beside each other on the plug from memory, but there is another yellow wire on that plug, it might be wired to that one by accident so check that.

aladins78
12-11-2009, 22:12
yep checked this evening and immobiliser wires go to 20 and 21.

checked injector signals with an LED and injectors fire about 2 - 3 times then stop,
sparks seem to continue for a second or so more.

checked COR wiring and fuel pump continues to run for about a second after engine dies.

Paul Woods
13-11-2009, 07:23
Try unplugging the transponder pick up receiver and plugging it back in a few times, occassionally we have seen some odd behaviour from the 1mz transponder and then it behaves perfectly forever after that.

aladins78
16-11-2009, 21:31
I Tried unplugging it a few times tonight, infact i tried unplugging everything several times just incase but no joy :(

Any other suggestions or shall i try a big hammer? :)

My immobiliser control box has a few unused pins in the plug, would any of these be for a status LED on some models and if so, does anyone know what pins?

Just thinking if it does then i'd know 100% its the immobiliser.

Paul Woods
17-11-2009, 06:48
No if you have exhausted everything you can try and you are 100% sure it is all wired correctly you need to wire in an OBD2 plug and have it scanned.If the immobiliser isn't working it will return a fault code for that.

cabbydave
17-11-2009, 09:59
Just a thought but we have had cars loose their code in the key when they have been in the workshop and we have had to reprogramme the keys if the car had the led wired it would tell you I may be barking up the wrong tree but is it worth a thought?

aladins78
25-11-2009, 23:11
I've got an OBD2 port to fit at weekend, and will see if i get any codes, but just had a thought, as my immobiliser and ECU have never worked together, do they need to be paired at all?
I know on some newer Toyota's when the ECU is replaced they have to be synced with the immobiliser ECU by earthing a pin on the ODB and leaving the Ign for a while, are these similar at all?

Paul Woods
26-11-2009, 06:11
The 1mz ECU and immobiliser are not the paired items.Your 1mz ignition key and the transponder ECU are the paired bits.... the ECU is universal and can be swapped from vehicle to vehicle.

aladins78
13-02-2010, 17:17
I've finally got to the car to wire up the odb socket, to find my first problem, my immobilser ecu has been for an extended swim >:(

Seems my boots been leaking and all my immobilser parts are soaked thru.

Does anyone have a spare immobilser ecu, key, and receiver?:question:

Or any idea's of a way round this?

aladins78
15-02-2010, 00:02
Anybody know from which if any other models i could get the immobiliser ECU? or does it have to be from a Camry ?

I've been told about a 98 Celica that i might be able to get the ECU, key and receiver from, but will it work, or are they totally different?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Gavin

smccullie
15-02-2010, 19:37
Just an idea but there used to be a bit on the toyota epc to cross reference part numbers, that would give you an idea on what models it's fitted to. Post the part number, someone is bound to have an epc that could help you

chargednutter
15-06-2010, 22:08
had same problem with my corrola, memory lost to my key, replaced the immobiliser ecu and key. took me a long time to find 1 tho got mine from bickford salvage jap breakers in aston birmingham if thats any help.