PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical problem on my mk 1.5

Shadeh
31-10-2009, 22:46
Hi guys, my 1.5 had a weird problem today. I left it parked up since after the track day at anglesey on the 18th of October as I used a run around from then. However a little before parking it up I noticed the battery voltage gauge was going lower, and figured my twin SPAL fans must be taking too much juice. I disconnected these and then drove back home from town and the gauge went back up and then I left it parked up. Yesterday I picked it up from mums and then earlier today I drove a total of about 5 miles and again noticed the voltage decreasing and was stopped at a red light when all the dash lights dimmed out and the car switched off and refused to start again. At this point I couldn't put my hazards on or anything so just made sure everything was switched off. I also opened the engine lid, my engine fan is also wired to be constantly on so I disconnected that as well. After a bit it started up and I managed to park it up properly before it died again, especially when I put the headlights up. At this point me and my mate were hungry so we went to the takeaway and waited for my brother to turn up with jump leads and by the time we were back from buying food, the car started up all normally again! I didn't even have to use the jump leads. Also there were no lights on the dash before the car died so it doesn't look like the alternator.. I am thinking bad earth maybe..? Am no sure so any help is appreciated, I have a rev 2 turbo engine in it by the way. Thanks!

GregHoon
31-10-2009, 23:51
Initially sounds like your battery is on the way out. But i'd say bad earth would be suspect number two. I'm no expert but i would test (together):
1) How well your battery can charge and hold charge.
2) How well the earth is grounded.

We'll see what other people think on this problem :)

aw11man
01-11-2009, 09:46
might sound stupid.... but make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight, you never know

GregHoon
01-11-2009, 12:53
That's a good point. They may oxidise.

hudster
01-11-2009, 18:39
think greg's spot on there...... he's no expert lol

GregHoon
01-11-2009, 18:43
think greg's spot on there...... he's no expert lol
Cheeky git :thebird:

robwsurf
01-11-2009, 19:03
i d check the current output from your alternator could be a diodes gone so it doesnt provide full charge anymore especially when at low revs thats what it sounds like to me.

if it is that is about £60 to get it reconed

Shadeh
01-11-2009, 21:07
Yeah, I only got back from work a bit ago so I think I'll leave the checking until tomorrow, I think it could either be the terminals being dirty or corroded or the alternator not giving as much charge. If it is the alt, I hope the spare one I have off my n/a mk2 engine will go on