View Full Version : Flat 4 turbo worth it?

Finalrights
09-10-2009, 02:16
Assuming it would fit(width is the challenge, there is a company that converts the transaxle to pretty damn short). Would the lower center of gravity be worth the effort? Traversly mounted, it wouldn't stick that far into the trunk.

Paul Woods
09-10-2009, 07:02
Probably not given how tunable the 3s-gte is and its relative easy fitment in comparison, everything pretty much just hooks up whereas that will need everything modifying to work.

It's a bit like my v8 mk1, built for noveltys sake only because 350bhp can be achieved easier going down the 3s route, but that is never why we do these things i guess.

Flat four turbo would be superb, just not sure it is worth the effort considering the alternatives.

Finalrights
09-10-2009, 08:29
Hmmm, what about an H6? The EG33 would be great in an MK1. They can be had for less then $1000usd.

dgh938peg
09-10-2009, 09:33
By flat 4 i guess you mean a scooby engine??

Aside the novelty value of a boxer sounding MR2 i think it would be pointless. Besides, why replace the notoriously strong 3sgte with the engine that has pistons made of golden syrup??

snowtigger
09-10-2009, 12:20
Novelty shite motor if I'm being brutal a lot of money will need throwing at it to work now a 3sgte in a fiat x19 that would be interesting.

pilotpete
09-10-2009, 13:00
Novelty shite motor if I'm being brutal a lot of money will need throwing at it to work now a 3sgte in a fiat x19 that would be interesting.

Had an X19 and fitted an Uno Turbo engine (chipped).....that went well !

AlunJ
09-10-2009, 13:35

Aside the novelty value of a boxer sounding MR2 i think it would be pointless. Besides, why replace the notoriously strong 3sgte with the engine that has pistons made of golden syrup??

Heh, our local racing guys eat scooby pistons for breakfast (and diffs every race) without any power increase on the engine, would hate to see what happened to them with a bit of tweaking. Also the nice noise disappears when you fit a decent set of even-length manifolds.

Now a rotary RX7 engine (or a quad rotor built from a pair of them).... that'd be spine-tingling and have a very low CoG with the engine centreline in line with the gearbox input shaft and surprisingly little engine weight ;)

dgh938peg
09-10-2009, 14:16
A guy had his scooby towed to SVA Imports (my local tuner) paid £4500 for the car a few weeks previous. Ran low on fuel, stopped at a services that only had 95ron then drove home 10 miles on it. In that distance blew holes in 2 pistons......

SVA bought the car off him for £1250...

mmmmm......... golden syrup pistons.........

Jim-SR
09-10-2009, 15:27
for what it would cost and the effort involved, the lower CofG could be offset in so many better ways. if you want a lower CofG for handling purposes then spend the money on proper dampers instead, youll find so much more performance there than you will from simply lowering CofG.

biteme
09-10-2009, 15:29
for what it would cost and the effort involved, the lower CofG could be offset in so many better ways. if you want a lower CofG for handling purposes then spend the money on proper dampers instead, youll find so much more performance there than you will from simply lowering CofG.

Get a carbon roof and lead line the floor - that'll move the CoG down :)

Paul Woods
09-10-2009, 17:30
Or just put you in it :)

wangan_x
11-10-2009, 09:09

ouch mates... my scoob has been through 1000+ launches and at least 100 HARD hours on the track with not but tires needing replacing, and it's running at just under 400bhp to the ground

I agree it'd be alot more money than worth your time though.

A guy had his scooby towed to SVA Imports (my local tuner) paid £4500 for the car a few weeks previous. Ran low on fuel, stopped at a services that only had 95ron then drove home 10 miles on it. In that distance blew holes in 2 pistons......

SVA bought the car off him for £1250...

mmmmm......... golden syrup pistons.........

That guy prolly drove like a tool, any car guy knows to stay out of boost when you are forced to run less than optimum octane

and FFS, a rotary? how can you say a flat 4 isn't reliable and then talk about a rotary :D

AlunJ
11-10-2009, 17:06
and FFS, a rotary? how can you say a flat 4 isn't reliable and then talk about a rotary :D

Because every scooby driver I've met that uses them for racing has blown pistons and rear differentials on a regular basis (when restricted by class regs to using stock engine and gearbox internals) - yet I've never met a rotary driver who's blown an engine while working under the same constraints. Sure, heard lots of stories about it, but never actually seen it happen or known of anyone who's had it happen.

Any engine can be blown up by putting in an incorrect grade of fuel - this is a fault of THE DRIVER, not of the engine or it's design. Trying to say otherwise is like complaining that a diesel truck won't run on the petrol you just filled it with ;)
Anyone driving a car knowing it has the incorrect rating fuel in it deserves whatever damage comes their way.

wangan_x
13-10-2009, 08:15
Because every scooby driver I've met that uses them for racing has blown pistons and rear differentials on a regular basis (when restricted by class regs to using stock engine and gearbox internals) - yet I've never met a rotary driver who's blown an engine while working under the same constraints. Sure, heard lots of stories about it, but never actually seen it happen or known of anyone who's had it happen.

Any engine can be blown up by putting in an incorrect grade of fuel - this is a fault of THE DRIVER, not of the engine or it's design. Trying to say otherwise is like complaining that a diesel truck won't run on the petrol you just filled it with ;)
Anyone driving a car knowing it has the incorrect rating fuel in it deserves whatever damage comes their way.

odd.... like i said mate my car has seen over 1000 drag passes(5700 rpm launches), a whole lot of hard track time, plenty of mountain runs and god knows how many street races. I am a hard driver, then again, I also do more often than regular maitenance.

Only issues I have run into, i had a bolt in the up pipe back out that was blocking a egt, that fried the wiring harness. LOL.