PDA

View Full Version : MK1.4 swap?

Gouky
07-10-2009, 02:48
i ran across a killer deal today at the yard picking up the last of the 2GR-FE parts. someone wrecked a car with Toyota's brand new motor. the 2AG-FE 2.5L I4. supposedly rated for 180HP, if it responds to headers the same way as the 2GR-FE did, it should be putting about 200HP to the ground.

I'll toss it in my MKI over the winter with the EB62 transmission that came with it (6-speed MK1, WOO)

Marc

aigochamaloh
07-10-2009, 04:01
I've never heard of this motor. Where did it come out from?

AlunJ
07-10-2009, 04:29
Haven't heard of this motor myself (nor have I been able to find any results for it on the search engines or my lists o' toyota engines). What's it out of? 2.4 inline 4 could be fun, assuming I don't get a 4.5 v6 at some point ;)

NZ84vvt
07-10-2009, 06:06
I must spend too much time searching
this is what I found hope it helps . :wink:

http://www.club-tc.com/forums/engine-performance/4566-new-toys-6-speed-manual-trans-2-5l-2ar-fe.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine

aigochamaloh
07-10-2009, 08:42
Damn, so this is the motor the new 6 speed 4 cyl camry's are coming with. Already one in the junkyard? Wow... I never see anything newer than 90s in the junkyards around here.

aigochamaloh
07-10-2009, 08:46
On another note, these 4 cyl engines are making about the same power that the 1MZ I'm about to drop into my MKI is making. Granted, it's a 2.5L, but still, technology has come a long way.

Going to have to figure out a way to up my hp as soon as I finish the swap. Maybe a 3MZ/1MZ hybrid with about 11:1 compression.

Gouky
07-10-2009, 11:37
yeah, exactly, it's out of a 2010 Camry and it's only been out for a few months. the motor barely has any miles on it.

and that's right it's got the brand new 6-speed EB62 transmission. originally i was just going to use an E153 behind it, but the bell housing looked different so i just took the transmission to go with it.

biteme
07-10-2009, 11:45
Oh my - you could be on to something there mate!!

Could even be nice for the Mk3 boys, over the 1MZ/2GR or even the turbo swaps they're doing...

Gouky
07-10-2009, 11:53
Oh my - you could be on to something there mate!!

Could even be nice for the Mk3 boys, over the 1MZ/2GR or even the turbo swaps they're doing...

yeah, the power to weight on this motor in a MKI is about the same as the 2GR in a MKII.

if it ends up working out well, i can send some over also with 2GR GBs. availability right now is very sparse but that will change in just a few months once winter rolls around.

biteme
07-10-2009, 11:57
yeah, the power to weight on this motor in a MKI is about the same as the 2GR in a MKII.

if it ends up working out well, i can send some over also with 2GR GBs. availability right now is very sparse but that will change in just a few months once winter rolls around.

On that ... I don't suppose you know the size of a 3UR, compared to a 1UZ? I know the 1UZ fits in the Supra, but I think the 3UR might be too wide...

Gouky
07-10-2009, 12:03
On that ... I don't suppose you know the size of a 3UR, compared to a 1UZ? I know the 1UZ fits in the Supra, but I think the 3UR might be too wide...

unfortunately i don't know anyone with a 1UZ. looking at this picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Lexus_CalSciCtr_1UZ-FE_V8_exhibit.jpg it looks like the pan on the 3UR is definitely deeper but i'm not sure if it is so much that it will be a problem.

you realize that the 1UZ puts out less power than the 2GR-FSE, right?

biteme
07-10-2009, 12:14
I do ... I won't ever do a 1UZ, but I know as a reference that there's been a few Supra V8's with that.

I would love a 5.7ltr V8 Supra.

Gouky
07-10-2009, 12:37
I do ... I won't ever do a 1UZ, but I know as a reference that there's been a few Supra V8's with that.

I would love a 5.7ltr V8 Supra.

while I do like Toyota's motors. if you want all out raw power perhaps a GM LS7 or a 8.4L V10 out of the viper? or man up and get BMW's M series 5.0L V10 motor.

I can hook you up with just about any motor you want. It's just money.

Swapping big motors in little cars is addictive, perhaps i need a support group :drool2:

biteme
07-10-2009, 12:41
I know mate - the Viper engine won't fit - a few have looked at it....

I'd love an LS7 lump, but that's $'s! - same for the V10's, I looked at them as well, but you're talking mega-money just for a lump.

I know first hand the BMW V10, decatted with a good map on it will produce just on 600bhp... mmm

nik
07-10-2009, 12:43
Swapping big motors in little cars is addictive, perhaps i need a support group :drool2:

its called TwoBrutal..:poke2:

biteme
07-10-2009, 12:49

I think he means the type that tell you not to do it ...

... that's IMOC :rlol:

Gouky
07-10-2009, 12:49
I know mate - the Viper engine won't fit - a few have looked at it....

I'd love an LS7 lump, but that's $'s! - same for the V10's, I looked at them as well, but you're talking mega-money just for a lump.

I know first hand the BMW V10, decatted with a good map on it will produce just on 600bhp... mmm

the LS7 can probably be had for under $10,000 the BMW is a little cheaper near $9,000. the viper engine has a large following and costs a bit more than it should at about $14,000

(these are all rough estimates, if you actualy want to buy one i'll have to make some calls and negotiating. i could probably get the price down)

yeah, i love this place :twisted:

biteme
07-10-2009, 12:55
If you can get me an LS7 for under $7000, I think I'm in! It'll have to be when the MR2 is completed and all tested/etc though.

Will it bolt to a V161, though? I can imagine a 7ltr V8, with no cats, on WOT would sound ... <INSERT REASONABLY FUNNY SIMILIE HERE>

Gouky
07-10-2009, 12:59
If you can get me an LS7 for under $7000, I think I'm in! It'll have to be when the MR2 is completed and all tested/etc though.

Will it bolt to a V161, though? I can imagine a 7ltr V8, with no cats, on WOT would sound ... <INSERT REASONABLY FUNNY SIMILIE HERE>

drop me a line when you're ready. i'll see what i can do :) the longer you wait, the lower the price will get.

it also depends if you want a low mileage motor and if you want all the ancillaries with it

biteme
07-10-2009, 13:10
Well, I'll have a Solaris ECU in the Supra - which can handle 16 low side driver outputs and 8 injection outputs, so as long as I got the engine, alternator, pumps and harness, I'd be fairly ok I think?

As you say, though, that's for a later date :)

Gouky
07-10-2009, 13:16
I can imagine a 7ltr V8, with no cats, on WOT would sound ... <INSERT REASONABLY FUNNY SIMILIE HERE>

I can imagine a 7ltr V8, with no cats, on WOT would sound like the 650 horsemen of the apocalypse are coming down on you.

there :drool2:

and i'll be damned if you guys don't take a class on how to offtopic a thread in the least time possible. it took you guys less than 10hrs to go offtopic, and it was only that long becuase you guys were sleeping on your side of the world when i posted it.

biteme
07-10-2009, 13:20
Post a thread when MRV6 is online... then you'll see Off-Topic in full motion. It's the only thing he does quickly :)

snowtigger
07-10-2009, 14:48
Have I missed the boat on this off topic thread if only we had a separate/different web address where no off topic conversation was allowed and you just got all the facts from builds to how too, do you think there would be a following for that Johnny or just nar sod it.

Gouky
07-10-2009, 14:56
no worries, I wasn't complaining. I was laughing at the situation. if this place was 100% tech it would be boring.

besides, it's not like this thread contained any actual information other than "OOO, NEAT, look what i got!"

I'll try to post pics of it tonight.

biteme
07-10-2009, 15:06
Have I missed the boat on this off topic thread if only we had a separate/different web address where no off topic conversation was allowed and you just got all the facts from builds to how too, do you think there would be a following for that Johnny or just nar sod it.

www.twobrutal.co.uk will be taking care of that - when I can get some time to populate the bastard! I'm on my own with most of the techie stuff :P

AlunJ
07-10-2009, 16:12
I must spend too much time searching
this is what I found hope it helps . :wink:

http://www.club-tc.com/forums/engine-performance/4566-new-toys-6-speed-manual-trans-2-5l-2ar-fe.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine

<cough>
That'll explain why I couldn't find it then, the engine code quoted was 2AG-FE not 2AR-FE :p

Gouky
07-10-2009, 17:30
<cough>
That'll explain why I couldn't find it then, the engine code quoted was 2AG-FE not 2AR-FE :p

woops, sorry. yeah the 2AR-FE is what i meant :)

aigochamaloh
07-10-2009, 19:43
Gouky, what would it cost to send a 2GR swap my way in California? That's if you are going to be doing this type of GB again later.

Gouky
07-10-2009, 20:58
Gouky, what would it cost to send a 2GR swap my way in California? That's if you are going to be doing this type of GB again later.

I will be doing another GB in the future. but for now I won't be entertaining the thought of sending them anywhere but woodsport. shipping motors individualy is expensive and I don't want to dwindle my local suply to nothing and be unable to send motors overseas where they genuinely cannot buy them.

people are wrecking 2GR cars every day. you should be able to get one no matter which part of the country you live in and certainly get it for cheaper than you'd get it from me.