PDA

View Full Version : Not good

Charged
01-10-2009, 12:54
Looks like they are trying to make things difficult for the home-swappers:

http://www.yell.com/motoring/blog/wave-goodbye-to-engine-transplants/

GregLeBon
01-10-2009, 13:03
Is this effective immediately / from now on....or does it apply to already-transplanted, historical swaps....?

Bastards.....spoil ALL the fun, don't they...?!?!?!?!:hand:

OlberJ
01-10-2009, 13:04
Saw this the other day on PH, the article is pish basically, guy reading between the lines.

It can only be a good thing if it means conversions have to be done to a certain standard though.

DVLA have been getting very tight lately with the info they require but have stopped short of asking for the inspection to be done.

It's only a matter of time though.

GregLeBon
01-10-2009, 13:11
FFS!

so having read this:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/IVA-Guide-version-30-Dec.pdf

...it seems that only us Mk3 owners are gonna be affected...???

("unless.......vehicle is more than 10 years old at time of application")

That means I'll be "applying" next year, sometime.........:twisted:

But looking at P.8 ("Basic IVA"), it looks like our cars are not in either of the first 3 categories: they're not "kit" cars, or "rebuilt" vehicles......I notice "imports" is there, but surely they already comply under manufacturer legislation...?

So, basically, its a replacement for the SVA test for kit-cars.......!?

Jim-SR
01-10-2009, 13:55
what a retard, he starts out saying its impossible to make engine swaps now. then says you can so long as you comply with the DVLA list, which is how its been forever anyway.

tripod23
01-10-2009, 13:59
iv just been on to dvla - you need to give them engine number of new or swapped engine with an independant report stating the job has been properly. job done.

Lee
01-10-2009, 18:43
It's a load of noise about nothing i reckon. The DVLA issued a list of things that people can do to ensure the conversion is sound. Most seem to have interpreted it as you must have everything.
10 minutes of a garages time to look at it, then on their headed paper, confirm the conversion is good. Sorted :)

Maybe it's a good thing, a lot of cars are stolen and traced through chassis numbers etc, but engines. Sometimes the most expensive piece just dissappears and is virtually untraceable.

grash2
01-10-2009, 20:00
exactly how it works in Greece, same rules, but only the first to be done will be a bitch, as then the car will get listed as a doable swap and then you can transplant the specific engine in the same model over and over again without the need to run arround seeking reports, but only get an inspection

Sanguinary
15-10-2009, 12:13
Has this affected anyone on here yet? I'm just about to re-register my 1.5. I have the engine number but since the build was completed by myself I don't have anyother documentaion.
I don't really know of any mechanics who would put their name to it :thumbsup:
Having said that, I live in Manchester so that's probably out anyway....

adamh
15-10-2009, 22:03
i was lucky and just sent off a log book with engine number and CC size, it came back altered, job done, that was in 06/7 although. we were lucky back then i guess. for what it's worth a drive to a notable mechanic , (if it's passed its m.o.t), would be well worth the trouble

sketchy
15-10-2009, 22:04
almost prefer our system sometimes...

we can swap pretty much anything...but the process is kinda like building a house.
talk to the engineer about what you wanna do, do swap and any other mods if its gonna be "safe" according to engineer. then take it to him upon completion of "upgrades" for an inspection.(where he basically gives it a WOF/MOT and a few other tests to ensure its once again safe to be on the road)

if its a pass it gets a LVVTI/certification plate.and thats it. (though the government charges us a flat fee of $380NZ or there abouts for the privaledge)then its just regular wof checks like ALL other cars. till your quest for more power shows up again...

Sanguinary
16-10-2009, 09:19
Cheers Adam. I did that with my first 1.5 at around the same time as you. I got the reg docs back no problems..... Then I smashed the car to pieces.
I've rebuilt the car into a much better shell and I have had it on the road this year already. I just haven't got round to changing the reg docs over (It is insured as a 1.5 though). It's been off the road for a while so I haven't bothered with it. However I need to use it as a daily for the time being so could do with going through the malarky of re-registering it...