PDA

View Full Version : New fuel filler mod!

Paul Woods
17-03-2005, 18:57
Ok chaps you saw this one first on twobrutal! i dont believe this has been done before but i might be wrong.Following my new left air vent mod for the filter i had to find a new home for the fuel filler point.

I am rather in love with AC cobras and i love the aston martin style fuel caps they use,big chrome jobs.....lovely! so after a full day of modifying madness i came up with this.......
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/03/3.jpg

LOL i do believe ive gone insane! isnt that what this place is all about? The cap ive used is from a triumph spitfire (i own a spitfire too,hence the inspiration!) another ebay bargain at ?11.....the rest of the day was making this fuel cap fit onto the filler pipe on the chassis....then welding a T piece at the top so that the overflow/breather pipe is still plumbed up...

http://twobrutal.co.uk/resizedpics/new_v6passengerventandfuelfiller011.jpg

Im chuffed to bits with it,what do you think? has anyone ever done this before to a mk1?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/03/4.jpg

podge
18-03-2005, 03:20
nice one paul v nice

nik
18-03-2005, 05:04
OMG :shock:
that is THE bolox matey..
excellent work, an inspiration to us all as always..!

Paul Woods
18-03-2005, 07:41
cheers chaps but looks like carl crawford beat me to it!
http://www.mk1mr2.20m.com/cgi-bin/i/pictures/Carl/10c-gas.jpg

adamh
20-03-2005, 16:35
thats a shiny mod there! your a diseased man! excellent! its weird that isnt it, you pull some creativity out of the air and find someone allready did it, still, theres no better feeling in the world than your own flawless engineering. thats gonna look awesome pulling up and filling it in the trunk! head turner.. not that necks arent allready going to be bent from the 9 inch rubbers!.
i'm going to jae to see this one!.

Paul Woods
20-03-2005, 16:42
ahem! 10" rubbers if you dont mind! :lol:

adamh
20-03-2005, 16:59
*chokes* :shock:

Paul Woods
11-07-2005, 18:24
right you know you are in trouble when you start modding your mods before the cars even finished! decided my spitfire chrome fuel filler cap needed improving....although its very sexy and looks the biz it doesnt lock and theres quite a few tramps live round here that id be worried if they mistook my filler cap for a urinal! :D so when i was at the local salvage auction last week i saw the fuel filler cap of my dreams! twas on a fiat coupe turbo,nice big ally affair with a lock on it and evryfin!

So took time out today to fit it instead,heres the new fitted with the old next to it....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/07/5.jpg

And the fiat coupe on its own...much better!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/07/6.jpg

this is pretty cool...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/07/7.jpg

So if anyone wants my old spitfire filler cap for ?10...half what i paid for it then shout now or forever hold your piece! For info i gave ?30 for the fiat coupe jobbie if anyones interested.

nik
11-07-2005, 18:26
youre right..it needs a lock..
looks grand mate..

djdna2000
11-07-2005, 18:28
Paul - I was also wondering what to do with the filler cap as I am gonna do the vent on that side too. I thought about putting it there, but then I thought about the fire hazard when filling up - hot engine bay plus spilt petrol could be bad :(

Paul Woods
11-07-2005, 18:35
that did worry me for a while dan,but then i thought about how many times ive actually sprayed petrol about in a suicidal arson fit when filling up....zero :D i get your point though,if you spill it on that side into the bay its only going to go onto the gearbox....i always take great care filling up on a conventional filler point anyway as i hate petrol on my paintwork...i guess the trick is to be careful.

Believe it or not our lord and master of all things 1.5 aka deno has made a left side vent too.....guess where his fuel filler point is???

Its in the engine bay itself! :shock: as i say a matter of how careful you want to be really.

lodgeman
11-07-2005, 23:12
just a question- how will you fill the car up with the roof down?

sorry if you didnt think of it!

Paul Woods
12-07-2005, 06:19
no,good question! luckily the roof misses the filler point when its down....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/06/31.jpg

More luck than judgement!

superchargedsam
12-07-2005, 10:21
I have a feeling Harry H has also moved his filler point but ton niether of these place and further away from the engine than it was already, but I could be wrong as it was in planning stage last time I saw the pics ! Nice mod though even if your not using the original filler hole as a vent as it would smooth the side out nicely by not having it there !

mong
12-07-2005, 12:48
:shock: :shock:

tasty tasty very very tasty ................. its very tasty!!!!!

tony

Paul Woods
12-07-2005, 17:58
tony someone really should monitor your sugar intake bud.. :D

arcataslacker
21-01-2008, 10:54
so, Ive been lurking for a while now and this only confirms what was on my mind the whole time, Paul Woods is amazingly insane. I would have never thought of that.

EDIT: that being a convertible duce. the filler cap was only the icing on the cake

OlberJ
21-01-2008, 11:38
Aye, definitely another on the to do list with the left hand side vent.

He's Irish, he's supposed to be mental. lol

Marksman
21-01-2008, 18:05
Har! Pauls insanity is carefully crafted and deviously executed. ;) :mrgreen:

...just like his tax return...

O.S.

TbarTurbo
21-01-2008, 19:20
Whoa hold on.... i just missed a convertable mk1 conversion?! Id be worried about spilling fuel in the bay too tbh...

OlberJ
21-01-2008, 20:43
Not just missed, it's sitting at Paul's, it's Lily.

Look in the 1UZFE forum.

Paul Woods
21-01-2008, 20:47
owen thats quite bizarre....i was sitting doing the old tax return tonight!! are you sure you havent got a hidden camera here somewhere???

yep lily is/was a project that pushed the boundaries in many ways,shame it looks like i will never get time to finish the damn thing but i did at least proove a v8 convertible mk1 could work.... ho hum back to reality!.

OlberJ
21-01-2008, 20:58
You'll finish it one day chief, even if it kills ya :mrgreen:

snowtigger
21-01-2008, 23:29
its not abandoned its just waiting for the world to catch up to wots a wonderfull car uwill uwill uwill uwill uwill uwill uwill go on go on go on go on feck arse feck arse feck arse fecking ijit dam must get over my father ted addiction look its a fantastic project and we are a bunch of selfish bastards monopoliseing your time and talents im sure a lot of us would not mind u takeing some time to get the old girl into shape all work and no play makes paul a sad boy.

OlberJ
21-01-2008, 23:57
Bring Back Lily Frdiays!!!!!!!!!

OlberJ
21-01-2008, 23:57
And Lily Fridays too lol

snowtigger
22-01-2008, 00:54
seconded let your second in command get on with the day today gear lily fridays are a must.

Paul Woods
22-01-2008, 07:05
im afraid i need to conceed defeat chaps and treat lily like a big experimental car that lots of mods get tried out on,the reality is i work all week on customers cars,i need to build a car for brutal ball which i do on saturday mornings (it was supposed to be a secret but half you fckrs know about it,bloody webcam) .There is simply too much to do in too many areas on her,but she has proved very useful for working out if a soft top mk1 works,and if power steering can be fitted and if a v8 can go in transversely while using mk1 suspension,all these things could not have been attempted without that car.... but i need to be real and admit it will never get finished unless i stop work on customers cars,and that keeps me in hobnobs,so ive no choice....

snowtigger
22-01-2008, 08:07
yes but unlike most prototypes one day it will be finished and u will have one of the most drooled over mk1s in the world i for one will have to bring a towel and bucket to mop up the drool.

Tony jinxy froude
29-01-2008, 21:01
Yep youve got to finish it Paul, Imagine if mr Mc vittie decided to hold on for a while inventing Hobnobs where would you be then ??.... got to be done mate, you cant leave it like that !!!, Jinxy