PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems

lastoneout
15-08-2009, 23:42
Hi I’m looking for a little help, over the last few days it has been quite wet and a couple of times I have gone to start the car and it has not started.

When you turn the key at first the lights come on on the dash but when you go to start the car they go out and it’s like someone has just disconnected the battery. When you go to jump the car it starts no problem and the battery gauge shows that there is plenty of life.

Anyone go ay ideas

Gary Symons
15-08-2009, 23:51
sounds to me like either your battery is dying or just low on charge.

biteme
15-08-2009, 23:55
Or a frigged battery terminal. Mine did that a couple of times.

Gary Symons
15-08-2009, 23:59
Or a frigged battery terminal. Mine did that a couple of times.

True, didnt think of that. Any corrosion on the terminals? if there is whip em off and file them clean

Garbe
16-08-2009, 20:23
As above, I'll go with the battery is shagged.

nikwills
17-08-2009, 08:34
I would check the earth leads from the gearbox to body shell and body shell to battery, clean up the surfaces the connectors sit on, the bolts/studs,nuts and terminal ends themselves. While you are at it you could also check the starter motor connections, and the battery fluid level......

Torero
17-08-2009, 09:26
the battery gauge shows that there is plenty of life.

Does the battery gauge show a good charge before you jump it or only after the assisted start? If it doesn't show it before then I agree with the others the fault is the battery.

It's also worth checking the battery terminals and earth as mentioned and the alternator and belt. It could be that the battery is holding a good charge but the system is not charging it fully.