View Full Version : restricted to 115mph?

sassy
09-08-2009, 20:45
hi! how do u de-restrict the 3sgte lump?
it is restricted to 115mph ish. :sad:
is it as easy as cutting or by-passing a wire?:hmm:
i've tried searching the forum thought it would be a common question.
all info apreciated

AlunJ
09-08-2009, 23:54
Take a gander at this one here
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=3116
Looks to be doable with a quick trim of a wire (if you dont' mind a check engine light), or maybe a zener diode between the clocks and ECU so it thinks it's doing a lower speed.
The zener idea seems workable, but I really need to get near a running 1.5 / mk2 turbo to probe out the voltage on that wire at different speeds to work out where best to clamp the voltage. Should have access to a running 1.5 in the next week or so, so will get onto it as soon as possible :)

Barronmr
10-08-2009, 11:43
Take a gander at this one here
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=3116
Looks to be doable with a quick trim of a wire (if you dont' mind a check engine light), or maybe a zener diode between the clocks and ECU so it thinks it's doing a lower speed.
The zener idea seems workable, but I really need to get near a running 1.5 / mk2 turbo to probe out the voltage on that wire at different speeds to work out where best to clamp the voltage. Should have access to a running 1.5 in the next week or so, so will get onto it as soon as possible :)

I think I read ages ago on the imoc that by the tricking the car into thinking its at low speed you can negatively affect the powersteering. From memory this is due to car adjusting the power steering strength based on speed detected, obviously not applicable on a mk1.

AlunJ
10-08-2009, 18:58
I think I read ages ago on the imoc that by the tricking the car into thinking its at low speed you can negatively affect the powersteering. From memory this is due to car adjusting the power steering strength based on speed detected, obviously not applicable on a mk1.

Yeah, I know about that bit. That's why clamp the speed signal just below the point where it trips the limiter. By the time the car is past 60 or so it's done all the speed-related adjustment that it's going to in terms of the power steering, so limiting the max voltage on that line to whatever it is at around 100mph should be ok even for the PAS etc if used on a mk2.

On a mk1 it doesn't matter what value ya use, but if I'm gonna buy a few bits for the testing I may as well get ones that'll solve the prob on a mk2 too without adversely affecting anything speed sensitive ;)