PDA

View Full Version : Wire soldering technique

Limeymk1
31-07-2009, 12:22
I've been doing a fair amount of in situ wire soldering in the last few weeks and have developed a handy technique for getting good solder penetration and a good joint, without the need for an extra pair of hands or 20 years experience.

It's pretty simple, I strip out some spare wire and get a pile of approx 2 inch strands. I pre knot these strands and slip 2 over the wire I'm soldering with the shrink wrap. Once I've pushed the 2 wires to be joined together so they interlock I slide the knotted strands over and tighten it so it keeps the joint tidy, no bits sticking out and it won't come apart whilst I've got the soldering iron on it.

Then I heat smear a bit of solder on the top of the join with the iron, then heat from the underside and feed solder from the top. The ends of the knotted strand can be trimmed down with a knife.

It seems to get a a consistently good result if being a bit fiddly to tie the wires, but I find it far less fiddly/annoying than trying to hold 2 bits of wire together whilst simultaneously heating and feeding in solder.

I'm sure others have used this but thought it may be of use to beginners.

cavegod
31-07-2009, 19:03
i just twist my wires together then heat with mini blow torch attachment for soldering iron and then just add solder.

Jiff Lemon
31-07-2009, 20:56
Best advice is the one we we're given at college.

"heat the job, not the rod"

BSM
31-07-2009, 21:11
A word of advice is don't add too much solder you'll have it creep up under the insulation. This will make the wire suseptible to breaking.

If you've ever wondered why house electrical wires are solid and all vehicle ones are strands it's to do with vibration and fracturing of the wires...

Houses don't normally move, unless your roof is over Johnny then his Byriani farts would move a dead body!

Keep your heat as short as poss your copper wire will become work hardened and brittle, add enough solder to hold the job properly but don't make a huge blob that will rub through the insulation later and cause a short.

Use a good quality heat shrink Maplin sell it, tape is ok but shrink makes for a water and moisture tight seal, if you've had the plugs off the back of your indicators you'll know what I mean when you see the "black" copper wires, thats what happens when they get wet. Try soldering that!!

HTH

BSM

jimi
01-08-2009, 12:35
This is the method I was taught many many moons ago when I was a apprentice:-

Strip the ends of both wires

Twist the end of each wire to ensure no loose strands

Tin each end making sure you don't allow the solder to creep back under the insulation.

Put the 2 tinned ends together and heat briefly with the iron, just enough to allow the solder to flow between the 2 tinned ends. No need to add extra solder.

Heat shrink the joint (remember to slip the piece of heat shrink on 1 wire BEFORE making the joint)

Limeymk1
01-08-2009, 13:46
Hmm I probably am adding a bit too much solder in some of them but when you've got your head in the engine bay and the damn wires won't stay together for love nor money it's the best I've come up with. :shifty:

The solder never goes up into the insulation so it can't be too
bad. :hmm:

stevehall
01-08-2009, 18:43
Make sure you have a 60Watt+ soldering iron, first time I tried to to car electrics with my 20W electronics iron I couldn't make any decent joints.

ukpaisley
01-08-2009, 19:44
I always tin the wires first then tin together.