PDA

View Full Version : Engine lid prop

MegatronUK
29-12-2005, 19:29
Was thinking about one of these... now an alternative to the twosrus gas strut has appeared on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4600702289&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What are peoples opinions? Might be a temporary fix for me until I get the catch sorted to hold the SC lid down.

jasper
29-12-2005, 19:56
I've got one John, but to be honest I can't remember if it's this or a twosrus one. I think it's brilliant, how many times do you pop the bay to add coolant, etc, lift the lid then forget that the bloody holding arm is on the opposite side. Being a short arse, I then have to let go and run round the other side. Different story with this little baby, flip the lid and with minimum pressure the lid comes up by itself. I've still got the original lid/catch fitted though so yours may flip open at speed....???

MegatronUK
29-12-2005, 20:12
Doh! now theres a thought!

"Hit the airbrake batman!" :lol:

superchargedsam
29-12-2005, 20:47
i have one of these fitted on my sc lid and its a godsend, cant see it allowing the lid to lift at speed ! I have an NA with an SC lid on and have put one of these on there as well but never driven it at speed to see if it lifts as its not on a catch at all at the moment !

MegatronUK
29-12-2005, 21:04
Yeah, thats exactly the same problem I've got at the moment Sam. The lid seems to be ok up to around 80-90mph, but I haven't gone any higher (mostly because it was running like a bag of spanners the last time I was out anywhere - ie before sorting the boost problem).

It's obviously not ideal though. The proper fix really, for me anywhere, is to move the catch on the SC lid along slightly, what I've though of doing is just riveting a rectangular piece of steel sheet to the area where the latch is, and then making another latch and mounting it further along on the steel sheet - i can't move the actual catch itself as the inlet manifold is in the way.

jasper
29-12-2005, 21:10
I just thought that if there's no catch at all then the air flow may make the lid lift. With mine, once popped, the slightest touch will allow the lid to open. But mine is held down by the normal catch when driving.

MegatronUK
29-12-2005, 21:23
S'pose it's a motivation to make me get off my ass and sort the catch really :D