PDA

View Full Version : DTA P8 Pro

Limeymk1
23-07-2009, 10:10
Well I've already got one (and have had it for a good few years) but getting round to wiring it up I've discovered there's only one cam sensor input on the damn thing, otherwise it ticks all the boxes for running my VVTi MZ.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/P8_PRO.htm

Question is how well will the engine run if I do use one cam sensor? I was thinking of sending a constant PWM signal to the VVTi and in effect 'lock' the cam in the best compromise advance.

I know it's not ideal and I'd probably be better off shelling out for an S80. With hindsight I should have held onto the cash until I was ready for an ECU but it seemed like a bargain at the time and I was assured it would do the job (fool and his money are soon parted :blush:).

Thoughts?

biteme
23-07-2009, 10:51
I don't think locking the cam to maximum will be a problem really. After all, it was designed to pull a 1.5ton Camry auto - and you're pulling a 1ton Mk1 manual.

it won't be as smooth, obviously, but I think you'll "get away" with it.

Link G4 (if it has the 1MZ VVTi decode) or Solaris would do it though lol

Andre
23-07-2009, 11:30
i had a dta ecu on my old eco-reck vectra they are a good unit i think you should be ok providing you get it setup right

biteme
23-07-2009, 11:49
i had a dta ecu on my old eco-reck vectra they are a good unit i think you should be ok providing you get it setup right

Yea, it'll run the basic management functions no issues missus - what he's worried about is the PWM output to drive the VVTi. It's only set for single VVTi.

I do still think locking the cam in the maximum lift position will be fine - after all, Rogue got away with it on a 2GR.

Limeymk1
23-07-2009, 12:54
Cool, cheers chaps, might stick with the P8, although I've seen an S80 for £700. :twisted:

I guess I could wire the 2 VVTi solenoids in paralel to overcome the single PWM output.

Just a wee bit worried about the one bank not being monitored via the second cam sensor, but then running one sensor would be akin to a V6 with a dizzy. :hmm:

snowtigger
23-07-2009, 12:55
Won't be as smooth with it locked but will run, I've heard on the grape vine that in the near future the link extreme with a firm ware upgrade will run the 2gr vvti.

BSM
23-07-2009, 16:00
Try EFI Sytems of the US they are the people who write the code and built the Evora ECU for Lotus. (2GR)