PDA

View Full Version : NA gearbox + 1mzfe

vinnny
07-07-2009, 01:57
Hi,

some of u may know, but those who dont, im planning to do a 1mzfe swap,

Now all along i have thought i just take the 3sge flywheel (which i have two of) and then elongate the holes so it will fit the 1mzfe driveshaft,

But after a bit of research i found the "caldina" way?

Just so i am not confused, is this way by changing the clutch on the gearbox rather then the flywheel on the engine?

Which way is prefered? (or cheaper) or safer? what is suggested? my car isnt gonna become a huge monster, just a standard 1mzfe, i doubt any mods will come after that (apart from suspension and track prep.

Thanks.

Paul Woods
07-07-2009, 07:06
Vinnny your post is very confusing mate, flywheels don't fit driveshafts also i don't know what "is this way by changing the clutch on the gearbox rather then the flywheel on the engine?" means?

If you are looking for advice on flywheels then your 3sge one is no good to you, you need to use a turbo clutch fitment type flywheel... so either a 1mz-fe fidanza flywheel or a drilled out Mk2 turbo one.

With both of the above you then use a mk2 turbo pressure plate and a 3sge friction plate.The caldina plate is just that little bit bigger diameter than the 3sge friction plate but it is not necessary, the normal 3sge plate will work fine.

To recap, you need...

3sgte flywheel drilled out OR 1mz-fe fidanza flywheel (no drilling)
3sgte pressure plate
3sge friction plate.

vinnny
07-07-2009, 08:22
.. right, im a confused boy.. it is only natural that anythign i say will be confusing to everyone including myself.

Is drilling out a 3sgte flywheel considered dangerous? Ive heard alot of stories about how flywheels disintegrate and pretty much turn into a shrapnel bomb. etc etc. i duno how true they are but still quite worrying.

tripod23
07-07-2009, 09:27
vinny im am also doing the 1mz motor swap now the following information is what iv learned and been advised about from all the good people on this forum .personally if i was you i would buy the fidanza flywheel - granted its more money to lay out but if you think about it its not that much in the grand scheme of things.

this is going to be my set up

1mzfe motor
fidanza flywheel [v6 camry ] ref no 130881
excedy pressure plate [ turbo ]
caldina friction plate [ non turbo ]
release bearing [ non turbo ]

just to recap something that paul woods mentioned, you can still use a non turbo friction plate if you want to - the caldina plate is only a little larger just making the most coverage of the flywheel / pressure plate surface like paul has said it only make it a little better. But if your like me going a little foward is better than going backwards [ but thats just me ] fcuk the money you you will only do this once in your lifetime i would imagine.

best of luck vinny the guys here are full of info and great advice listen to them and you wont go wrong........................

vinnny
07-07-2009, 09:35
haha thanks mate ive looked at alot of your threads, and infact most of my research is off your threads.. (i pretty much have had exactly the same questions)

i will see how my finances are when im puting the engine together; that will determine whether i get a turbo flywheel or a fidanza one.

Tripod do you have a build thread page? and which 1mzfe are u swapping? the older ones or newer ones?

tripod23
07-07-2009, 11:48
hi vinny my swap is coming from a 1997 camry with 84k miles on the clock and a full dealer service history ,runs very sweet with loads of power , i think when its in the mr2 it will be awesome and enough power for what im after......im looking for a smoother motor rather than whats in at the moment . having said that theres nothing wrong with what iv got now but after reading and asking around i personally do not think you can beat the v6 i absolutly love em.....i will be starting a build thread when i start my swap but thats not till setember due to work commitments and my other car which is a celica st182 which iv been doing a lot of work on the supension and the underside for ages now but thats nearly done hopefully. - but one thing leeds to another as you probably know - i will keep you updated vinny ......this next journey should be fun - my names simon so email me if you need to if i can help i will do my best...........but as i said before some of the guys on here have lots of great knowlege on these swaps it will be a learning process for me as well - but i do have good spanner skills so this should be a small bonus.....................im keep my fingers crossed

Paul Woods
07-07-2009, 18:09
Is drilling out a 3sgte flywheel considered dangerous?

No, i've drilled out over 40 of them all still perfect to this day.... totally safe.

vinnny
08-07-2009, 04:14
Is there any reason why you cant use the 3sge flywheel instead of the turbo one? imquite confused. do they have a different PCD or something? (i cant seem to find it on the web)

Paul Woods
08-07-2009, 07:02
The 3sge flywheel only accepts a 3sge clutch pressure plate, a turbo spec pressure plate won't fit it..... so the only way you can use a 3sge spec clutch is if you use something like an ACT 6 paddle clutch from a 5s-fe.

vinnny
08-07-2009, 07:23
wait i dont understand, why do i need to have a turbo spec pressure plate?

(i got a NA atm, not the e51 i think its the s54.. whatever came in the mr2.. if thats what the confusions about,)

sorry if this is a epic noob question, but just trying to be perfectly clear so i dont go and do somethign stupid.

Paul Woods
08-07-2009, 07:42
..... because if you use an NA pressure plate it will slip on hard launches

vinnny
08-07-2009, 14:23
that bad aye? will my clutch be just slipping all over the place if i prepare to track it?

oh yes, and if i use a turbo set up, wouldnt that put a lot more strain on the NA gearbox? has anyone done this to their NA gearbox? does deteriate the box (within say.. less then a year?)

Paul Woods
08-07-2009, 18:36
vinnny, 95% of all v6 conversions we do use the NA box/Turbo flywheel and hybrid turbo/na clutch.... none have problems and all last the distance, we even have supercharged v6's out there on NA gearboxes all doing fine.

If you use the complete NA clutch and flywheel set up expect the clutch to last less than 6 months of normal driving.

vinnny
09-07-2009, 01:19
alrite sold!! haha thanks for info.. time to add another 700 bux to my budget x.x.. before i was planning to just use a heavy duty NA clutch :( now its a turbo flywheel turbo pressure plate na friction plate and ball bearing.. buying those parts seperate cost a hella lot more then just a heavy duty NA clutch. oh well. *postpones swap*

Paul Woods
09-07-2009, 07:17
er.... using a heavy duty NA clutch will work absolutely fine, i only said the stock NA clutch won't hold.We have used the ACT 6 paddle 5s-fe clutch a fair few times before and that holds power great.So you don't have to go turbo flywheel if you use a heavy duty NA one.

knightrous
21-08-2009, 01:18
Just hijacking the tail end of Vinny's thread :P I'm looking at a Gen3 S54 gearbox, and the guy nearly wants as much for the shafts as he does for the gearbox. Are the Gen3 boxes different to the Gen2's? I just don't want to buy this gearbox then have a hard time getting shafts for it and I don't want to spend a stack on Gen3 shafts if I can pick up a cheap pair of AW11SC shafts to fit instead. Looking at 1MZFE + S54 (With 5th gear mod) so I'm trying to avoid a Gen1 S54 box :)