PDA

View Full Version : XS-Power Turbo kit - opinions

Photoshoot
03-07-2009, 11:35
Hey Guys....

Just food for thought... What do u reckon of the XS-Power turbo kit?

check it out - http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186

I know a lot of people here run a lot of their products (seen lots of the charge coolers etc).

It says it's good for 300whp (just my goal).

I mean for under £600 I don't think u can go wrong? I havn't read anything bad about them so far... I know they aren't gonna be the same quality as say a Garret turbo - but when ur on a little bit of a budget can u go wrong??

Any thoughts?

Charged
03-07-2009, 11:44
You get what you pay for mate. I wouldn't buy it!

TinyD
03-07-2009, 12:11
When your on abit of a budget you can go very wrong you buy cheap buy twice.

http://www.bblgroup.us/ssautochrome_files/image001.png

a very good saying

fast / reliable / cheap

you can only pick two of the above

GregHoon
03-07-2009, 12:34
Tiny D has a very valid point. With cars you can't compromise. You want it to last you 10,000's of miles and be reliable all the way. Motorway too!

The expense of having your engine out to fit the thing in the first place plus mapping or tuning, if you have to do it again to fix something that's broken it will more than outdo your savings on buying the cheaper kit. Plus how does the turbo perform in terms of lag etc. That's key. 300whp is a nice target to aim for but it you aren't getting the majority untill near the end of the rev range then the thing will be undriveable anyhow.

Johnny G is the man for info on turbo's :)

snowtigger
03-07-2009, 12:41
Be wary of cheap chinnese copys as well always buy from a reputable seller not a fly by night one, there has been a few turbos for sale on here have a look at that section mate.

biteme
03-07-2009, 12:46
I'd rather shave my arsehole with broken bottles mate!

snowtigger
03-07-2009, 12:54
The voice of the guru of turbos hath spoken and deemed it a bloody bit of hairy arse fodder good for you brother g how's the self flagalation comeing on.

Tim Higgott
03-07-2009, 15:13
Hey Guys....

Just food for thought... What do u reckon of the XS-Power turbo kit?

check it out - http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186

I know a lot of people here run a lot of their products (seen lots of the charge coolers etc).

It says it's good for 300whp (just my goal).

I mean for under £600 I don't think u can go wrong? I havn't read anything bad about them so far... I know they aren't gonna be the same quality as say a Garret turbo - but when ur on a little bit of a budget can u go wrong??

Any thoughts?

I forget what your running rev 1,2,3. What turbo do you have at the mo and whats your set up. Since i've been playing with mine i think there could be other mods to do.

Do you know BHP at the mo?

snowtigger
03-07-2009, 16:20
Is bhp a new member not seen him around on the forum.

I think he was running a rev1 converted to rev3 by those who shall not be named cough "roguuuue" cough some thing stuck in my throat, so 250/275 ish I'm expect he will be on later.

Photoshoot
03-07-2009, 16:23
It's a Rev 1 engine with the rev 3 upgrades... However the turbo is still a stock rev 1.

At the Japshow RR it made 240bhp at 12psi but apparantly it is running really rich!!

Photoshoot
03-07-2009, 16:28
Fanx snowtiger... u know me better than I do... The car should be making around 260 I reckon with better fuelling...

To be honest I do respect Johnny's advice - I don't really fancy shaving his hairy arse so I may steer clear of the kit. I'll just search for another Turbo, poss Supra?

Tim Higgott
03-07-2009, 16:46
My rev 3 is running really rich, 10 or 11 on my afr. Mk1's are not designed for turbo's. need to get more cold air in and hot air out. trying to get a part from germany at the mo and also someone else for more cold air in. Do you have a charge cooler? I have a ct20 turbo on mine and will be popping to santa pod in August to see what sort of times i'm now getting with the stuff i've had done. Don't think i would go bigger than a gt28, only reason is you then have to upgrade a shit load more. CT20 with charge cooler is great as there is hardly any lag.

If your running standard internals everyone has told me not to go over 320BHP.

Photoshoot
03-07-2009, 16:49
I'm running a CC also... Which car/engine rev is the CT20 off?? I'm just looking at a slightly bigger one than stock...

What have u done Since the Pod? I know u went to see Matt? at AFR?

Charged
03-07-2009, 16:56
Try and find a hybrid CT26.. I have this on mine and it is a good blower, you certainly know about it when it is on boost!

biteme
03-07-2009, 16:57
I'm running a CC also... Which car/engine rev is the CT20 off?? I'm just looking at a slightly bigger one than stock...

What have u done Since the Pod? I know u went to see Matt? at AFR?

GT2860R for something slightly bigger than stock :)

Tim Higgott
03-07-2009, 17:07
I was running 185BHP at Santa Pod and done a 14.68 Sec.

Custom made exhaust £520 inc VAT and Gizzmo boost controller running just under 11 PSI and it made 251 on the Dyno.
FCD fitted yesterday but was to hot to set up on the dyno but will turn it up to 18PSI.

Question for all, If you run standalone do you need an FCD?

biteme
03-07-2009, 20:41
I was running 185BHP at Santa Pod and done a 14.68 Sec.

Custom made exhaust £520 inc VAT and Gizzmo boost controller running just under 11 PSI and it made 251 on the Dyno.
FCD fitted yesterday but was to hot to set up on the dyno but will turn it up to 18PSI.

Question for all, If you run standalone do you need an FCD?

Nope ... you evidently don't listen to me :(

Tim Higgott
03-07-2009, 20:54
In all honesty i didn't know. I had booked it in before Japshow and if i had taken a step back the money that i am going to be spending on an FCD install Boost controller and install is going to be about £500 which is a third of what i would pay for stand alone.
You don't have to tell me how gutted i am and there is a bit more to the story but you already know that. Shit shit shit. I would have thrown the other £1000 at it.
I think the moral of the story is do it properly once.

biteme
03-07-2009, 23:03
In all honesty i didn't know. I had booked it in before Japshow and if i had taken a step back the money that i am going to be spending on an FCD install Boost controller and install is going to be about £500 which is a third of what i would pay for stand alone.
You don't have to tell me how gutted i am and there is a bit more to the story but you already know that. Shit shit shit. I would have thrown the other £1000 at it.
I think the moral of the story is do it properly once.

Well mate, any time you want to bend someone's ear ... fuck off and phone someone else.

wangan_x
04-07-2009, 03:34
super 60-1 was good for 350whp on my old one.

Tim Higgott
04-07-2009, 09:11
Well mate, any time you want to bend someone's ear ...

Thanks Johnny, your my hero:inlove:

I havent got your phone number cunt.