PDA

View Full Version : Overheating MK2 advice wanted desperately

Torero
29-06-2009, 22:28
I have just bought my MK2 donor for the 2GR-FE but I have a problem. It is a 90 [H] Import with 76k on the clock c/w EVERY MOT to support this since 1990, import docs and FSH. It checks out HPI clear with all owners and VIN/Chassis no's correct and the body is mint in a metallic dark green with 16" alloys at the correct offset. Bargain so what is the issue?

I bought it on Saturday after checking it from cold with no smoke on start up and it ran for 15 mins standing whilst I checked it and then took it for a test run, the temperature stayed normal throughout. I did the deal and when I got back to brothers[5 miles] it started spitting from the valve in the expansion bottle [a bit like a steam iron]. I was a little concerned so when I started the journey back to London from Swansea I put 2 litre bottles of water in the boot.

I reached Bridgend 25 miles away and the temp gauge started rising so I turned off and switched the engine off leaving the fans running. 20 minutes later I added around 1 litre of water and decide to go back 25 miles and not chance it. The journey back was fine, no temp rise but ended in the same spitting action, so after cooling I added more water but this time it took what seemed to be 2 litres to be full. Since then I have driven it 60 miles around Swansea and the spitting has stopped and the temp is normal. I stayed last night and took it to a family friend's garage, who said that it had a new radiator and there were no leaks and didn't feel that the thermostat was faulty as it can run without one in summer. He said that after I dropped it to him [a 15 minute run] he put it on the ramp and the fans started straight away when the engine should have been cold and feels that this is a head gasket issue. He is trustworthy but I have checked the oil when cold and hot on several occassions and there is no 'sludge' at all, in fact the oil looks clean but used. The previous owner confirms the new rad and an oil/filter change 1k ago but says that the head gasket is sound and has offered me my money back in full.

Can anyone help me on this? The car has only done 9k in the 3 years this guy has had it and had cobwebs on the wheel arches and boot when I viewed it which shows how little he uses it. Could it be caused by under use and the thermostat stuck but came to life after refilling, or is the fact that the fans are going crazy an indicator of something else. Please guys help me, I loved driving this car but if money has to be spent on a head gasket then the budget for the 2GR-fe is at risk. Feel free to ask more question.

John.

snowtigger
29-06-2009, 22:57
if your going to swop the engine i wouldnt worry, or are you using it as a daly driver?.

if a daily driver lay it up of the road buy a cheap seconhand car for the same price as a head gasket swop then flog it when you get your mk2 fitted with a 2gr.

it may just be a sticking thermostat did he do a smoke test in the expansion bottle to see if any exhaust gases where comming through the water? if yes then your head gaskets kerfuckled.

it may just be an air lock because of the new rad did they bleed the system properly?.

paul will probably be more helpfull than me.

i had the fan thermostat go on my alfa was a bloody pain in the arse the fans would run continously all the time over cooling the engine till i got it fixed

Torero
29-06-2009, 23:05
Cheers Tigger,

The previous owner did do a pressure test when the rad was fitted and bled it at 2 points but it may have had an airlock which occurred through under use and caused the pressure to blow water out of the expansion bottle - my thoughts and hopes.

And I agree with the fans but he didn't do a gas test.

Regards the car, my problem is getting it to WS for the conversion if it couldn't get there under it's own steam from Swansea. It take around 8 hours or so and cost a few hundred quid, enough to justify getting the engine rebuilt/replaced and reclaiming the value when sold on. Engine build or open back truck, either way it is a few hundred bucks to spend that would hurt the fund.

Barronmr
29-06-2009, 23:38
Sounds like headgasket failure to me. I bought one knowing the headgasket was gone, at first you could drive it for 150+ mile before overheating. With no mayo on the cap.

Gradually it became worse and worse until it simple consumed as much water as it did petrol :).

Lee
30-06-2009, 06:48
If you need to get it to Woodsport, get breakdown cover that gets you to wherever you choose your destination.
Set off and if it gives up, you arrive at Woodsport on the back of a lorry. Probably saving a tank full of fuel and paying half towards your cover in the process :)

Torero
30-06-2009, 09:08
Sounds like headgasket failure to me. I bought one knowing the headgasket was gone, at first you could drive it for 150+ mile before overheating. With no mayo on the cap.

Gradually it became worse and worse until it simple consumed as much water as it did petrol :).

I agree, sounds exactly like this issue. However, I wouldn't have bought it if it was the head gasket was dodgy as I needed transport for at least 6 months, otherwise I had plenty options open to me including a tubby near Durham that was driveable but needed engine work. Would have saved a cost on the gearbox and £200 on the asking price.

Set off and if it gives up, you arrive at Woodsport on the back of a lorry. Probably saving a tank full of fuel and paying half towards your cover in the process :)

Lee, I had already thought of that but I had also had in mind that with 76k recorded on the clock there was a good chance that this would be sold on and reduce the build cost. I was not relying on that but it would have been a bit of a bonus towards the tubby box or LSD upgrade. But I like your style :)

Torero
30-06-2009, 14:01
Any ideas why this would not be the thermostat?

As it drives at normal temp when water is in the tank I can assume that the water pump is fine.

Torero
02-07-2009, 14:19
Thanks Guys for the contact numbers. I spoke to Paff today who will look at the car if I need him to but he also suggested that the overheating is symptomatic of a faulty radiator cap. I have seen this on previous threads and appears feasible as the car had 76k recorded [every mot and service stamp since '91] and whilst the rad had been replaced, bled and pressure tested the cap has not been changed.

I'll give it a go.

Cheers Paff - another top bloke on TB.:respekt:

snowtigger
02-07-2009, 16:40
Good stuff pleased for you mate Owen and paff are good blokes like Paul glad you got the help you needed to fix your motor.

Torero
02-07-2009, 21:43
Good stuff pleased for you mate Owen and paff are good blokes like Paul glad you got the help you needed to fix your motor.

Couldn't agree more Tiggs, everyone on this forum seems sound and will go out of their way to help, quite unlike any site I've known before. An amazing community and I am chuffed to bits to be part of it.

Still, the overheating would not have been a problem if I could have the 2GR-FE fitted but I can't so I'll just go into the corner and self harm.

I still can't quite belive that I have every penny put aside for the engine, kit, decat downpipes, fidanza and RaceLogic TCU but the insurance is screwing me. GUTTED!!!
:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

snowtigger
02-07-2009, 23:35
you could always buy it store it for a year or two sell it on or finally get it fitted i bet once people start to see these 2gr conversions theres going to be a surge in demand for them.

i know as soon as i get mine i will want it fitted but i have to wait at least nine ish months before that can happen so i will have to be patient first.

my best hope is before my 41st birthday worst is santa pod japshow or jae next year.

Torero
03-07-2009, 09:09
you could always buy it store it for a year or two sell it on or finally get it fitted i bet once people start to see these 2gr conversions theres going to be a surge in demand for them.

i know as soon as i get mine i will want it fitted but i have to wait at least nine ish months before that can happen so i will have to be patient first.

I can do the 9 months wait as I will get an introductory NCB of 25-30% [I assume] after 10 months on a accelerated policy but I still can't get a decent insurance quote after that. Otherwise I would wait. Maybe the cost will come down when several 2GR-FEs are on the road, maybe I'll try again on the next GB.