PDA

View Full Version : Alarming

snowtigger
17-06-2009, 17:46
Just wondering what alarm do people fit to there mk1s as there is no factory one.

And what's the best one at the moment for a mk1.

Charged
17-06-2009, 17:50
At least half of the customers who phone us have a Toad Ai606 system fitted - Cat 1 and its costs 300 squids. This alarm must be popular for a reason!

Personally I cant stand alarms or immobilisers and would rather take the risk!

Tim Higgott
17-06-2009, 18:11
Cobra cat 1 but cant think of the model.

Paul Woods
17-06-2009, 18:20
Personally I cant stand alarms or immobilisers and would rather take the risk!

I'm with ollie on this one, they are a total pain in the arse especially when they start to go wrong..... install your own cut off switch somewhere under the dash, costs pence to do and the villains will have a harder time.With a "known make" of system most thieves will know where to look and what wires to join if they are determined enough... i used to bypass some systems during my Green flag employment in a matter of minutes, total waste of time some of them!

Tim Higgott
17-06-2009, 18:31
I'm with ya on the total pain in the arse drain your battery down and all alarms are a pain in the bollocks, however insurance premiums dont agree:shrug: It's the only reason i have one

BSM
17-06-2009, 21:02
I'm with Paul and Ollie here, if you have to have something use a CAT2 immobiliser, they are less likely to go pear shaped and as we know I can get round em in about an hour if needed at JAE :MRGREEN:
Best theft deterrent in my mind is a snap off steering wheel or a big fook off bike lock around the steering wheel and seat frame....

snowtigger
17-06-2009, 23:27
good idea there mr bsm sir as it happens i have a big fook off bike chain and lock only prob it's locked to my bike and the ground anchor, bollards good ide though keep em coming chaps.
heard a lot of people use those toad ai606 alarms.

AlunJ
18-06-2009, 01:30
I'd lean towards a removable wheel too, over an alarm. Even taking out the ECU so it can't drive doesn't always work.

Many years ago my dad had a car stolen from outside his work. They rolled up with a car transporter truck with half a dozen blokes in overalls, popped the locks, rolled it onto the truck and drove off. No-one even noticed anything odd was going on. Alarm and immobiliser didn't slow them down any.

I know someone else who many years ago owned one of the first skyline V-specs in the UK. The police thought the house was watched for days on that one, as there was a very narrow timeframe (about 30 minutes) for them to break into the house, steal the keys to the 4x4 in front of the garage, move the 4x4, steal the skyline, move the 4x4 back and put everything back as it was. By the time the theft was reported (about an hour and a half) the tracker had been disabled and it was gone - probably in a container in our local docks. Again alarm, immobiliser and tracker completely failed to do anything.

If they want it, they'll have it.
And (from experience) plod isn't particularly interested in helping you get it back.
Always struck me as an odd attitude taken by the law to car theft, if you broke into someones house and stole £10k in cash you'd be strung up, yet go out and steal a £30k car and people get a slap on the wrist.

GregHoon
18-06-2009, 03:27
An alarm isn't a device to stop your car from being stolen. Nor really is an immobiliser. Any vehicle can be stolen by a sufficiently divisive, forward thinking criminal. These devices are deterrents. On a given street with similar cars. An opportunistic criminal (which are the majority) would choose the vehicle that offers the least difficulty to steal and which would draw the least attention (i.e. not alarmed).
Also the majority of car crime you are trying to protecting yourself from isn't the car being stolen. It's the vehicle being damaged from criminals aiming to steal any valuables from the vehicle.
Personally, i leave no items in the car whatsoever and my glove box open so there is no doubt to any would-be-criminal that there is nothing of value left in it. The alarm sticker is plainly visible alongside the flashing led to alert people that the vehicles alarm is functioning.
If you do nothing you are inviting it!

semtexcow
18-06-2009, 16:07
ive just got an immobiliser now, the alarm died ages ago
do miss having the remote unlock the doors :)

if theives want it, they will have it or destory it
the mrs`s skoob was parked outside the bedroom window, crook lock, alarm/immobiliser
it was unlocked, alarm cut off, they tried to push start it and broke off the rear spoiler, when they couldnt get it going the bastards just cut ALL the wiring looms under the steering columb
due to the wiring damage it was written off, as the whole trim needed to come out and all the looms changed