PDA

View Full Version : my mr2 and wot i would like to do

howie
05-06-2009, 22:39
hi guys i picked up my mr2 about 9 months ago with the following spec,i love the car but have decided i want more speed i know that paul does the 1.5 and the v6 but wot i would really like to do is turbo charge my 1600 engine. i no this involves stripping the engine down and changing alot of the internals but was wondering how much it would cost and wot bhp i could expect
thanks

Very rare Eurosport Bodykit expertly fitted to car in 97, one of only a few in the UK.
All MOT's since 91
FTSH with 23 stamps in service book + all paperwork
Featured in 2 Magazines - MR2 Only
Practical Performance Car

10 Trophys awarded to car at various Jap car shows over the last 10yrs, the last being 'Best Modified Mk1 MR2' at JAE Aug 08.

New clutch fitted at 48000
New Cambelt fitted 79700
New Alternator + Belt fitted 79700
New Waxstat fitted at 80000
New Radiator and Coolant at 82600
Engine and Gear oil changed at 82600
New rear Calipars fitted at 83400
New front bumper frame fitted same time as bodykit

SPEC - ENGINE - HKS Manifold, Powerflow Stainless Steel
Exhaust System, HKS Air Filter,
Superchips ICON Engine Management System,
Red Vaccuum Pipes, Lazerline Alarm/Imob.
CHASSIS- 16" CEC 129 Alloys, Yokohama A520
215/40/16 Tyres, G Force Sport Front Discs
and Pads, Cusco Front and Rear Strut Braces
EXTERIOR- Eurosport Bodykit, Beesting Arial,
Debadged and Destriped, Clear Indicator
Lenses, Projector Lamps,
Supercharger Rear Lights.
INTERIOR- Light Grey Leather Seats with Blue Piping
+ Matching Door Inserts & Gear Gaiter,
Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob,
Foliatec Handbrake Handle,
Blue Carpeting in Boot.
ICE - Alpine CD/Tuner, Amp & Speakers.

AlunJ
05-06-2009, 23:25
wot bhp i could expect
thanks

Turbo'd 1600 (using the supercharger engine and running gear as a base) will see ya well over 200 bhp with ease. As an example A tuned SC engine makes around 210 at the fly, but by this point 40 bhp has been taken up in driving the SC for a net 210. Same airflow from a turbo would let all 250 get to the flywheel. Which is more than a 3sgte.

If you can source a 4agze and loom etc, you'd be well on your way to having everything you'd need. Space for a turbo is tiiiight beween firewall and the engine, so you might have to tinker with things a bit to make it fit. The advantage of going this route is the engine's already built for boost and comes with forged pistons. They don't need much upgrading :) Except the rod bolts. They want upgrading.

Gary Symons
06-06-2009, 00:03
:welcome:

We need pics :)

Are you looking at doing the work yourself for a project? If that is the case then turbo'ing the 4a could be a fun project.

I am pretty sure that the 3sgte transplant would be the easier and more powerfull option though. I built one and they are awesome.

Whatever you decide, its all good :thumbsup:

howie
06-06-2009, 06:35
having difficulty loading pics at mo but if you want to see it you can go to mr2mk1club.com go to forum click on club area meets section (north-west) then north-west monthly meet page 2. would like to know how much m.r woods would charge for doing work

Gary Symons
06-06-2009, 08:03
:thumbsup:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/06/44.jpg

Nige_B
06-06-2009, 09:26
Hi Howie, I'm the guy that came over for a chat in Lydiate. Really is a stunning car this one. I wouldn't like to comment on the engine choice as I haven't experienced any of them first hand. It definately need the power to go with the looks though :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
06-06-2009, 10:03
Ah stuart nolloths old car, that is one of the best right there.

Turbo'ing a 4age is not something i would want to get involved with in all honesty, i could do it but keeping those reliable is an issue without spending an absolute fortune.If i was to have a go i would start with a 4agze AFM driven engine and run a turbo on that.

biteme
06-06-2009, 10:36
Turbo choice for that would be a Rev 1/2 CT26 if you want to keep the costs right down - or a GT2860R if you want to spend a few hundred more.

Keep the cooling at the top of the list mate!

OlberJ
06-06-2009, 11:42
Crikey that's nice. :)

howie
06-06-2009, 12:55
first off thanks grsymons for sorting the picture out for us,and hi nige how is the work on yours going? just wondering paul you say keeping it reliable is an issue but would it still be if i had the engine stripped and built to accomadate the turbo also how much would i be looking at price wise to do this ta

Paul Woods
06-06-2009, 15:09
Howie the problem seems to be that many people have gone down this route before and failed... that is why we don't see very many these days because they usually don't last very long or the owner has an absolute fortune tied up in the building of that engine.

For me building a 4age to accept boost and maintain reliability costs thousands versus just buying a GZE engine to start with, then turbo that instead of the SC.

That is just my opinion but i think it's by far the most sensible cost effective route while retaining reliability.

hmmmmm
06-06-2009, 19:23
Ive never really got wy people want a charged 4age engine.. Even if you get it working and it remains that way youve got a engine that performs at the level of a stock 3sgte.. So wy not take a 3SGTE and have a reliable engine at half the cost?

Offcourse if the reason is; because i can!, that i can only applaude that :clap: If you can do this properly you've got a really unique ride.

Marksman
06-06-2009, 19:31
Don't forget for the boosted 4ag you've got the convenience of using stock engine and torque mounts, no fire wall to cut etc. If you prang it you can drop the whole setup into another shell easily. If you over boost it and the engine blows then bung in another 4a. Any 4a just with SC pistons would do...

That said it's not for me, but each to their own. The 4a is a lovely free revving engine so I can see the appeal.

Owen.

howie
06-06-2009, 20:19
thanks for all the input guys (much appreciated) will have a good think about this now before making my mind up!!!! iv,e got about 2 grand saved to do some sort of engine mod any ideas that would give me a decent amount of bhp increase then feel free to sugest ta

snowtigger
06-06-2009, 22:22
stick a 3sgte rev3 lump in there 2 grand should get you a rear clip and all the goodys and buy a good engine management ecu and your laughing 270ish bhp reliable power.

you may want to upgrade the brakes to gt4 fronts and turbo/corrado/mk3 rears wot ever you do as hey 4age power 136 er double it and weeedy brakes don't make good bedfellows.

AlunJ
07-06-2009, 02:57
Don't forget for the boosted 4ag you've got the convenience of using stock engine and torque mounts, no fire wall to cut etc. If you prang it you can drop the whole setup into another shell easily. If you over boost it and the engine blows then bung in another 4a. Any 4a just with SC pistons would do...

That said it's not for me, but each to their own. The 4a is a lovely free revving engine so I can see the appeal.

Owen.

This pretty much sums up my logic in doing it lol. Use a 4agze first time around, puts the cost of a freshened up replacment lump (late 4a NA engine with new SC pistons, gaskets etc) at around £700 should I ever turn it into a sumpfull of fragments. Had the SC loom not had an "accident" when removed from it's previous shell, I'd have used all of the stock ECU and AFM gear and had things running long ago lol. But it turned into more of a "what can I learn while I build this" type project and got a bit out of hand.

There's something about the high-revving 4a engine I just cant shake. I get a chance for a passenger spin in a v6 most days and as a result know roughly what my next project is gonna be (doing some stuff on the side for it at the moment), but I'm always gonna have a soft spot for the 1600s.

With a full SC bundle to start from I can see it being a good way of getting power if you really don't want to increase the engine size. I'm convinced (though I may be proven wrong) that a 4agze running a well cooled 14psi from a turbo will make more power than a 3sgte does in stock trim.

But for a 2 grand budget (if you're doing the work yourself), you could v6 it and throw on a dose of nitrous. Have a chat with Semtexcow, he's got a fair bit o' experience with the happy gas and might be able to calm any fears you've got of that particular method of doing things ;) V6 is awesome anyway (and massively overbuilt), V6 on nitrous would be unholy.