PDA

View Full Version : chargecooler woes

tallchap
26-04-2009, 23:09
So I have my chargecooler set up with celica cooler, rad and pump. Pump is at the bottom of the frunk, pipes run out bottom of frunk and pick up on std mk1 heater pipes for transfer to the rear, then ordinary heater hose to connect up to the cooler
I can get water all the way through and get all the air out, but the pump doesn't seem to be doing much. I've connected it up all ways, and changed the position of the pump in the circuit. It seems to be running very quietly and not as dramatically as it's size would suggest. If you disconnect a pipe at the rad it is producing some degree of pressure, but not much more than gravity would to tbh. Any ideas? Am I expecting it to do more than it's supposed to?

welsha
26-04-2009, 23:18
celica pumps are monsters but many of them need rebuilt as the bearings go. Usually they make a fair old racket too but they flow something like a litre a second so if yours isn't, time for a rebuild

Lee
27-04-2009, 11:01
Where are you getting your 12V supply from?

tallchap
27-04-2009, 13:08
Lee

Straight off the battery via a switched relay, manually controlled. Car will be used for racing so don't need it triggered by boost pressure or temperature etc - it will need to be on all the time anyway!

tallchap
30-04-2009, 11:55
yep - as predicted by Welsha - the pump is fubarred - swapped it out, all working fine - thanks guys

welsha
30-04-2009, 13:54
good man, did you rebuild it with new bearings or just get another pump?

tallchap
30-04-2009, 15:37
got another pump - VAG item

T.I.M
30-04-2009, 17:51
tallchap, how much did you pay for your celica chargecooler? for everything and was it a pain to fit or ok?

tallchap
01-05-2009, 01:10
from memory about £250 and I got the cooler, the rad and the pump (although pump obv turned out to be no good) but in fairness I would have paid that for the cooler on its own.
Diff to fit? Mines an ST185 item on a Rev2 engine and it was a doddle. There's loads of guys on here who have done it. I used the Celica DV26 dump valve with it - just had to cut a bit off the turbo inlet side to accomodate it.
Mines a race car so I have alot more latitude for fitting things up ( ie I'm not worried about drilling through stuff and there's absolutely no trim on the car anywhere) I used the heater pipes for front to back transfer but it can be done with hard pipes or rubber pipes added on. Main hassle is fabbing up some way of fitting the rad at the front - that's prob 80% of the job actually.
Robwsurf is a guru on this subject and check out Gary's build thread.

T.I.M
09-05-2009, 16:40
from memory about £250 and I got the cooler, the rad and the pump (although pump obv turned out to be no good) but in fairness I would have paid that for the cooler on its own.
Diff to fit? Mines an ST185 item on a Rev2 engine and it was a doddle. There's loads of guys on here who have done it. I used the Celica DV26 dump valve with it - just had to cut a bit off the turbo inlet side to accomodate it.
Mines a race car so I have alot more latitude for fitting things up ( ie I'm not worried about drilling through stuff and there's absolutely no trim on the car anywhere) I used the heater pipes for front to back transfer but it can be done with hard pipes or rubber pipes added on. Main hassle is fabbing up some way of fitting the rad at the front - that's prob 80% of the job actually.
Robwsurf is a guru on this subject and check out Gary's build thread.

cheers mate, I'll def have a look at that build thread. my mate is selling his off his gt4 and it'll be going on my rev2 which is going to be mainly a track car, so no trim either.