View Full Version : Plasma cutter

markiii
09-04-2009, 16:41
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290308293392

what do we reckon chaps, worth a punt?

hmmmmm
09-04-2009, 22:00
I believe Paul had one of those a while back, he thought it was pretty good as far as i can remember.

Marksman
09-04-2009, 23:32
Something similar used at SWAT and we love it. Try cutting curves with an angle grinder again and it's easy to see how complacent one of these makes you! Ours doesn't like painted metal so cutting out bodywork can be a pain but for new unpainted mild steel it's a godsend. I think ours is a 50 not a 40 so a bit more oomph, but it was cheap and Chinese and still perfectly serviceable.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

PaulM
09-04-2009, 23:46
Got a 40 amp and it does 5mm at 25 amp, so its got plenty of juice, look for a german as there go for a little less than these guys.

If you need any spares let me know, as I bought a bulk lot from china.

Gets my vote for best tool of 2009 - ( gordon brown not allowed to enter for obvious reasons)

OlberJ
10-04-2009, 00:05
Plasma cutter spares? lol

What on earthy would you need them for? :hidesbehi

David Sleith
10-04-2009, 09:36
I just bought a Hypertherm 45 and you can cut 10mm mild steel like a hot knife thru butter. Takes a bit of current though. Had to upgrade the power supply and fit a 32amp socket and type D motor start MCB to allow for the arc stretch current.

Def a nice toy to have in the garage. Although I have mine behind the sofa for safe keeping!!!

PaulM
10-04-2009, 16:02
The torch bit uses spares, tips,cups and the ceramic outer. :rasp:

OlberJ
10-04-2009, 20:14
The torch bit uses spares, tips,cups and the ceramic outer. :rasp:

Sorry chief, it was sarcasm. I'm renowned for trying to use the plasma cutter without the air line :whistle:

PaulM
10-04-2009, 21:51
lol , that makes two of us then !

OlberJ
10-04-2009, 22:57
"Pzzzzzzzt.....what the?"

"Ahhhh fuck"

lol

Paff
13-04-2009, 08:44
I've done that once or twice as well, however thats not usually what eats the tips it just sends the cutter into a safety shutoff mode for a bit.

markiii
30-04-2009, 19:14
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290312391892

well I bought one, any tips on assembly and operation for a complete numbty

the instructions don;t seem to cover any of that just very badly translated health and safety stuff

markiii
30-04-2009, 19:28
another numpty question

do I need a welders mask for a plasma cutter?

OlberJ
30-04-2009, 19:41
Well we don't use one. Not sure if it's strictly recommended but it doesn't seem as intense as the welding arc.

Goggles are a good idea at least though as the sparks do tend to fly.

markiii
30-04-2009, 19:42
marvelous

my compressor already has a regulator do I still need to connect the one on the Plasma cutter?

OlberJ
30-04-2009, 19:44
If you've got it too low you'll blow tips as soon as you try to use it.

Unregulated for me.

markiii
30-04-2009, 20:30
so what pressure do you run at?

OlberJ
30-04-2009, 20:39
No idea what the compressor runs at on full chat.

Mr Woods might know.

PaulM
30-04-2009, 21:14
I run my 40 amp unit between 40 and 60psi and wear a pair of goggles, tried using it without and I do get that start of arc eye after a couple of minutes. In fact mines pretty similar to yours inn the photo.

about 20 amps goes through anything up to 5mm no worries.

If you havent used it yet, start at an edge a move slow and smooth, then gradually speed up the movement. you'll know when your moving to fast , as you'll get the sparks coming back at you rather than going through the metal.

OlberJ
30-04-2009, 22:10
Little tip i found, is to support your cutting hand with your other hand and that elbow on something solid BUT remember to keep the supporting hand/arm well out the way of the hot bit.

David Sleith
30-04-2009, 22:22
Yes you do need a mask. Some of the cheaper auto darkening ones are not suitable for plasma cutting. Buy yourself a good mask and save your eyes. You only have one pair for life!!!

The arc should leave the bottom of the cut at about 45 degrees. More or less indicates either too fast or too slow torch travel.

My plasma runs at 90 psi on the compressor with a fine pressure adjustment on the plasma itself.

There is higher risk to the user of electrical shock so make sure you have earthed the workpiece correctly and don't get yourself between the torch and the earth clamp.

Try this link for some good videos

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Information_Center/Videos/index.jsp

markiii
20-06-2009, 17:34
chaps finally got round to giving this a try today or at least that was teh plan

got the air side up and running checkjed the regulator worked e.t.c connected the tools and thought right one last safety check before I fired it up

so I popped the fuse out to check it was the correct rating (proper EC certified moulded plug) and what do I find in my 13amp plug,

a fuse of the correct physical size but plain white with RO 37 30 Amp written on it.

not content with that it has a piece of bare copper soldered across the ends

now I 'm pretty sure thats both unsafe and arguably illegal to be sold that way.

and I'm certainly not going to use it that way, reading the atrocious manual the CUT 40 has a current draw of 22.1 Amps which isn't going to happen on 13 Amp plug either

any thoughts chaps, I'm, attempting to get clarification from mytoolstation

David Sleith
20-06-2009, 19:36
I have my plasma which will cut at 45 max, running on a 30 amp plug and type D (Motor start) mini circuit breaker. At full continuous rating its somewhere around the 30 amp mark so on full chat your 22.1 amps sounds about right.

Your gonna need a 30amp blue plug with at least a 4mm cable to run your plasma. You might get away with a 16amp plug if its only short bursts as the plug rating is for continuous use. I wouldn't go near a 13amp plug!!!

The high rating of the fuse is required due to the high currents required to strike the arc at the beginning of the cut.

You could try a 16 amp plug with 16amp type D CB and run it just shy of max setting.

A type D CB allows higher than normal initial start up currents you have with motor start ups while maintaining an appropriate continuous rating.

markiii
20-06-2009, 22:55
which makes me wonder why it has a 13 amp plug on it