PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler?

craig87
01-04-2009, 11:48
Guys,

Didnt know where to put this thread as i have a celica gen 5!!

Anyway its got a 1mzfe in atm and i do a lot of track days over they year!

Last weekend i did a track day and i noticed my oild temp getting up to 120 degrees a lot of the time quite easily which i would say is too high!

So how is the oil cooled on the 1mzfe?

Should i go for a front mounted air oil cooler??

Any help appreciated ;)

stevehall
01-04-2009, 12:02
I'm not sure if the 1mz is the same, but the 3VZ uses the engine coolant to lower the temp of the oil. You can see how it's plumbed in around the oil filter. Have a look around the oil filter and see if you can see any hoses etc, then follow them, either into the block or to a radiator.

craig87
01-04-2009, 12:05
ok i will have a look when im next under the car lol! I cant remember seeng a pipe near the oil filter though.

Has anyone added an oil cooler to there car?

biteme
01-04-2009, 13:04
Well, with yours being front engined, it'd be fairly easy to do.

I'd get a small Mocal cooler and place it just in front of your rad in the front bumper.

The Supra ladies usually put them to the side of the radiator, but I'm thinking there's more room there.

craig87
01-04-2009, 13:13
yeah there isnt a lot of room to the side of my rad but it may be doable.

So is the general concensus that you get a sandwich plate with a thermostat between the block and filter and wire the oil cooler to the sandwich plate?

So that the oil cooler becomes active at a certain degreee of temp (probably 80degrees)

Limeymk1
01-04-2009, 15:23
The oil filter on my MZ bolts direct to the block so there's no oil cooling, this is why I'm plumbing the oil system into the stock Mk1 oil cooler.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/04/4.jpg

craig87
01-04-2009, 20:24
have you drilled and tapped the sandwich plate limey for your temp sensor??

Im thinking of doing this with my temp sensor as the two threaded ports on the sandwich plate will be to and from the oil cooler.

Ok thats made my mind up then if it hasnt got a stock cooler im going to buy a little mocal one and mount infront of rad.

Limeymk1
01-04-2009, 23:49
have you drilled and tapped the sandwich plate limey for your temp sensor??

It came with all the sensor ports ready drilled and tapped, although it's proving to be a royal PITA finding adaptor bits to connect it to the MK1 cooler. :rant:

craig87
02-04-2009, 08:16
merlinmotorsport.co.uk mate give them a call they will make the adaptor parts for you ;)

craig87
23-04-2009, 19:23
right guys ive fitted my oil cooler but now im left with a problem! Where do i put my oil temp sensor?

Im thinking i might drill a hole in the sump to put the sensor but will it pick up the oil temp ok? Is there enough oil sitting in the sump whilst driving for it to pick up a temp?

Any of you guys had this on your 1mz?

craig87
23-04-2009, 21:34
any of you guys put a sensor in the sump then?!?! i really dont know where else to put this guys so any info is helpful!

Limeymk1
25-04-2009, 19:32
On my piccy, there's a plate held on with 2 studs and nuts, it may be worth investigating to see if it goes into the oil galleries. A flat plate with the right size nut welded to it may well do the job.

Only issue will be the proximity of the exhaust might give higher than true readings.

Can't see a problem with putting it in the sump though, I'd guess that the temps will prob be cooler than the true temp in the engine.