PDA

View Full Version : Potential swap?

Lee H
01-04-2009, 07:57
Right, picked up my mk1 at weekend and the bloody engine let go on the way home from picking it up (seems like fate).

Seriously considering doing the swap now as was originally going to wait till winter. Found a list of parts I need but I'd there a guide anywhere for wiring, intercooler location, what needs cutting to clear engine?

Also as I'm on a bit of a budget for now is there any brake upgrade that will fit under the standard 14's? (I know it's not the best idea)

Best place for a set of lowering springs as well as it's on stilts at the moment?

Any advice much appreciated.

Lee

robwsurf
01-04-2009, 08:37
look in the file store on here in the list on the left after you click on home that has all the instructions and diagrams and brake fitment info you ll need

i ve got koni s on mine bought from larkspeed went to expensive if your going to the trouble of changing springs might as well upgrade shocks especially if your lowering the car

good luck with the swap what engine you going for

Lee H
01-04-2009, 09:36
3s-gte. Thanks for the info.

Marksman
01-04-2009, 16:52
Hi Lee.

I think the ST165 brake callipers fit under the 14's but if you're considering an engine conversion they you really want some wider rubber under there than 185's. A set of standard MK3 wheels would allow 195's on the front, 205's on the back and probably set you back £100 with some OK tyres. They would also accommodate the ST185 single pot callipers...

Have a browse around, there's a full wiring guide and heaps of different ways of doing bits on these projects. Plenty of info in the individual swap sections. If you get stuck then just ask, we're all happy to help :thumbsup:

We can help you out with springs if you like. clicky (http://www.swatmotorsport.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=c72aeed3c59ee14c5355298c582f6667) I'll chuck you £10 off the price if you upgrade to a full TB member. Which costs £10, so really free membership to the club if you buy a set of springs! I run these on my own MK1 and like them a lot.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

nikwills
01-04-2009, 18:13
You don't say which 14" wheels but nothing bigger will fit under the std mk1a triangle wheels, I have st165 brakes on the front and the later pepperpot mk1b wheel just fits - I have one as a spare that Nik gave me....but the the mk3 wheels are my fave on the mk1, strangely a second hand set I bought recently have 195's all round, f1 eagles I think and I prefer them to the 195/205 set up

Gary.H
02-04-2009, 14:24
Lee if you are after Mk1b teardrop wheels I have a set of four going cheap.