PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a AW11 with a 3VZ-FE street legal in CA ?

SpeedyCorky
10-03-2009, 22:20
well... can you?

yes i've done a search...

i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the Kalifornia Nazis will not allow such fun to be legal...

BSM
10-03-2009, 22:26
Nothing to stop you getting a California spec camry and swapping all the gubbins over, will be harder than a normal swap but not out of the question.

Paul Woods
11-03-2009, 07:18
I concur.... although from what i've heard the regs out there are really harsh,i heard one car got rejected because it had a 90 degree pipe on the exhaust where the camry has a straight section!!! not sure how true that is,but if it is then it makes building a CA friendly car a total nightmare.

Personally id move :)

biteme
11-03-2009, 09:28
It's also the CARB specification too that's meant to be a right git to get right.

I think it'll be advisable to check the US boards, as I know there's a chap on MR2.com who's made a 3VZ-FE in a California legal spec, but it's a Mk2.

It'll certainly be a pointer in the right direction, though
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-v6/Toyota-MR2-39187-my-3vz-swap-california-legal.html

Jim-SR
11-03-2009, 10:52
California-legal cars are probably the hardest to acheive in the world, their regulations are insane. its not just cars either, theyve got some wacky laws on just about everything environmental (yet LA still has air quality comparable to Beijing!!)

no reason why it cant be done though, as has been said. just make sure that you buy a California-legal donor car, and transfer ALL of the emissions systems (like EGR, etc) because they are part of a visual check as well as an engine emissions check. youll be able to find out more detail about the laws through living there than we probably can though. in the UK we get an incredibly easy ride compared to most other countries in the EU

i have a friend in California who owns a Lotus Espirit V8 Turbo. its pretty much always broken, but it tends to be running for about 4-10 weeks of the year. and every year (or 2, cant remember the frequency of the test) it has to get its emission checks done, and literally every time it does it fails and requires 2 new catalytic converters (or at least has everytime ive been over there lol). its not exactly standard mind, but its still insane. in the UK it would pass with flying colours, in the other 51 US states it probably would as well.