PDA

View Full Version : Wiring adaptor thingy.

Marksman
15-12-2005, 21:09
Hi folks.

This isn't something I've looked into properly yet but I'm considering cannibalising a loom to make a plug 'n' play wiring adaptor for the N1 plug connections rather than cutting into the loom itself.

(1) Can be made up ahead of schedule reducing swap time.
(2) Can be unplugged if required.
(3) Er, looks professional.
(4) Easy to copy for future swappers.

Good idea, or stupid waste of time?

Cheers,

Owen.

Shugsta
15-12-2005, 21:35
I can't confess to understanding the detail of the wiring in the 3S or the V6 but in principle this sounds like a nice solution :righton:. I read earlier that Paul was going to heavily document wiring Ohms' conversion. May be something you could collaborate on :-k.

Paul Woods
16-12-2005, 07:16
ah,its a good idea in principle owen [ piss on chips mode on ] but theres a few problems,some of the connections come from a few of the plugs that go to the mk2 fusebox,some from the 3rd ecu connector,some from the COR,so you would need female versions of the plugs that are male unless you used universal molex connectors.Another problem i can see is the charging circuit also needs wiring up,but some of us relocate this to the GT4 position meaning a custom harness gets made up anyway.Another problem and i think the biggest is wiring changes across the revisions,both on mk1 and mk2,i cant imagine being able to design a plug n play harness that worked on every single combo of revision mk1 and mk2.....its a nightmare! plus there might be liability issues if you supplied one of these looms to a swapper who just blindly fits it and turns the key...if he fried his ecu or something....well you know!

Ive often thought this would be a good idea but its just frought with too many variables in toyotas pin outs,they usually keep the wiring colour the same but change its pin position just to be awkward!!!

The way its usually done at the N1 connector means our harnesses are unpluggable anyway as we take 6 inches off the N1 harness on the 4a-ge side to make our connections at.....oh just forgot the M2 conector,that would need putting onto your loom too....see! nightmare!

To be honest its a case of each swapper sitting down and studying the diagrams so he/she knows how everything works,this will only benefit them in the future if there was a problem,to this day ive got the mk1 and mk2 diagrams imprinted on my brain,cant help it i studied them that hard!

I think my past effort at explaining the connections,although helpful,doesnt really explain it in a hands on manner....you are faced with bundles of wires and my tables/diagrams dont make as much sense as they should.So with this new 1.5 swap looming (excuse the pun,marks out of ten jasper?) i intend to do an idiots guide to the wiring,every wire pic'd,labelled and destination pic'd labelled.

Cracking idea though owen,one id love to see done but for the reasons above i cant see it happening,oh and just to be a total party pooper the rev 3's are different again.

If you do decide to give it a try im right behind you though and will help wherever i can,its well dodgy though with the differing pin outs.

jasper
16-12-2005, 10:44
I'd give you a 10 Paul. Twas something I'd probably say..

Marksman
16-12-2005, 13:48
All good points Paul, thanks for taking the time to spell it out. I certainly agree on the benefit of an owner knowing what every single nut, bolt and wire does on their car. I'll probably still have another look at this idea after I'm a little better informed.

Oh and certainly worth a 10 :ha:

Cheers,

Owen.

Paul Woods
16-12-2005, 17:29
it is possible,but we would need to come up with one for each of the following just to be safe

mk1a fitted with rev1
mk1a fitted with rev2
mk1a fitted with rev3
mk1 a/b 87 crossover year (unknown wiring!!) maybe fitted with all three revisions
mk1b with revs 1,2 and 3.....so thats 7 different adapter harnesses,14 if you use gt4 alt location or stock....to be honest i havent looked at the revision changes hard enough,maybe 2 or 3 adapters would be enough to cover them all?

Marksman
16-12-2005, 20:38
(4) Easy to copy for future swappers.

Hmm, what I meant that to say was "easily copied by future swappers" , not for future swappers, and only after they've given the idea due consideration, consulted their own wiring diagrams and signed a full disclaimer form. I'd not intended us to make them on mass and hand them out to anyone who cares to plug it onto the end of their pride and joy, and then sue us after it goes up in flames...

However returning to seriousness for a brief moment... If it were possible to make say three varients to cover any combination of early and late MK1's, and rev one and two tubby's then that might make life easier for future members so I'd certainly be up to help with that. If it's impracticle that's fine also, no point putting any wiring at risk. With the resources available through TB there isn't really any need for a one size fits all adaptor it'd just be nice if it were available.

Right serious mode back to off. On a selfish note can we wait until after I've bought my tubby clip? :-# If word gets out on how do-able this MK1.5 swap is all the good donor's get bought up and the price will rocket. :-({|= :tongue:

Cheers all,

Owen.

Paul Woods
17-12-2005, 08:37
ha ha good idea mate,cant have the dow jones or the fte 100 index (wtf is that anyway???) rocketing just before you do your swap! lets say no more until later :D