View Full Version : Lend me your brains please lads.

f426YOUNG
21-02-2009, 20:26
Today i tore Bob a new arsehole/access panel so we could fit the plugs and leads.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/02/112.jpg

Managed to do them all except the rear rightmost plug

The end rubber of the HT lead has come off and stuck round the spark plug in the well. Because of where it sits i cannot undo the spark plug to take it out as the rubber is sitting round the nut bit.

I've tried a screwdriver, a hook, a white hot screwdriver to melt to it, superglue on the HT lead, even fooking chopsticks but i just cannot get that rubber end piece off the spark plug.

If i use long nosed pliers, it's too close to the rear firewall and can't get them into the spark plug well.

I need some suggestions as to how to get the fooker out of there and then i can get poor Bob back on the road.

So go on, put your big ol' brains into action and throw some ideas at me!

Mr2some
22-02-2009, 07:37
Bit of a no-brainer really......................
Just cut ALL/MORE of the bulkhead away.

f426YOUNG
22-02-2009, 09:46
I think you's are mis-understanding the problem here, it's not access to the plug well am struggling with, it's getting a tight rubber band off the spark plug that's the problem.

I need some way of attaching the old plug lead/a screwdriver/anything to the rubber so it can be removed and i can get the socket onto the nut part of the spark plug.

stevehall
22-02-2009, 10:37
Hmm, I'm guessing the spark plug in the head is coming out? You could try grabbing the spark plug with an irwin nut grip and pull the whole thing out.
--
Just tested it out, they don't make one small enough to grip the metal tip, but a 7/16th (11mm) one will try to cut into the ceramic part, obviously not the best material to grip, but it seemed to be holding failry tight, the whole thing also fits down a spark plug tube using a socket extender.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/02/120.jpg

f426YOUNG
22-02-2009, 11:36
Auld yin to the rescue!

He went out and bought a set of long nosed pliers, couldn't open them when they were in the plug well so he made an SST.

I'll get pics of it after but it's basically a length of copper pipe with the end ground into a sharp barbed type effect, pushed it in the hole, turned it and it bit into the rubber and then it houked it out. :thumbsup:

New plugs and leads are installed, she's running nicely on all 6 again so am off out for a proper blast.

Cheers for the ideas folks.