View Full Version : Time to get serious, wiring question

328FTW
19-02-2009, 06:25
Alright let my pestering of various individuals for information begin. My 1.5 build is now a full commitment and there is no going back and I have both engines out on the floor ready for the swap. Now that I have the celica loom out I can see what a monster of integration it is. I have begun chopping out the various things no longer needed for heater controls, lights etc etc to see if it would be easier to use that loom or the mkI loom.

The plugs for the celica are different than an MR2 and the celica has integrated fuse boxes everywhere. Does anyone know if it is easier to wire the celica engine loom into the mkI or if it is easier to use the complete celica loom (st185 3sge gen 2) minus all the guff (easier being loosely defined here) I do not need lights, A/C indicators or even fan control, I want the engine to be its own self contained unit with the key to it and gauges if I see fit. The only thing in the mkI is gauges and the key and that's it.

Or alternatively how hard would rewiring some of the ecu outs to not run through the bloated loom be? I have an idea of how I might do this but before I launch myself into this would just like to get some collective knowledge going. I this doesn't work out that well and it becomes a nightmare then a stand alone unit will go in, I have more experience with those than stock ecu setups.

The loom looked like this before I hacked it some (scary to the wiring shy you may want to look away)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/02/99.jpg

Paul Woods
19-02-2009, 07:27
Basically,just use the celica engine harness up to the engine bay fuse box and the kickwell plugs... you don't need anything else.

Make your new connections at the N1 connector in your mk1 boot onto the celica engine harness wires,identifying what wire feeds ignition coilpack/injectors and powering the ecu up.

Do it one wire at a time,the big picture will scare you.... do it until all thats left is gauge signal wires.

Im pretty much intimate with celica and mr2 wiring harnesses and also the ecu pinouts are all imprinted in my brain! So if you need help with individual wires just ask.

328FTW
19-02-2009, 09:00
Cool thanks Paul, if my mkI loom was good this would be a no brainer but I think there are a couple of shorts in it after it blew some fuses in its dying hours, I will probably go right through and have a tidy up before i plug into it because I just don't trust it right now. I guess the real test comes when it is in and I turn the key. I will only know then if I got it right.