View Full Version : Project Kamakiri

SlipSlide
11-02-2009, 00:05
This may or may not be in the proper forum section, but here it is anyway.

I have, since buying this car (Millentubbys #8) tried to develop a character and name from which to build the project, going from Norse to Celtic gods and eventually I have settled on a six legged (cylinders) Japanese hunter, as that will be her purpose when finished, to hunt larger prey.

Kamakiri (Praying Mantis) the Japanese for sickle cut. The Praying Mantis is a symbol of cunning and power in Japanese culture and is highly respected. Mantises are exclusively predatory, are ambush predators, waiting for prey to stray too near. The mantis then lashes out at remarkable speed. Good on you google.:thumbsup:

The project will take some time, but I hope to achieve the end goal in three years tops. The finished product will be a stripped out road going AW11 pushing a hefty few ponies. First off I am getting the existing setup running to its best as is, to prove to myself that all is good in the basics & dyno run it for a base point figure.

So to start I came home today to these few Styleauto bits (thanks Paul), getting the bodywork done during the summer after a good old check over for rust worms,
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii72/5lip5lide/008-2.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii72/5lip5lide/009-2.jpg

Strip out the engine & remove the heads, heads going to Tony for flowing around April
Install roll cage, build up the Styleauto and flared wheel arches all blended to the bodywork and finish it a not so polite green (sorry Colin).

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/02/49.jpg

That will probably be all that is achieved this year, following on from that she will be getting injectors, standalone ECU, fabricate full exhaust system headers to tail pipes, then a dyno run.

Once that is complete hopefully the recession /depression is on the upswing and we will be going for a bottom up engine build for rotrex boosting and lightweight rotational mass.

This is the start of my thread, it will take time as they all do, and I hope to document it as best as possible along the way, so keep an eye out for burst knuckles, arc eye, burn wards and more expletive than you have ever known.

To all of you that are about to help me :thumbsup:

OlberJ
11-02-2009, 00:12
:popcorn:

Is that owt like a Kaminari?

Jiff Lemon
11-02-2009, 09:00
As long as its nothing like a kameleon were laughing! :D

BSM
11-02-2009, 09:33
Kalamari?

Paul Woods
11-02-2009, 18:00
What do you think of the bodykit quality ray? up to scratch? If you need any pointers on making the bumpers fit with the arches let me know as its essentially the exact same thing i've done to mine.

Murf
11-02-2009, 20:49
Good luck with it :)

SlipSlide
11-02-2009, 23:42
:popcorn:

Is that owt like a Kaminari?
I had to google that one and its a big, NOPE

Better get a big ol tub of popcorn there Olie, this is going to be slow and steady. Just finished my college nightcourse and can get stuck into the car again,last weekend was the family and this weekend I am in Rome with the rugby toffs, warming up to beat our celtic kinsmen and the rest of them. So after that we will get stuck in big style. Engine out by March and join the engine stand club.

As long as its nothing like a kameleon were laughing! :D

Nope no kackmelons here, not yet anyway I will see how deluded I become with the fibreglass dust and petrol vapours. :freak3:

Kalamari?

Deep fried AW11, nope wouldn't waste the batter. rotflmao

What do you think of the bodykit quality ray? up to scratch? If you need any pointers on making the bumpers fit with the arches let me know as its essentially the exact same thing i've done to mine.

They look damn good and the arches are top notch one or two very minor marks but I would say that was the transporters and nothing bad either. I am following your other thread and I hope to do alot of the work myself bar the finishing and painting, if I was to spray it the finish would be like a 70 year olds congealed arsehole.

Good luck with it :)

Cheers Murf

Paul Woods
12-02-2009, 07:05
lol congrats on the new TB quote of the month....

I hope to do alot of the work myself bar the finishing and painting, if I was to spray it the finish would be like a 70 year olds congealed arsehole.

Rowdan
12-02-2009, 12:26
this weekend I am in Rome with the rugby toffs, warming up to beat our celtic kinsmen and the rest of them. So after that we will get stuck in big style.

You'll be crying into your Guinness by the end of March then.:rasp:
:hidesbehi

MOG7
12-02-2009, 13:13
Oh Ray you lucky sod.... Give me a shout anytime if you need a pair of hands... or a cup of tea :thumbsup: I can't wait to see this one take shape :)

SlipSlide
22-02-2009, 15:38
Started on the car today trying to sort out the engine running issues, now for the last while I could only get it to fire for a couple of seconds. got that sorted, AFM earth wire disconnected somehow :blush:. Started the car and she idles fine once you have some open throttle but won't idle even when up to temp :confused:

Checked for DTC's and got a DTC 12. I have checked the resistance on the distributor as stated in the manual and all is good in the hood. My next port of call is the continuity between the ground and the ECM but I have not a breeze where it connects into the ECM its the green wire but on which block. Or should I be looking for an earthing point somewhere.

SlipSlide
22-02-2009, 17:19
My next port of call is the continuity between the ground and the ECM but I have not a breeze where it connects into the ECM its the green wire but on which block. Or should I be looking for an earthing point somewhere.

Continuity is ok thanks to finding the sticky in the electrical section :thumbsup: Still DTC 12

SlipSlide
16-03-2009, 20:20
You'll be crying into your Guinness by the end of March then.:rasp:
:hidesbehi
End of March is coming and the sea of green will descend on Cardiff and empty your pubs of drink while rolling over the valley's and coming away with the triple crown, the six nations and grand slam your ass's. :moon:

Now onto the car, I believe I have found the missfire problem. There was only one bolt holding the distributor on.

Have that sorted, just need to reattach the TB and ISCV and hopefully that will sort out the lack of revs and missfiring. I still think there is a problem with the ISCV but tomorrow will show me if there is, and a search will tell me how to sort it.

Progress at last :hehe:

OlberJ
16-03-2009, 20:42
Good man. I know MT had been trying out a couple of dizzy assemblies so he's possibly just not put it back on correctly?

Here's hoping :thumbsup:

SlipSlide
18-03-2009, 17:49
Right the work to put the distributor on with the required three bolt rather than the one that was on it seemed to clear some of the miss fire, but it is still there just higher up the rev range and still error code 12.

So a new taught came to mind are the plug leads on correctly. Now the distributor outputs (excuse the none tech. reference) are numbered 1 thru to 6 and when I had it off the correct cylinder no's to outputs did not marry. None the less this doesn't seem to matter as the firing order doesn't change 1-2-3-4-5-6. So I have just checked the order of firing on my plug leads from the distributor and they come up as 1-2-5-6-3-4.

Taking from that, would that cause the error code 12 and if I just get the sequence right by connecting the plug leads to the correctly numbered outputs and orientating the distributor properly it should get me close enough to right then all I need to adjust is the timing. Also it would be wise for me to get the pistons to TDC before messing with any of this when doing that how do I know if the distributor is TDC as well

I have probably answered my own questions but the error code and moving the distributor worry me as I might knock the timing out. Anybody got any inputs for me or a contribution even disparaging ones, all accepted from the holy house of twobrutal :pray:

OlberJ
18-03-2009, 18:44
Just trying to clarify here mate, do you think you have the plug leads on the wrong connections at the dizzy cap?

Here's the layout i was given for the plug lead numbers :

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/52.jpg

HTH,
Olie

SlipSlide
18-03-2009, 19:06
That the cylinder no's as I have them from the engine manual but the firing sequence on the car as I got it is 1-2-5-6-3-4 if you go by the plug leads vs the distributor.

Problem is the outlet spurs on the dizzy are numbered 1 to 6 but the 1-6 leads are not mated to the corresponding no's.

I think the numbers on the dissy cap outlets should have no influence once the leads are installed in the correct firing order i.e you could start on outlet no 4 as cylinder 1 and follow with outlet 5 as cylinder 2 etc once the dizzy cap is orientated to suit.

It looks to me like the leads where not on correctly to start when related to the firing order from the dizzy, what I need to know really is the correct orientation of dizzy cap (ie position of outlet no. 1) and then join in the correct plug leads to suit followed by tweaking the timing to the correct value (10 BTDC) This I suspect was the problem since before I got it.

Its hard to describe over the www might try and get a photo up later on if what I said above is only adding to the confusion.

OlberJ
18-03-2009, 19:42
Ah right, gotcha, there should be 2 pipes coming off the dizzy cap, which look like breathers.

I'll check for you 2moro but from memory they're pointing downwards.

SlipSlide
19-03-2009, 22:32
Messed with the plug setup last night and things didn't get any better still Error code 12:sad:.

But regardless after sorting the dizzy fixing screws I took her out tonight for a bit of a run. Its revving alot nicer now but still misses higher up the revs so I need to double check the air gaps to the pickups it the only thing left to check on the error code. so thats the next step.

Also need to strip the drivers side front caliper as the bugger was binding when I was driving around.

But I am getting to work on the car most nights now so I am well happy with that. :)

OlberJ
19-03-2009, 22:35
Checked for you today chief and yes the 2 breathers point down so you know the cap is the right way up on the assembly.

SlipSlide
19-03-2009, 22:55
Yep had a look at that last night and it was ok, I reckon its the pickups. Last night while I was pricking about with the leads etc I used the timing light to make sure that a current was being passed down the plug leads and the leads on the rear bank didn't seem to fire as smoothly as the front bank.

That could have been down to me though, the engine still won't idle so I was in the cab reving, with the timing light connected to the battery on the floor that was running the car as the one in the car is flat, my right arm contorted arseways with the timing light in my hand and the pickup on the each plug lead to the plugs while pressing the button on the timing light to check for a flash. The joy of working by yourself.:freak3:

So could I take it from the below that the G1 and G2 pickups do the front and rear bank of plugs and if so one of mine, based on the above is fucked.

Edit: But having just read a bit more of the manual the above is probably bollox talk.

Using SST (G1 and G2 pickups) and a thickness gauge
(NE pickup), measure the air gap between the signal rotor
projection and pickup coil.
SST 09240–00020 for G1 and G2 pickups.

SlipSlide
26-03-2009, 20:29
So I have thrown a good few hours at trying to sort out the dizzy related error code 12.

I have checked the resistance on each pickup and all ok.
Made sure on continuity to ecu also ok
Checked the air gap all within spec.
Messed around with the plug lead set up and brought it back to the way it was when I got her, as it was right. Not that that would cause the error code anyway, but her's to clutching at straws.

Has anybody got any ideas if anything else could be causing the error code and missfire.

MOG7
02-04-2009, 14:41
Hi Ray, i don't know if you got my reply on the oc before the site went down for a few days, you can have that part off my v6 to check what the problem is if you want. Whenever you are around to get it i might give you another gearbox to get recon'd if you could? :angel: Oh and i sold my old red mk2 so i don't have those bits you were looking for anymore sorry :blush:

SlipSlide
02-04-2009, 20:22
PM sent, looking at saturday morning, and I can pick up the gearbox then to.

Hopefully this will locate the problem, if the error code still exists then it must be down to an intermitent problem with the wiring from the dizzy to the ECU.

SlipSlide
14-04-2009, 22:20
I changed over the entire dizzy unit to MOG7 one and still have the DTC 12 error code>:(, I decided to step back for a minute and review all that was done so far<:(.

This is my conclusion, the ECU is fucked :blowup: When I try to clear the codes by pulling the EFI fuse and then put it back in she shows the error code straight away without even starting the car, even after disconnecting the battery etc its still there. So I have myself in the market for a new ECU by the looks of it.

Project is now on hold going to finish the SW20 first, as it needs less money to get fully up and running. Then turn back to the AW11 later in the year.

Lee
15-04-2009, 10:52
To nail it down for definite can you not borrow an ECU and see if the code appears on that one?

What you need is a Link G4 currently on a group buy, we need one more person to get it at a decent discount. :hidesbehi

SlipSlide
15-04-2009, 23:44
To nail it down for definite can you not borrow an ECU and see if the code appears on that one?

What you need is a Link G4 currently on a group buy, we need one more person to get it at a decent discount. :hidesbehi

Cheers Lee, Going to see if I can get my hands on an ECU (MOG7)to check for definite. I seen the thread about the group buy. Cash not there at the minute. I will be checking my standalone options later in the year hopefully and make a purchase then.

MOG7
17-04-2009, 09:25
Ye mate i'll dig put my ecu for you and you can take it when you are dropping back the dizzy...

SlipSlide
28-06-2009, 17:15
Looks like me ignition coil is the cause of the problems with the total breakdown in the revs higher up.
I took the coil out earlier today and checked its resistance (Vicky Michelle, Hmmm) and the primary coil gave a cold resitance of 6.4 ohms instead of 0.3-0.6. and the resistance across the secondary coil is none existant i.e. no continuity. Now the figures are with the coil out of the car sitting on a bench, will that skew the resistance figure.

I am guessing this is the problem and I need a new ignition coil anybody got any input / experience.

If it is the problem anybody care to sell me a working ignition coil P&P to Ireland.

millentubby
28-06-2009, 22:48
RAY!

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago and thought the ignition coil parts could have been the issue.

Was away from the PC and it popped out my head as quickly as it entered it at the time but someone was talking to me about soemthing similar and my spidey-senses were tingling.

Apologies for not passing this on sooner (I completely forgot until now) but I'd get hold of someone with a dead 3VZ and buy their ign. coil.

SlipSlide
29-06-2009, 20:01
No problem Colin, I have popped the part no. onto the brother in law and he is getting a toyota price on it tomorrow for me. If that doesn't suit I will be getting one of a dead VZ. "Zed's dead baby Zed's dead"

Another question for you Colin, the brake set up is from an ST165 isn't it. Just need to sort out a binding caliper and if I need a refurb kit just want to get the right one. Cheers.

OlberJ
05-07-2009, 15:47
I thought they were 185's on there.

Have a look and see if the piston is twin or single Ray.

SlipSlide
05-07-2009, 16:56
Big single piston on there Olie.

OlberJ
05-07-2009, 17:11
ST185's it is mate.

ST165's are the double piston ones and ST205's are 4 piston jobbies.

:thumbsup:

SlipSlide
05-07-2009, 17:28
Mucho grassyass senor Olie

SlipSlide
24-07-2009, 23:01
Going to collect another 3VZFE in the next couple of days, anybody fancy a spin in a 12 cylinder Mrk 1.

OlberJ
24-07-2009, 23:17
U still having problems with the top end of the rev range Ray?

SlipSlide
24-07-2009, 23:30
No problems at all Olie, I haven't touched the car since I last posted here, think I might have to dispose of the family, shit shouldn't have said that online. :tempted:

Seriously though I haven't got near it but my old man is retiring in a month or two and I thought I would get him to build me an good one while I work on the car. Then swap them out and sell on the enigne to a boat club or something as the 2GR is the way and the light, nobody will want a 3VZFE soon unless its boosted:blink: Hope your prepping up for all these 2GR conversions over there.

Going to trade ancillaries etc and stuff till I get to the bottom of the problem. Wiring the garage soon and putting a floor in it so should be ramping up progress soon. Its a disgrace I have an exhaust, autostyle bumper and wide archs hanging out of the ceiling, car up on axle stand to sort out the brakes and nothing is getting done.

At least the car ain't melting in the rain.

SlipSlide
16-10-2009, 19:08
nobody will want a 3VZFE soon unless its boosted:blink:
Foot in mouth time, I got these today cheers Adam 7MGTE injectors.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/10/95.jpg[/QUOTE]

Starting to collect parts for furture mods:blink: and getting a months holidays next tuesday so that should have the Mrk II out of the way and then I can work on the previous still existent piece of the 1.6 puzzle.