PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 seats into Mk1

Mystery Machine
23-01-2009, 13:04
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of putting some Mk2 seats into my car to replace the Mk1a seats in there at the moment. (To me, Mk1a seats in a Mk1b doesn't compute!)

I have seen the thread which says that it's quite a simple procedure (3 holes line up, 1 needs elongating) but does anyone have some pics of the seats actually fitted??

Ideally, if someone has some fitted, please can you let me know what they are like for height/movement/comfort etc....compared to the Mk1 seats?

I have been offered some Mk1 leather seats in good condition, also a set of Mk1 charcoal cloth seats, but quite fancy a set of Mk2's instead if they work well in the Mk1.

Any comments & photos el'mucho appreciated.

Many thanks, Bruce

OlberJ
23-01-2009, 17:04
Mk1a seats look fookin ace! Wash that mouth out lol

I've got a set of Mk2 leathers to go into bob, have checked the bolt holes and they don't seem to line up right. I only get 2 to line up.

Auld Yin has cut some feet off other mk1b seats and we're gonna weld them onto the Mk2 rails. Easiest way i can see to do it.

Looked at Ki's and he had metal tabs fitted and drilled for new feet.

I know Paff mentioned he had done it and 3 lined up but it lost me. :shake:

So, take your passenger seat out, stick the Mk2 seat in and have a look for yourself is the best bet :thumbsup:

Mystery Machine
23-01-2009, 17:39
Mk1a seats look fookin ace! Wash that mouth out lol
Sorry dude - I like the style of them, but not in my car if you get my drift?? They look 'right' in a 1a, but much wrongness in a 1b.

They'll be up for grabs soon if someone wants to inject some 2-tone into their interior?

So, take your passenger seat out, stick the Mk2 seat in and have a look for yourself is the best bet :thumbsup:
The main reason for the question was becasue I don't have the seats to try out. If I someone can veryify that they are a straight fit, then I might spend out on some.....but if they involve welding etc....(like you seem to think) then I guess my pennies will probably go towards the Mk1 leather seats I'm looking at tomorrow.

It's just that there is a nice pair of 1/2 leather Mk2 seats on eBay at the moment and if I could get some confirmation of fit....I would have had a punt and my mate who lives in S/hampton could pick them up for me.

These were the babies that got me thinking: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300287438589

Mistertwokw
23-01-2009, 17:47
i would be very interested in a set of 1a seats if they are the red ones.

I had mk2 seats in my old 1.5. BSM altered the existing mk2 runners for me so pm him and he can give you the gen. The 3 bolt hole thing is definately open for debate as mine were no where near lining up...hence BSm doing a bit of welding.

Hope that helps mate.

Ki

Gary Symons
23-01-2009, 18:01
Mine were nowhere near to fitting, had to do a bit of welding to get them in. Some people swear blind that they fit in a mk1 with minor mods though. Maybe there is a variation somewhere?

OlberJ
23-01-2009, 18:08
Mk1a and Mk1b seats fit the same holes so it can't be there.

Marksman
23-01-2009, 19:11
If you want I'm sure Paff and I could adapt your potential MK2 runners to fit in a MK1, should only take an evening or so...

(BTW I'm not ignoring your PM, I just seem to be away for work a lot at the moment.)

Cheers,

Owen.

Goldy
23-01-2009, 19:24
Can you not swap the runners over?

Marksman
23-01-2009, 19:34
No idea to be honest. MK1 ones are a sod of a contraption with rivets and handed sides and weird shapes. Worth a look though. :thumbsup:

Owen.

Paff
23-01-2009, 19:48
Swapping the runners over would probably be more work than adapting the mk2 runners tbh.

I know that a mate that used to live in Caerphilly had some mk2 seats in his SC and his were exactly the same as mine were to fit, 3 holes lined up perfectly and 1 needed elongating, its weird howsome people don't seem to think they will fit at all.

I can't get you pics of the ones I had I'm afraid as they were only put in for a trial fit before they were sold on to someone else with a mk1.

robwsurf
23-01-2009, 20:23
maybe theres additional holes in some cars maybe a difference between t bar and sun roof models

Paff
23-01-2009, 20:28
Well mine is a tbar and the sc they were in was a tintop.

OlberJ
23-01-2009, 20:54
Hmmm, av only tried to put them in a sunroof model. Both cars lol

OlberJ
23-01-2009, 20:54
Hold on, what seats were u putting in there? As in what Rev Mk2?

That'd make more sense if that was where the difference lay.

Paff
23-01-2009, 20:58
never tried to put them in a sunroof model.

From memory the SC was a set of Rev 3 seats and the ones I had were rev1

OlberJ
23-01-2009, 20:59
And were they Sunroof, T bar or tintop Rev1's and Rev3's? lol

ziggy
23-01-2009, 21:50
I've put recaros from a mk2 into my t/top s/c

Both front holes needed enlarging a small amount,rear hole next to g/box, needed a lot of enlarging.Rear hole next to cill-no where near,had to make a bracket up using steel plate.

Ten times better than standard seats tho.

Mystery Machine
23-01-2009, 22:58
FU*K FU*K FU*K FU*K!!! I missed the end of the damn auction anyway....got called out for a job and when I got back, game over! Oh well.....maybe it's a sign that I should consider the Mk1 leathers I'll be seeing tomorrow?

Thanks for all the feedback & comments guys. Certainly food for thought.

i would be very interested in a set of 1a seats if they are the red ones
Sorry Ki, they are blue/grey!

If you want I'm sure Paff and I could adapt your potential MK2 runners to fit in a MK1, should only take an evening or so....
Thanks for that - sounds like a possible plan.

If I don't get these Mk1 seats tomorrow then I might still hunt around for a set of Mk2 ones (I like the look of the 1/2 leather ones - a bit more grippy than the full cow-hide option)

(BTW I'm not ignoring your PM, I just seem to be away for work a lot at the moment.)
No worries Owen, I know how it goes.....I've been pretty flat out with work myself recently. Might try and call over the weekend if that's OK?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Paff
24-01-2009, 01:12
I'll be there tomorow, am away sunday, will leave the keys for the V6 there just incase :)

Owen should be able to sort out all you need.

Dam its hard typing when pissed

Mr2some
24-01-2009, 17:17
FU*K FU*K FU*K FU*K!!! I missed the end of the damn auction anyway....got called out for a job and when I got back, game over! Oh well.....maybe it's a sign that I should consider the Mk1 leathers I'll be seeing tomorrow?

Try this ! Worked for me several times :thumbsup:

http://www.justsnipe.com/index.asp?ref=gg05&ref2=adw&gclid=CJPYt5bap5gCFQsh3godlRZenA

Tom G
26-01-2009, 12:08
Turbopoweredsteve of the mk1 club has celica seats in his mk1, I think they suit it better than the sw20 seats (more retro) plus they remember their position when swung forwards/back

OlberJ
26-01-2009, 18:51
What Gen celica seats?

Tom G
27-01-2009, 16:30
don;t know, but they look retro, so I guess pre-88

glad to be of help lol