PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light help

Mystery Machine
19-01-2009, 15:33
Having picked up TomG's 1.5, there are a few little things I want to get sorted on it.....the most important at the moment is getting the reverse lights to work (higher priority than getting the speedo fixed...rotflmao)

Last night when I got home with the car I found that the reverse lights don't work...I need them to work because reversing onto my drive is difficult enough WITH working reverse lights and pure guesswork without them (pitch black lane reversing on a tight angle through a narrow archway!)

I have disconnected the wiring that makes the OS reverse light into a rear fog and have reconnected the original wiring so that both reverse lights will work (I'll figure out a fog light at a later date)

I've traced the wiring through the boot and there is continuity from each lamp holder to the main wiring loom (red wire with black tracer)

The loom then seems to run through the engine bay and through the mid-bulkhead into the area behind the passenger seat. This is where it all starts to look a bit messy and I can't find a red wire with black tracer.

Please can someone help with the following info:

Where is the reverse switch located? (gearbox operated or gear lever in the centre console?)
Where does the wiring run? (route from switch to lamps)
Which fuse controls the reverse lights?

I've checked the bulbs, so I need to start eliminating the other areas probably starting with the switch.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Bruce.

Mystery Machine
19-01-2009, 17:03
Reverse switch is located on the top of the gearbox, cant miss it.
Pull the plug off and put a jumper across the terminals on the plug, with the ignition on the reverse lights should then light.
That will either rule out the swich as faulty or not as the case may be. :)
You are a bloody STAR!! :jump:

Located the switch/plug and one of the wires was hanging out of the plug! Pulled the plug off, re-seated the wire (did the other one for good measure) and put it back in place. All working perfectly now....Many thanks for the info.

There ain't much room in there...all the water pipes/afm etc....in the way, but a few bits removed made the access a little better.

Now I can see when I reverse onto the drive....another mystery solved by the TB boys....:D Thanks again FV6.