PDA

View Full Version : Mrk 1.6 Body V's Engine build

SlipSlide
24-12-2008, 01:30
As some of you may be aware I bought Colins #8, 1.6 earlier this year. Between a house move and new baby and college I have not got near it other than changing the fuel pump and a few other little bits. Now I can't sleep tonight as my mind is uneasy with dreams of 10PSI boost and twisted chassis legs with rust holes to suit.

Here is the dilemna, should I totally strip down the chassis and give it a good going over to ensure all aspects of rust to the shell are addressed and then rebuild it sprayed the colour I want it to be or start progress on the (extensive)engine works.

Only one can only be started this year, although given the value of sterling at the minute more work could proceed depending on how hard in the nuts this R hits me.

The engine work this year would involve, heads ported etc, new ECU(type and model TBC), supra injectors, wide band Lambda, full custom exhaust system, fidanza flywheel, sort final drive on g/box, remove all unneccessary wiring.

My heart says engine and my head say bodywork.

Any input would be appreciated as the budget is being put together now and college is finished in Feb.

BSM
24-12-2008, 01:35
An Engine can be built and swapped easily, the shell you put it into is another matter, I'd do the shell first get it right, then you don't have to worry about it for a while. The engine once in, will most prob stay there so might be harder to get the shell right after that.

OlberJ
24-12-2008, 12:50
^^^^

The engine bay is way easier to paint out if all its components are removed first

Indeed, the engine bay is easier to paint with the engine out lol

That's the route if you're doing the whole thing properly, engine out, sort the shell, chassis and bodywork.

Then put the engine back in as is, amass the parts and do the mechanics when you got everything ready to go.

Obviously, you're doing this arse about tit because the welding and framework has already been done by MT.

SlipSlide
07-01-2009, 12:07
Bodywork it is then thanks for the input all. :thumbsup:

Just going to get the car running properly first, got DTC 12 so I will sort that out over the weekend hopefully its just a wire and not the distributor, make sure its driving fine then start the strip down. :eek2:

Will be sorting out the Autostyle kit and wide ass arches :boogie: as soon as Paul sends me the price for delivery to Ireland as well.

So the aim this year is to have a complete rolling 1.6 shell, painted, roll cage, stripped out interior and weight reduction (already started on the driver's end of this, damn new year resolutions). Getting the heads done as well this year.

I will post up a project thread over the next couple of days outlining what the plans are for all to see, was going to keep it secret but where is the sense in that.

biteme
07-01-2009, 14:13
Getting the heads done as well this year.

How do mate.

It might be an idea to try and get a second set of 3VZ heads to get ported, then you can send them away to be done and swap them them over quicker. Just thinking of the turn around speeds to Ireland.

SlipSlide
07-01-2009, 14:56
How do mate.

It might be an idea to try and get a second set of 3VZ heads to get ported, then you can send them away to be done and swap them them over quicker. Just thinking of the turn around speeds to Ireland.

Just getting the heads done for now, I will be doing a bottom up engine build following from getting the rolling chassis finished this year. I am not in a particular hurry to get them done as the project is going to take three years to completion and would like it to be right from the getgo.

I might be getting my hands on another V6 in the coming weeks if I can raise the cash quick enough so that might turn into the project engine and if the finished engine is good enough on one I might build the second one the same and sell on or put it in the SW20.

Loads of options if I have two of them, one could be a n/a screamer and the other a boosted torque horse. Of course dopey me bought the styleauto kit and arches of Paul and set the engine purchase back a little hopefully it will still be around.

Be nice to have two V6's in the garage and if I welded them together then would be a V12. Johnny your my hero rotflmao Kidding

biteme
07-01-2009, 15:58
Be nice to have two V6's in the garage and if I welded them together then would be a V12. Johnny your my hero rotflmao Kidding

Ooohhhkkaaayyy... not entirely sure why I'm your hero :P

V12's rock. I WILL be putting a V12 in my Supra at some point.

Woods...

SlipSlide
07-01-2009, 16:59
V12's rock. I WILL be putting a V12 in my Supra at some point.

Woods...

Thats what I was hinting at alright :thumbsup: will you be blowing the 12.

millentubby
07-01-2009, 19:31
I LOVE the sound of this thread Ray!!

I'd take the engine out and get the chassis and body how you wanted it - the car is damn strong and only bit of corrosion that concerned me was the bit at the leading edge of the roof - hopefully there's no more!

Still...wide arches, ported heads, respray (full Gunmetal respray...please!!!)...I miss the car tons but am glad it's destined for madness! :D

SlipSlide
07-01-2009, 20:29
Thanks Colin, when she is up and running fully I will have to head over your direction to show you the completion of what you started.

millentubby
09-01-2009, 11:48
Failing that I'll have to drop in - one of my housemates is from Port Steward/Coleraine (sp?) in the North and we've been promising ourselves a wee trip across to see what Ireland (and the North) has to offer!