View Full Version : What sports cats to use with a v6???

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 15:14
Hi , as the title....when mot time comes for my 1997 uk mr2. Still not sure of the year of v6 that's going in but assuming i need one then any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

MRV6
28-11-2008, 15:19
The company who made mine mate use a high flow cat, I can find out if they sell them seperate. What system are you going for mate?

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 15:30
hopefully berk technology if i can get hold of one that is ....if not then Xs power probably. Its 1992+ is when a cat is needed for the mot is'nt it??

If i do need a cat then i might go for the 1mz fe instead.

MRV6
28-11-2008, 15:34
Think the cat test was backend of 94/early 95. I know mine doesn't need one and it's a 94.

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 15:41
See your's is an import, mine being a uk so not sure the same rules apply.

I'm on the mot website but cannot find the info so far. :(

biteme
28-11-2008, 15:45
I'd not worry and slip the guy a tenner lol

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 16:08
haha... i used to do that in my home town but can't find anyone here willing to do it......not that i asked :)

OlberJ
28-11-2008, 17:17
Whatever is earlier, engine or car it's tested on.

It's '95 that's the cut off as Phil says.

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 17:32
ok no bother....i think i worry too much sometimes

thanks guys

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 17:52
You know what, i think i'm getting mixed up with when cats were getting the push to manufacturers by the government during 1992 so maybe a cat test was not introduced till later to give manufacturers time , so mid 1995 cut off makes sense.

Just on a MOT site and the example they provided for swaping engines was for a 1995 car with a 1991 engine,the onus was for the owner to prove the engine's age.

cheers again.

Lee
28-11-2008, 19:05
hopefully berk technology if i can get hold of one that is ....if not then Xs power probably. Its 1992+ is when a cat is needed for the mot is'nt it??

If i do need a cat then i might go for the 1mz fe instead.

Just remember Kenny, if it's a turbo version it will be mentalist loud fitted to an N/A :thumbsup:

Gwrinkle
28-11-2008, 19:35
kenny.c if you are interested I will be selling my XS backbox in the new year. Be warned though it is hellishly loud and thats the reason Im changing it. Definately not an every day driver.

Howlin_Mad
28-11-2008, 22:40
If you have a V6 put in ANY MR2 you don't need a "Cat-Test".

Ask the MOT tester to find any MR2 chassis with a V6 engine to test against in his database :)

I have emails from the DVLA that can confirm this.

Kieren

kenny.c
28-11-2008, 23:43
hi guys....

Lee - No bother, the way i like it.

Gwrinkle - If i do go for the Xs i''ll give you a buzz.

Howlin Mad - that is interesting, but the age of the engine still applies like a 1997 1mzfe would still need a cat test ....right???

Howlin_Mad
29-11-2008, 00:02
Howlin Mad - that is interesting, but the age of the engine still applies like a 1997 1mzfe would still need a cat test ....right???

Nope - they would have to find a Mk1/2/3 with a V6 on their database and they won't - therefore it has to go through the lower emissions test.

If you want a copy of the email from the DVLA just ask :)

And if you want to hear what a Turbo Motoria/Japspeed exhaust sounds like i've just posted on the "Show Us your Exhaust" thread :D

Kieren

biteme
29-11-2008, 00:16
Nope - they would have to find a Mk1/2/3 with a V6 on their database and they won't - therefore it has to go through the lower emissions test.

If you want a copy of the email from the DVLA just ask :)

And if you want to hear what a Turbo Motoria/Japspeed exhaust sounds like i've just posted on the "Show Us your Exhaust" thread :D

Kieren

I'd like a copy :)

Howlin_Mad
29-11-2008, 00:40
Obliged :)

mike ****** <****@hotmail.co.uk>
To:<rebecca.jones@vosa.gov.uk>
Subject: FW: MOT Test for Japanese Import 24/05/2008 08:13

I drive a Japanese Import 1994 MR2 Turbo and I'm due to have my car MOT'd this week. Previously, the car has been through a non-CAT test due to the fact that there is NO UK equivalent to this vehicle at this age. The garages I have contacted insist on putting the car through a CAT-test. I have a section of the MOT Inspection Manual, which, in section 6.4, has a flow chart that clearly states that my car should be put through a non-CAT test.
I understand that the test station check my vehicle details against the emission limits in the database and if there is no exact match for my vehicle then it should go through a non-CAT test using the default limits for a 1994 vehicle. The default limits are CO<=3.5% and HC <=1200ppm.

The only similar vehicle in the database is a 3SGE 2.0L not a 3SGTE which is what my vehicle is. Therefore, there is no EXACT match so should go through a non CAT test using default limits.

I would be really gratefull if you could check my car details for me.

Model: MR2 Turbo
Engine Code: 3S-GTE
VIN NUMBER: SW20 - *******

Could you please clarify the situation for my car.

Best Regards
Mike ********

Re:FW: MOT Test for Japanese Import
From: ian.byrne @ vosa.gov.uk on behalf of Enquiries @ vosa.gov.uk
Sent: 28 May 2008 14:41:46
To: *********** @ hotmail.co.uk

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties regarding testing your vehicle for emissions. The garages should really know the correct procedures and regulations which are clearly stated in the MOT testing manual.The MOT test regulations specify that an 'exact' match is required for a CAT test. From the information provided by you the vehicle details are NOT an exact match to those listed in the 13th edition of the In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles and as such would require a NON-CAT test to the default limits you correctly specify in your message.

Ian Byrne,
Customer Service Centre(Contact Centre) Swansea
Tel:- 0870 60 60 440

There is another email that applies specifically to the V6 conversions i'm trying to find too but it's gone astray at the moment!!

Kieren

OlberJ
29-11-2008, 01:07
Now this may just be for Imports, the fact they have to match exactly. Not sure.

If your car is a '94 though, doesn't matter what engine is in it, shouldn't need a CAT.

Have you got section 6.4 to hand chief?

snowtigger
29-11-2008, 01:11
I,m not arssed about the cat test as i have a friend who is a mot man and he no's all about my old cars , to the point he says "wot piece of roted out crap do u want me to test this month".

can't wait till i get the mk1 sorted and v6ed so i can see his jaw hit the floor.

will have to ask him about this cat thing but i dont want him to know yet that i am going to v6 the mr2.

kenny.c
29-11-2008, 23:04
I,m not arssed about the cat test as i have a friend who is a mot man and he no's all about my old cars , to the point he says "wot piece of roted out crap do u want me to test this month".

can't wait till i get the mk1 sorted and v6ed so i can see his jaw hit the floor.

will have to ask him about this cat thing but i dont want him to know yet that i am going to v6 the mr2.

I'm sure your friend will turn a blind eye reguardless of cat or no cat. hehe :thumbsup: