bburn13
21-11-2008, 01:45
:roll: No replies :shrug:

Thought you guys would have had some tips,
as this is the most helpful site I have ever come across :icon_eek:

OK I`ll try again. I do understand the basics,

the 2 outer pipes go to the same places as the inercooler pipes
Hot air from the turbo to the charge cooler, cooled air back to the engine

The 2 top pipes go to the radiator and back.
Hot water via the pump to the radiator
Cooled water back into the cooler

But where does the inline filler go,
(I`d guess from the radiator to the cooler???)

and how do you wire up the pump

Dave

BSM
21-11-2008, 02:03
You can wire the pump straight to an ignition feed, so it is active when the engine is running. Should be just two wires live and earth unless it has a multi speed system built in. Best to use a relay depandant on the current draw of the pump, feed from battery (pick up from starter main feed terminal) direct to relay then ign switched live to energise the relay to give pump power (ask if you need a diagram).
In line filter should go after the radiator and before the chargecooler also depends which way the pump works best and placement as filtered water is best through a pump to stop any damage to the internals.
Just to confirm it IS a filter and not a filler that can be placed high up to enable you to fill without airlocks??
Keep your charge pipes as short as poss and try not to have the unit close to any heat source as heat sink will occur and defeat the object of the chargecooler.

HTH

BSM

robwsurf
21-11-2008, 08:00
in the pic it looks like a filler / pressure cap make that the highest point of the install

Goldy
21-11-2008, 17:58
:roll: No replies :shrug:

Thought you guys would have had some tips,
as this is the most helpful site I have ever come across :icon_eek:

OK I`ll try again. I do understand the basics,

the 2 outer pipes go to the same places as the inercooler pipes
Hot air from the turbo to the charge cooler, cooled air back to the engine

The 2 top pipes go to the radiator and back.
Hot water via the pump to the radiator
Cooled water back into the cooler

But where does the inline filler go,
(I`d guess from the radiator to the cooler???)

and how do you wire up the pump

Dave

Think you've got the basics there... you'll need to mount the rad at the front and get some decent pipes that won't kink to connect the cooler to the rad. The filler will need to be the highest point in the system so you can get air out etc..

Work out where everything is going to go first and then how to secure it in place, you will probably need to make some custom brackets out of aluminium or something to fix everything to.

If you need a hand wiring up gimme a shout.

BSM
21-11-2008, 18:09
Maybe i should read things more clearly at that time in the morning, just re read it and it did say filler not filter.....d'oh sorry.

sidewaysfreak
21-11-2008, 18:10
When I fitted mine I put the cooled water coming back from the rad to the engine end of the chargecooler, my theory was the coolest water was cooling the coolest air and as the water is warmed up through the cooler it cools the hottest air at the turbo end.
Made sense in my head anyway :odd:

Goldy
21-11-2008, 18:16
When I fitted mine I put the cooled water coming back from the rad to the engine end of the chargecooler, my theory was the coolest water was cooling the coolest air and as the water is warmed up through the cooler it cools the hottest air at the turbo end.
Made sense in my head anyway :odd:

I would have thought you'd want the coldest water coming in where the hottest air was as the greater temperature difference will mean you get more degrees C of cooling. Though the difference is probably negligable overall.... someone on here probably has a mathematical model of it!

Have we got any thermodynamic engineers here??? :thumbsup:

Marksman
21-11-2008, 19:03
Just out out interest what are the dimensions of that radiator?

Cheers,

Owen.

bburn13
21-11-2008, 21:01
:thumbsup: Thanks for the input Gents,

You can wire the pump straight to an ignition feed, so it is active when the engine is running. Should be just two wires live and earth unless it has a multi speed system built in. Best to use a relay depandant on the current draw of the pump, feed from battery (pick up from starter main feed terminal) direct to relay then ign switched live to energise the relay to give pump power (ask if you need a diagram).

BSM

Thanks BSM,
If you have a diagram, I would find it very useful

Work out where everything is going to go first and then how to secure it in place, you will probably need to make some custom brackets out of aluminium or something to fix everything to.

If you need a hand wiring up gimme a shout.

Thanks for that Si, will give you a call if (when) I get stuck

Just out out interest what are the dimensions of that radiator?

Cheers,

Owen.

Owen
The radiator is 290 x 250 x 40 with a 9" thermal fan

But as the mk1 is a tin top, it had Air Conditioning.
So I was wondering about using the A/C Rad!!
What do you think Owen?

Dave

Marksman
21-11-2008, 23:06
Not sure to be honest. We were planning to try this approach on Podge's V8 as my project car had aircon so we had the rad lying about. It has fairly small inputs though. What diameter pipe do you need to run?

The reason I asked about the dimensions was because I was wondering if there was room to do something similar to my side vent intercooler? With shorter pipe runs you'd save a bundle of weight and the pump wouldn't have to work nearly so hard. You'd not be running the two radiators back to back either so possible advantage there. Does mean cutting a bloody big hole in the side of the car though, but you'd have a true one off at the end of it!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/240.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/141.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/142.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/143.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/144.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/07/145.jpg

Just an idea :thumbsup:

Owen.

sidewaysfreak
22-11-2008, 11:14
But as the mk1 is a tin top, it had Air Conditioning.
So I was wondering about using the A/C Rad!!
What do you think Owen?

Dave

I used the aircon pipework all the way from the rear of the car, flowed fine :thumbsup:
You just have to bypass the gubbins in the frunk or put the pump in there

bburn13
22-11-2008, 22:38
I used the aircon pipework all the way from the rear of the car, flowed fine :thumbsup:
You just have to bypass the gubbins in the frunk or put the pump in there

Great, that makes me feel better :thumbsup:

The reason I asked about the dimensions was because I was wondering if there was room to do something similar to my side vent intercooler?

Just an idea :thumbsup:

Owen.

:hmm: Hmmmm :hmm:
I really like that idea

The reason I was asking now was,
so I could do any prep work before the engine goes in.

If I go down Owens (attractive looking) route,
I will have to get the engine in first, to see how much room I have left.
Dave

OlberJ
23-11-2008, 11:04
If I go down Owens (attractive looking) route,

:hand: lol

robwsurf
23-11-2008, 11:55
could you mount the rad at an angle under / infront of the gearbox get air from underneath might be cooler down there too