View Full Version : Checking Error Codes on the V6

Howlin_Mad
06-11-2008, 20:26
Hi All,

Lots of questions again! :confused:

I was wanting to check for any error codes on the V6 and also wanted to try resetting the ecu to self learn now ive got a different air filter setup.

Is the diagnostic setup the same as the SW20 setup? (apologies - i haven't looked for a diag port - too busy looking at the lovely engine bay).

And am i right in thinking that the EFI fuse pull will reset the ECU on the V6 conversion?

And lastly, after reading Pete's 355 swap i'm concerned that my 4 clicks on the AFM mod to lean it out will do some damage due to what JohnnyG said? It was running SILLY rich when i got it - probably due to the exhaust and Walboro - but after 1000 miles after the 4 clicks on the AFM it's running a little better but i still get flames at any gear change over 4.5K and i don't want to do any damage to my new baby!!!

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

Kieren

biteme
06-11-2008, 20:45
And lastly, after reading Pete's 355 swap i'm concerned that my 4 clicks on the AFM mod to lean it out will do some damage due to what JohnnyG said? It was running SILLY rich when i got it - probably due to the exhaust and Walboro - but after 1000 miles after the 4 clicks on the AFM it's running a little better but i still get flames at any gear change over 4.5K and i don't want to do any damage to my new baby!!!

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

Kieren

It might be me being overly cautious, but look at it this way.

£50 or so for an hour on the dyno
£600-800 for a new engine
£??? for Woodsport to pop new engine in.

Just my 2p worth, plus you can gauge the right position :)

Paul Woods
06-11-2008, 20:47
hi kieren,ive never condoned the afm mod because for me its too wild a thing to do to your fuelling,like using a sledgehammer to knock a panel pin in.... im not saying its a bad thing to do,i just think there are infinitely better ways to adjust your fuelling.

Its a poor mans mod in my opinion,but doing something like that is always going to be risky.

To check the diagnostic codes bridge Te1 and E1 ,same as mk2 turbo.

You will always see a code 42 due to how we wire them up,dont worry about that,perfectly normal.

Howlin_Mad
06-11-2008, 23:37
Might clock the AFM back to stock for the rolling road as i scored it at the original position.

My only problem is - i can't hear if the damn thing is pinking or not - the exhaust is just too bloody loud!

Sounds good through the tunnels though :D

Does this sound ok regarding the pinking issue and general sound?

(You'll have to make sure the sound is turned up!)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/11/31.jpg (http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/kgbrisc1/?action=view&current=_RGB2_20081102_215326.flv)

Kieren

Paul Woods
07-11-2008, 06:38
sounds perfectly normal to me,just too loud for my taste .... ive got a brand new departure sat here that i got for my v6 but ive gone right off it.

If you want to monitor what your fuelling is doing fit a wideband kit or at the least a basic AFR gauge,that way you can at least see if what you are doing to the AFM is dangerous or not.