Q. How often should I change my plugs?
A. Copper based (standard) plugs 4-6,000miles
Platinum 25,000 miles
Iridium 30,000miles

Q. How much are they?
A. Copper plugs are ~£2 each
Platinum plugs are ~£6 each (not £14!!)
Iridium ~£8 each

Q. Why are there different heat ranges? Which one should I use?
A. Part of your spark plug’s responsibilities, in addition to firing a spark, is to remove heat from the combustion chamber. This is accomplished by channelling the heat through the insulator material and metal housing. From there, the heat is transferred to the cylinder head where the engine cooling system can go to work. A spark plug’s heat range is its ability to dissipate heat. The colder the plug, the more heat it can channel out of the combustion chamber. In a performance application, colder heat ranges may be necessary to handle the extreme temperatures brought on by higher compression ratios, forced induction, and high RPM’s. While colder plugs may seem to be the way to go, please remember that the spark plug must achieve its self-cleaning temperature where it can burn off fuel and carbon deposits. Otherwise, the plug could foul out where it is prone to misfiring and poor acceleration. A plug that is too hot can overheat, also causing power loss, detonation, pre-ignition, and possible engine damage. A good, general rule of thumb is to start with the factory recommended heat range. For every 75 to 100 hp you add to your engine, you may go to the next colder step.

NGK and Denso use different heat range grading systems they are;
NGK Heat Grade Denso Equivalent
5 16
6 20
7 22
8 24
9 27
10 31

Q. Iridium’s are very expensive, what benefits do they have?
A. Until recently, platinum was considered the best material to use on the top of an electrode because of its durability. However, Iridium is 6 times harder, 8 times stronger, and has a melting point 1200 degrees higher than platinum. Put that into a harsh environment such as an engine piston chamber, and you have a spark plug that can resist wear much better than platinum. Iridium's extreme durability has also allowed NGK and Denso to develop smaller centre electrodes (0.6mm and 0.4mm respectively). This reduction in size, from a standard copper plug's 2mm electrode reduces the voltage requirements to jump the gap and create a spark. Denso and NGK recommend their Iridium’s only be replaced every 30,000miles (in some applications iridium plugs will last 120,000miles BUT NOT A SPORTSCAR!), and this is 5 times the life a copper plug.

Q. Why do you need to GAP a plug?
A. First off, you must not attempt to re-gap an Iridium plug. Trying to do so will damage the plug's electrode.
For copper plugs...too big a gap will create problems on boost, the spark is literally blown out by the air pressure before it has a chance to ignite the mixture, resulting in a misfire. A decent sized gap must always be maintained though as too small a gap will create problems at idle
and reduce the efficiency of the combustion process. Only adjust a gap by 0.1mm at a time and retest...if you go below 0.6mm and still have a miss-fire on boost I would suggest there is another problem not related to the sparkplugs (unless you are not using a plug in the correct heat range).

Q. Which plug is best?
A. An Iridium plain and simple. They are of superior construction, are more durable, spark better. This is according to the Denso and NGK blurb. Scare stories about Iridium’s causing detonation are not accurate. What is correct though is that unlike the copper plugs that melt and stop working, Iridium’s will continue working and detonation will destroy the next weakest point in the chain (pistons etc). However, one note of caution, in the past some people, have found that the ceramic insulator inside the tip of Denso made Iridiums has failed and sent a chunk of debris into the cylinder...and into the turbo causing damage. There have not been many cases and I believe most cases were in highly tuned vehicles but it is worth noting. In my opinion I believe that these failures have been linked to the mapping or tuning of the whole engine. If Denso had made a bad product, a) by now they would have fixed the issue, and b) they wouldn't risk their reputation on it and would stop selling them (Denso are a huge OEM parts manufacturer). I am happy that a properly tuned car running safe AFR's will run Denso or NGK Iridium's for a long time with no dangers. If you are in the process of tuning or are unsure if you are getting det then I recommend you stick with Copper plugs as these are cheaper to replace if you do suffer det and destroy the tips.

Q. HKS, TRD, Blitz, GReddy etc all make plugs too, shouldn't I buy them?
A. No. HKS and TRD are definitely Denso made Iridium’s. I would expect that the GReddy and Blitz one's are too...you are paying for a badge only, there is no difference between an £8 IK24 Denso Iridium and £11 HKS S40i. £3 per plug premium? No thanks!

Q. What about other makes, you've only talked about NGK and Denso?
A. Denso are the OEM supplier to Toyota. They should be in a stock car anyway which is why their range specifically caters for the Toyota. NGK are Japanese too and likewise have tried and tested plugs that are suitable for our use. Other makes such as champion, bosch etc may well produce something suitable...but it won't have been tested as much as the plugs I've recommended here. It's your engine, your choice.

Q. I've heard you can read plugs to see if you're running lean etc?
A. No you can't, not in an unleaded environment anyway. If you read the plugs all you will see is the evidence of it's last few seconds of use before switching off...so idle...which is closed loop and will be a perfect 14.7:1 afr unless your 02 sensor is up the swanny, but if it was the engine would not be smooth, it would be hunting for an idle and you'd know there was something wrong!

biteme
21-10-2008, 22:51
What to use when Mapping?
A. Use only copper plugs when mapping. Iridium plugs should be saved for an engine that is already mapped and tested on coppers. This is because the mapping process is fraught with danger and that danger is det. Detonation will ruin a copper plug, but the engine will be kept safe. An iridium plug is much more immune to det and other parts of the engine can suffer long before the plugs do. Stay safe and use copper plugs when mapping!

Plug selection
Note - This selection list does not take Nitrous into account. If you have Nitrous go one grade colder than this table advises at your boost/performance level.

Rule of thumb
Iridiums should always come pre-gapped correctly - altering the gap will cause damage. If you test the gap and it isn't correct return them to the stockist and check they got in the right version.

Normally Aspirated
NGK - Standard - BKR5ES-11 (2382) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - V-Power - BKR5EYA-11 (2526) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - G-Power Platinum - BKR5EGP (7090) - gap to 1.1mm
NGK -Laser Platinum - BKR5EP-11 (3440) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK -OE Laser Iridium - IFR5T11 (4996) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - Iridium IX - BKR5EIX-11 (5464) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
Denso Platinum - PK16R11 - gap to 1.1 (but always check first)

Turbo or Supercharged (or other upto 0.5bar)
NGK - BCPR6EP-11 - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - BKR6E (2756) - gap 1.1mm
NGK Iridium - BKR6EIX-11 (3764) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
Denso Platinum - PK20R11 - gap 1.1mm
Denso Iridium - IK20 - leave gap alone

Turbo or Supercharged @ upto 1.3bar
NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm
NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm
NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm
NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX/BKR8EIX - leave gap alone
Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

Turbo or Supercharged @ upto 1.8bar
NGK - BCPR8ES - gap 0.6-0.7mm
NGK - BKR8E - gap 0.6-0.7mm
NGK Iridium - BKR8EIX - leave gap alone
Denso Iridium - IK27 - leave gap alone

Information sources
Denso
NGK
Sparkplugs.co.uk
Personal experience
Previous discussions on this and other BBS's.

BSM
21-10-2008, 22:52
Very informative Johhny, now we know why we pay soooo much more for GOOD plugs.

biteme
21-10-2008, 22:52
Err is this aimed at anyone in particular :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: ?

No mate - just pilfered it from the Supra site

MRV6
21-10-2008, 22:54
What to use when Mapping?
A. Use only copper plugs when mapping. Iridium plugs should be saved for an engine that is already mapped and tested on coppers. This is because the mapping process is fraught with danger and that danger is det. Detonation will ruin a copper plug, but the engine will be kept safe. An iridium plug is much more immune to det and other parts of the engine can suffer long before the plugs do. Stay safe and use copper plugs when mapping!

Plug selection
Note - This selection list does not take Nitrous into account. If you have Nitrous go one grade colder than this table advises at your boost/performance level.

Rule of thumb
Iridiums should always come pre-gapped correctly - altering the gap will cause damage. If you test the gap and it isn't correct return them to the stockist and check they got in the right version.

Normally Aspirated
NGK - Standard - BKR5ES-11 (2382) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - V-Power - BKR5EYA-11 (2526) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - G-Power Platinum - BKR5EGP (7090) - gap to 1.1mm
NGK -Laser Platinum - BKR5EP-11 (3440) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK -OE Laser Iridium - IFR5T11 (4996) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - Iridium IX - BKR5EIX-11 (5464) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
Denso Platinum - PK16R11 - gap to 1.1 (but always check first)

Turbo or Supercharged (or other upto 0.5bar)
NGK - BCPR6EP-11 - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
NGK - BKR6E (2756) - gap 1.1mm
NGK Iridium - BKR6EIX-11 (3764) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.
Denso Platinum - PK20R11 - gap 1.1mm
Denso Iridium - IK20 - leave gap alone

Turbo or Supercharged @ upto 1.3bar
NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm
NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm
NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm
NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX/BKR8EIX - leave gap alone
Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

Turbo or Supercharged @ upto 1.8bar
NGK - BCPR8ES - gap 0.6-0.7mm
NGK - BKR8E - gap 0.6-0.7mm
NGK Iridium - BKR8EIX - leave gap alone
Denso Iridium - IK27 - leave gap alone

Information sources
Denso
NGK
Sparkplugs.co.uk
Personal experience
Previous discussions on this and other BBS's.

Err is this aimed at anyone in particular ?:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Ordered these NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX

Marksman
21-10-2008, 23:47
How much did those set you back mate?

Ta,

Owen.

Gwrinkle
29-01-2009, 11:11
Are the N/A plugs above for the 3SGE engine or the 3VZFE? #

The reason I ask is that the NGK website lists a BCPR6EP-11 as the standard iridium plug for a 3VZFE. What are people using here?

AlunJ
29-01-2009, 14:41
Q. I've heard you can read plugs to see if you're running lean etc?
A. No you can't, not in an unleaded environment anyway. If you read the plugs all you will see is the evidence of it's last few seconds of use before switching off...so idle...which is closed loop and will be a perfect 14.7:1 afr unless your 02 sensor is up the swanny, but if it was the engine would not be smooth, it would be hunting for an idle and you'd know there was something wrong!

Unless you're running nitrous, in which case this is the recommended method of checking things ;) But yes, only gives you the info for the last few seconds of running (which is all youre interested in when you're reading plugs anyway).

MRV6
29-01-2009, 17:07
How much did those set you back mate?

Ta,

Owen.

Opss sorry mate just picked this up. They were roughly £36 inc del. That was when we had a pound

MRV6
29-01-2009, 17:12
No mate - just pilfered it from the Supra site

Yeah I was going to post something like this up seeing as I'm one of the worlds leading experts in slugs and napping. Er plugs and mapping.

Bev
08-02-2009, 12:43
Top notch info Johnny! I'm running iridiums right now. I know now that if I want to megasquirt my engine coppers the way to go for tuning.

Thanks!!!!

Bevan