PDA

View Full Version : Vague steering

OlberJ
11-10-2008, 00:02
The old yin replaced the steering rack bushes for polyurethane ones but the steering still feels a bit too light and vague, although better than it did.

The car is lowered on Koni's and is running on 205 wide tyres all round.

It should feel a lot more planted but it's just no right.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Cheers,
Olie

biteme
11-10-2008, 00:11
If it's lowered, the geometry is different... less rubber on the road.

Simple alignment @ a good 3-D place will work wonders :)

millentubby
11-10-2008, 00:41
What tyres/pressures you running Olie?

quantumtools
08-04-2009, 22:03
Hey guys, light steering means front wheels of ground. Wheelie bars needed HAHAHAHA.

We corner Weighted out car the other day 970kg all up, remember the car is stripped and caged

LF around 140
RF around 145
LR Around 340
RR around 345

Just though I'd throw this in there for anyone how would like to know

nikwills
08-04-2009, 22:10
Hi Olie,
mine was a bit like that, if you notice mine has 195's all round is on std dampers on apex lowering springs, I really like the way that handles at the mo - it was on 205's and it felt heavy going slow and feathery at speed......give it a roadtest next week and see what you think....
cheers Nik

GregHoon
09-04-2009, 14:14
Could it not be in comparison to any other car(s) you're driving Olie? When i only use the mk1 then i don't notice it. Start using other cars and i really notice it on the motorway. It deffo grips and i feel confident at "advanced speeds" but it can really feel light and you notice it alot on windy days the steering gets somewhat vague. I have 195's up front and 205's rear. On koni's with lowered springs.

I need alignment doing soon. Is 3D alighnment very expensive compared to lazer alignment or is it the same thing...anyone? :D

OlberJ
09-04-2009, 20:40
I'd forgotten about this. Still got a judder on the steering wheel about 70(ish) but the vague steering has settled down nicely.

Need to get the allignment done still and some hubcentric spacers sorted.

Not driven it much in the last couple of months but hopefully have more sorted for the Highland Hoon at the end of May.

The track tyres i have are 195's and on the V6 i really don't feel confident with them, much prefer 205's all round and i'll be upgrading to some 15" 205 marangoni's or the likes in due time on the track tyres.

GregHoon
09-04-2009, 22:32
What about the offset like i have. Wider rears. If you have them then it's just a matter of trying. I find i don't understeer much except in certain weather conditions and have to really push my luck to get the rear out and it seems very controllable when it does. I don't even know what marangoni's are but they sounds good lol. I'll google them.

nikwills
09-04-2009, 22:58
Hi Olie,
seem to remember a thread a few months back along the same line steering judder at 70 mph was caused by a wheel balancing issue jimsr I think advised a particular setting on the machine but can't remember what that was but it's more accurate......

GregHoon
09-04-2009, 23:20
Yeah i remember that too:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=14143&highlight=steering&page=2

Read post 18

OlberJ
10-04-2009, 00:02
Yep, the whole thing needs set up professionally.

Any good recommendations around the Glasgow area?

David Sleith
10-04-2009, 09:27
Yep, the whole thing needs set up professionally.

Any good recommendations around the Glasgow area?

I went to Ken Brown Motorsport in Hillington.

He used to be a stage mechanic for the Subaru rally team. You could eat your dinner off his workshop floor but he aint cheap.

Number is 0141 8826757

OlberJ
10-04-2009, 16:32
Nice one chief. I'll have a word and see what i'm looking at. :thumbsup:

You got that S/C out of storage yet?

David Sleith
10-04-2009, 17:46
Been out a few times. Its only covered 6Km in the 2.5 years its been in the country now!

I'm gonna rag it this year though.

Getting an annoying squeal from a pulley after about 30mins driving. I suspect its the water pump about to go.