PDA

View Full Version : Items needed when swapping heads??

splintermcinnes
15-09-2008, 12:00
Hey guys, i am the proud new owner of TbarTurbo's heads that were modified by Fourveesix.lol :thumbsup:

now, erm, what else do i need, i am looking at doing the swap in situ as dont have crane or anything!

So, im guessing new head gaskets and wouldnt mind some ARP head bolts!
what about some vernier cam pullies??? obviously with the new heads come having the retime the engine, so i figure fancy pullies maywell eek out some hidden ponies!!

anyone have a full how to, or hints, parts tips i might need??

Ta.

Matt

splintermcinnes
15-09-2008, 17:09
cheers fella, well im away on ship till febuary so will be a long time before i attempt it, and by then it will be bloody cold out with no garage to do it in, unless i can by a house asap, but dont see that happening!! so as much as it pains me i might end up paying to get it done, really want to do it my self though, i play with hooooooooooooooooooooge engines for work, i kind of like working on diddy little engines as a hobby! but outside in feb is just poo!

in terms of auxiliary parts required though, whats the run down? head gaskets, exhaust and intake gesket and head bolts? will i need thread lock? got all the tools i need i think, big socket set spanners galor and a torque wrench, the usual shit!

cheers:thumbsup:

OlberJ
15-09-2008, 22:56
It is possible to remove the cams with the pulleys still on, bit of a bitch to get back in but totally doable if you can't get the camshaft bolts out.

splintermcinnes
15-09-2008, 23:41
haha, cheers guys, hopefully we get a miraculous weather shift and its damn hot in march (i get back 28th feb!) so will be able to do it myself. looking forward to it!

these front cam seals, are they part of the rocker cover gasket? will i need new ones of them to??

to undo the cam shaft sproket, is it a case of jamming a bloody big bar through the sproket and pulling bloody hard on the ratchet?? or is it more detailed? life is so much easier on an engine stand, but just dont have the facilities!! DOH!!>:[

splintermcinnes
16-09-2008, 10:24
any chance of a picture of said home made tool?

and after the swap i will have no need for them, so your more than welcome to them! either that or i was gona go clarkson style and make furniture from them!!

splintermcinnes
16-09-2008, 13:29
Very kind of ya fella,:clap: your name will be duly marked on them when i get home!

will PM ya my address. Ta.

hmm havent got a photo to hand, but i can do little doodley thing here i think to give you an idea...

|-----|--------------------

Basically looks like that with two stubs spaced to fit across the sprocket and a handle...

Ahh bugger it ill make you one.
Let me know where youre at and ill send you a shortened version that you can just slide a handle over. ;)

The heads i would be more than happy to take off your hands and ill obviously pay you for em.
Put my name down on em will ya? :)