PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable

oddball
23-08-2008, 14:30
Hi Guys,
Is there an easy way to take up the slack in the throttle cable without making a plate to adjust it at the throttle body? can it be done at the pedal end?

Paul Woods
23-08-2008, 19:32
yep,sounds like a bodge but its how we do them all..... takes minutes and very secure.

todd
24-03-2009, 16:05
Pretty much identical method to a lot of aftermarket cable kits matey and it works for them, so id use it meself! :) :thumbsup:

Might want to state as much on the other forum ;)

Paul Woods
24-03-2009, 18:29
I too have heard about a slating im getting elsewhere,but i don't go there so haven't actually read it... par for the course as far as im concerned,if i painted something the wrong colour they would call me a cowboy,fed up with their attitude in all honesty.

As for securing a cable with one of these blocks,it works very well,has done on over 50 conversions,i consider it more secure than using a single grub screw solderless nipple,at least these have a double security.If anyone has a problem with that then it's exactly that....their problem,i will continue to do it my way as i do with everything else.Their problem is what this block is normally used for and not its actual function on the cable,as johnny said narrow minded.

Tony any reason for the complete turnaround on your opinion of using these? As you know i respect your opinion,so if you think it's now wrong to use them id love to know whats changed between now and 6 months ago mate.

When i worked in the breakdown industry this was known as a common method for doing a permanent repair to a cable,in fact we used to carry rolls of cables and solderless nipples in the recovery trucks.The problem with the proper single screw nipples is just that,only one securing point,hence why i've always used the choc blocks which are double securing and all but the same bar the plastic covering.

Some people really do need to get a grip... but i do know what im up against on the OC,which is why i stopped going there many months ago.

OlberJ
24-03-2009, 18:37
Puegeot's were the worst for it, the solderless nipples pinch onto the cable at one point ang kink it slightly.

This is then rotated slightly time after time at the throttle body end and they wear pretty quickly. As i found out on the fast lane of the motorway one morning. :(

Having the connections on a straight bit of cable, which doesn't twist makes way more sense to me.

biteme
24-03-2009, 19:14
Tony, I can see you're pretty passionate about the belief, but I'm just curious about the line

Pretty much identical method to a lot of aftermarket cable kits matey and it works for them...

Won't these guys have thought about it? As you know, I'm no mechanic, but I'm sure a choc-block - if you take away the plastic shroud - is pretty much the same as the solderless nipple?

Critical commentary is good, it aids the evolution of a theme. But the fact that there's a lot of people who've undertaken the home brewed conversions with the same method and not found it to be problematic - it's essentially 2-3 people out of around 60-70 conversions done, which equates to a ratio of 3-4% roughly. You can't satisfy ALL of the people ALL of the time - some will always find a problem.

I respect your opinion hugely and will continue to do so - I just found it out of character to do a 180 degree turn in opinion in 6 months, especially with all of your experience in the motor industry.

Paul Woods
24-03-2009, 19:20
Okaaaay!...... given we have done more v6 conversions than any company on the planet,why isn't everyones cable failing?

Also to use the word "death" concerning a cable modified like this is overkill in the extreme .

I sent you a PM tony,please ignore it,i now know the score.Also im the first person that will listen to new ideas and different ways to do things,but i won't listen to a single word on the OC as i know im wrong there no matter what.If you decide to leave TB (again) it will be our loss,im just very surprised at your behaviour.

PS. V6 TPS's are £20 usually. :thumbsup:

biteme
24-03-2009, 20:03
I agree mate. I'm going to lock this now - and everything can be sorted by PM. Then I'll prune it.